View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toth
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 6:21 pm    Post subject: Mozilla stopped working Reply with quote

Mozilla has stopped working. When starting Mozilla, it takes my PC about a full minute or two before mozilla initially appears. After that it looks like it is trying to load the home page but it just sits there. I have let it sit there for 10 minutes and it never does anything else. Running strace, it appears to be doing something (several writev calls, etc., whatever they mean) but it just doesn't do anything.

I have tried moving the ~/.mozilla folder and running it...nothing. I have tried unmerging and re-merging mozilla...nothing. For reference, Mozilla 1.2.1-r5 is the version currently installed.

Recently, I ran an emerge -u world to update my system. After it completed Mozilla ran fine. The next day (today) after a reboot, Mozilla still worked. I then bookmarked a set of tabs, another page, adjusted my /etc/fonts/fonts.conf file to fine-tune anti-alias settings (as I have done in the past and everything continued to work fine). I then shutdown the X-server and restarted it. From that point on Mozilla has not worked properly. Any suggestions?
Esben
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 6:44 pm    Post subject: Profiles Reply with quote

...are the weak link in Mozilla, IMHO. Try mozilal --help, and then try to start the profile manager. If that works, try creating a fresh profile. If it doesn't work.. well, there's always lynx :-/
Toth
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, I tried that...if I bring up the profile manager it will take it a good minute or two just to bring it up. After that if I click "Start Mozilla" or anything, for that matter (create profile, etc.) it pretty much just hangs there.
Esben
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 9:32 pm    Post subject: kill it, then Reply with quote

try finding out where gentoo stores mozilla and kill it, then reemerge it. The first time mozilla starts it registers a bunch of .so's. That loader is a piece of mouldy code that should be taken out behind and given the mercy stroke(?). It has goto's and everything :o) Alternatively, you can try to disable the cache, but without debug output it's dang difficult to figure out what file it stores those cached registering in...

This entire manuever shouldn't affect your setting/mails/etc.
mmealman
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd completely unmerge it, move out the .mozilla directory and then remerge it.

If that still doesn't work then you have something messed up outside of mozilla that's causing the problem. In that case mozilla isn't likely the problem, it's just a symptom.
cyjoe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have sort of the same problem:
Yesterday i emerged mozilla 1.3 (with a "hacked" 1.3 beta ebuild) and everything worked fine. After a reboot today mozilla keeps crashing when i try to type text into the URL field. It just freezes. Only a kill -9 can quit mozilla. I already tried deleting my old profiles but this did not fix it.
I think I will wait for the official mozilla 1.3 ebuild.
Toth
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'd completely unmerge it, move out the .mozilla directory and then remerge it.

I did...I ran "emerge unmerge mozilla" moved the ~/.mozilla folder to ~/.mozilla-old and then ran "emerge mozilla"

Didn't help ;/

Or is there something else I should do in addition to "emerge unmerge mozilla" in order to remove it?
Esben
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 8:25 am    Post subject: despeate times calls for desperate means Reply with quote

You /could/ grap the sources from ftp.mozilla.org (be sure to get the 1.3 branch) and build them. If it doesn't work, at least it would be a debug build, so maybe you can see what's going on....
BoredSpy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try running (as root): fc-cache -f

After emerge -u world updated my errr fontconfig or freetype can't remember I encountered the same after a reboot. The above might help (it resolved all my crash issues.) Running fc-cache without the -f(orce) option did *not* fix the problem. I also restarted my xfs and then my X session for good measure. Not sure if that's really necessary or not.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: