Joined: 08 Apr 2002
Location: Wisconsin, USA
|Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 3:11 pm Post subject: [forums-announce] New Gentoo-Lite theme
|Josh Goebel (dreamer3) has taken the time to sit down and tweak the Gentoo template for speed. With an aim to help users running on 56k analog modems, he has cut off a fairly significant number of bytes out of the inner template loops. The new style may have rendering problems in some browsers, but both his tests and my tests show that any modern browser should not have a problem.
|Josh Goebel wrote: |
|Forum Index, View Forum, View Topic, and Posting were the main focus of improvements. I tried to reduce the code in the inner template loops as much as possible. This meant:
- Removing width= and height= tags when inside a repeated loop (doesn't matter once the images are in cache anyways)
- Removing title tags where not _truly_ needed (it is a lite style after all)
- Collapsing style sheets and combining styles...
This: <td class="one"><span class="two">something</span></td>
Becomes: <td class="one_two">something</td>
The new style one_two is of course created and visually duplicates the two individual styles combined. Works fine with newer Mozilla and IE though REALLY old browsers might not like this (not all recognize the 'class' attribute on TD.
- Extraneous nowrap, align=left, etc tags removed in favor of them already being defaults or else moved into styles.
- Some multiple column attributes moved into the parent TR in cases where the attributes are passed down to the children (align=center is a good example of this, don't need to specify it on EVERY TD)
- Removed Back to Top from each topic View Topic
- Changed the cool mini post image that links back to a specific topic to a link on the word "Posted" instead
- Removed the ICQ online/offline status indication which added quite a bit to the download even for people *without* ICQ listed at all. Now it just gets a pretty picture like all the others.
You've read all about it by now, and you are asking yourself how do I test it out?!
- Make sure you are logged in, if not, login.
- Go to your Profile.
- Scroll down to board style, and change the drop down box to "Gentoo-Lite".
- Hit submit and you are good to go!
- Kyle Manna
Please, please SEARCH before posting.
There are three kinds of people in the world: those who can count, and those who can't.