Request for FTP Pruning
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xptos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 5:06 am    Post subject: Request for FTP Pruning Reply with quote

I would like to say that Gentoo is amazing. The time and energy the developers must devote to this project is GREATLY appreciated. If any of you guys ever end up in Tokyo, e-mail me...I owe you lunch and a beer!

Now for a gripe. I have been pulling the distfiles from the server at gatech.edu. I am putting together a distro cd for some friends who want to try Gentoo but have 56k internet access. I have been pruning, by hand, all the old sources. I understand that having old sources is good in some cases, but in the distfiles, it is at an extreme.

I counted 4 different versions of the 2.4 kernel tree, from 2.4.15 to 2.4.19. You have x4.2.0 and 4.1.0. KDE 3.0 and 3.0.1 are in there too. I could understand having KDE 2.X and then 3.X, X 4.x and 3.x, kernel 2.2.x and 2.4.x...maybe even a 2.5.x in there.

My point is this...someone needs to spend about 2 hours one afternoon pruning the tree of old stuff. I understand your busy schedules, but if you could prune a little, the bandwidth that you pay for would probably drop off quite a bit. I am sure that 1 of 10 people are just copying the distfiles like me. Just because I'm downloading off a mirror, doesn't mean everyone is. Speaking of mirrors, the rsync they do would also drop off.

I'm not sure how much it would help, but every bit counts...

Agian, thanks for your time and effort.

~Xptos
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Request for FTP Pruning Reply with quote

Xptos wrote:
I counted 4 different versions of the 2.4 kernel tree, from 2.4.15 to 2.4.19. You have x4.2.0 and 4.1.0. KDE 3.0 and 3.0.1 are in there too. I could understand having KDE 2.X and then 3.X, X 4.x and 3.x, kernel 2.2.x and 2.4.x...maybe even a 2.5.x in there.

That's because people use those different versions -- not everyone uses the cutting-edge stuff -- some folks like to stay one or two versions back, especially for kernel versions. Also, some people have to use older versions because of lib requirements, incompatibilities with other programs, etc.

Xptos wrote:
I understand your busy schedules, but if you could prune a little, the bandwidth that you pay for would probably drop off quite a bit.

The bandwidth would only decrease if people were downloading those files in the first place. If they're downloading the files in the first place, then they probably have a reason for wanting to use those versions, so why take that away from them?

Now, regarding pulling sources by hand -- what on earth for? Just do something like the following:

Code:
emerge -ep long list of package names here > package_download_list.txt

Do a little regexp work on the resulting file, feed it to wget and you have yourself all the packages you need, and none of the ones you don't.

--kurt
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: