Doom3 sound prob pls read b4 replying 4'ums already searched
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadowknight
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject: Doom3 sound prob pls read b4 replying 4'ums already searched Reply with quote

My sys specs are:
Dell Dimension 2400
P4
1200+ RAM
nVidia 5200FX PCI with 256 DDR (Dell sucks no AGP or PCI-E)
SB-Live! (Dell OEM card (on board disabled in bios))
Alsa compiled in Kernel with oss support

The Problem: I'm pretty sure when I first emerge doom3 it worked great with no issues. Now however, the game runs flawlessly except the sound is crakling/metallic soundind. I've scour'd the forums and nothing helps. I've even downloaded oss and set sound system to oss and same results. I've checked my config file and it stays set to oss. I'm wondering about the pcm though it's set to "default". What does this do exactly and would changing it make any difference and if so, what would I change it to. I've run doom3 from a console and the only thing I see out of place is this line:
Code:
WARNING: ioctl SNDCTL_DSP_SETTRIGGER PCM_ENABLE_OUTPUT failed: Broken pipe
I'm at a loss, thinking about renaming dir's and re emerging to see if it works like it did originally. The only other games I have installed are NWN and Army Ops and both seem to be running great. All other audio using apps work great, just doom3? Thanks in advance and even if re-emerging works, I'd still like to know about that error(WARNING) message.

P.S. Beautiful game......runs much better for me in Linux......highest video settings @ 1024x768 glitch free.........winblows 800x600 only high settings and advanced options off.............now if I can just get some clean sound.......
sub_zero
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had some sound problems with doom3 and quake 4, both ID games. The sound kept crackling like yours I believe. It was fixed when I went into options and changed the sound settings "Surround Sound" to off.
shadowknight
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LMFAO Thanks man. There's no setting in the config for surround, though there is one for number of speakers. Instead of changing that I fired up the game and checked the in-game menu. The 2 options were stereo and surround. I had it set to stereo (using standard desktop speakers), but by changing it to surround it works LOL. Go figure. I've got my system set to oss, now I'll try alsa and see how that works out. Zombie killing time :twisted:

how do I mark this as solved??

EDIT: only partly solved :? The sound works but now when I switch back to alsa I get an error about starting the sound server something about invalid argument.
Code:
Sound server informational message:
Error while initializing the sound driver:
device: default can't be opened for playback (Invalid argument)
The sound server will continue, using the null output device.

If I switch back to oss everything works again. Guess I'll keep using oss. Also, I went back and checked my doom3 output and even though the sound is working now, I still have the pcm warning. I'd really like to know what's going on
sub_zero
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a strange problem. I have the same thing with cedega. Most games have to be run under oss, even though it's just emulated through alsa, since it's not installed.
shadowknight
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no big deal at least by having oss actually installed instead of just emulated I have more options open. For now it's working running whole sys on oss. Works for me.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: