Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
When is xorg 7.0 going to stop being hard masked?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrewwalker27
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: When is xorg 7.0 going to stop being hard masked? Reply with quote

Now xorg 7.0 is released, does anyone know when it will cease to be hard masked? I'd like to try it as I'm using ~x86 but if it is hard masked I'd assume there are major problems still.
Anyone got any information about where it stands?
atrus123
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This issue has been addressed before, and the answer is pretty much always the same: not for a while. It's Christmas, which means people are taking a break, and plus, this package is probably going to need some heavy testing.

J.
CptnObvious999
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atrus123 wrote:
This issue has been addressed before, and the answer is pretty much always the same: not for a while. It's Christmas, which means people are taking a break, and plus, this package is probably going to need some heavy testing.

J.

I agree, besides there arn't any programs that I know of that use its new features yet
irondog
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unmask it. Test it. Make bug reports. ;)
First of all: This modular Xorg-x11 will be default in Gentoo some time, that's why xorg-x11-6.9 is missing.

Back in the old days (even today) packags just depend on Xorg-x11 and that's it. Normally xorg-x11 (on Gentoo) would give you a fully bloated Xserver with all drivers, all extensions etc. But since the emergence of modular X dependancy tree's can be made far more optimal, which results in smaller installations, but also in more complicated dependancy relationships:
Some packages that belong to the modular Xorg-X11 might not be a direct dependancy of the Xorg-X11 server. But these packages might be a dependancy of any X related package in the portage tree ==> The dependancy's of all X related packages may become different, but certainly more efficient. So, say Xorg-x11 7.0 is stable as hell, we still have to wait for Gentoo to integrate it properly all over the portage tree.

As long as these dependancy's aren't properly configured for the greatest deal of all portage packages, it will be a bad idea for the Gentoo devs to unmask the modular Xorg (no matter how rock solid the Xorg's code is). In other words: a big part of the portage tree must be changed to use the modular Xorg packages. Meanwhile: wait or unmask.

The direct advantage of Modular X on Gentoo is that we'll save compile time whenever there are small bug-fixes anywhere in the source tree of Xorg-x11. So, even there is no damn difference between 6.9 and 7.0, I am glad with the new build system.
CptnObvious999
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

irondog wrote:
Unmask it. Test it. Make bug reports. ;)
First of all: This modular Xorg-x11 will be default in Gentoo some time, that's why xorg-x11-6.9 is missing.

Back in the old days (even today) packags just depend on Xorg-x11 and that's it. Normally xorg-x11 (on Gentoo) would give you a fully bloated Xserver with all drivers, all extensions etc. But since the emergence of modular X dependancy tree's can be made far more optimal, which results in smaller installations, but also in more complicated dependancy relationships:
Some packages that belong to the modular Xorg-X11 might not be a direct dependancy of the Xorg-X11 server. But these packages might be a dependancy of any X related package in the portage tree ==> The dependancy's of all X related packages may become different, but certainly more efficient. So, say Xorg-x11 7.0 is stable as hell, we still have to wait for Gentoo to integrate it properly all over the portage tree.

As long as these dependancy's aren't properly configured for the greatest deal of all portage packages, it will be a bad idea for the Gentoo devs to unmask the modular Xorg (no matter how rock solid the Xorg's code is). In other words: a big part of the portage tree must be changed to use the modular Xorg packages. Meanwhile: wait or unmask.

The direct advantage of Modular X on Gentoo is that we'll save compile time whenever there are small bug-fixes anywhere in the source tree of Xorg-x11. So, even there is no damn difference between 6.9 and 7.0, I am glad with the new build system.

I was wondering what all these x11 packages were doing on the online packages browser. So it is going to be like KDE is now, you can install the whole thing (like kde-meta) or smaller things (like kdenetwork-meta). I might just have to try 7 out soon. How stable is it right now? On a scale from 1 to 10 (1 being windows ;-) and 10 being the linux kernel).
BTW: im running ~amd64
Maedhros
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Desktop Environments to Gentoo Chat as this isn't a support request.
sian
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using it since several weeks and it works very well and is very stable !

The advantage is that when a package is updated, you do not need to compile the whole xorg-x11 7.0 program.
Moreover, I specified my video card to xorg-x11 and it is compiled only for this. You can also add the drivers you use.
This is also more convenient for devs.

The work they did is huge and important for future developpement.
irondog
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CptnObvious999 wrote:
I was wondering what all these x11 packages were doing on the online packages browser. So it is going to be like KDE is now, you can install the whole thing (like kde-meta) or smaller things (like kdenetwork-meta).
It's not the same. With the KDE thing it's Gentoo splitting up tarballs into pieces, into applications that can be installed independantly. It's more like: kde should do the same like Xorg => things that don't scrictly belong together should be provided into seperate archives. As far as I know there won't be such thing as a choice between meta or monolithic for X. It will be modular and only modular on Gentoo.

Also, Gentoo's way of compiling KDE sources is unique. Maybe some people were yealous on those RPM disto's being able to offer such small KDE installations. I wouldn't call the meta-thing the best solution, but it gives us at least the opportunity to get a slimmer KDE and small updates to certain parts are relativly painless now.

Quote:
I might just have to try 7 out soon. How stable is it right now? On a scale from 1 to 10 (1 being windows ;-) and 10 being the linux kernel).
It's not that easy. It works here, but it might not over there. The linux kernel also isn't the most stable piece of software out there. It works here, it crashes there. Software that interacts with (a wide range of) hardware is hard to rate stable in a short while.

sian wrote:
I am using it since several weeks and it works very well and is very stable !
The advantage is that when a package is updated, you do not need to compile the whole xorg-x11 7.0 program.
Moreover, I specified my video card to xorg-x11 and it is compiled only for this. You can also add the drivers you use.
This is also more convenient for devs.

The work they did is huge and important for future developpement.
Yes, and as you mentioned it's not only developpers taking advantage. Source distributions like Gentoo are benefitting from it right away, from the very first moment they splitted up the beast.
sian
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ :

If you want to install xorg-x11, you have this thread
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-377400-start-500.html

You must read this before :
http://dev.gentoo.org/~spyderous/xorg-x11/migrating_to_modular_x_howto.txt

And now you must do :
echo "virtual/x11 x11-base/xorg-x11" >> /etc/portage/profile/virtuals
castorilo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CptnObvious999 wrote:

I was wondering what all these x11 packages were doing on the online packages browser. So it is going to be like KDE is now, you can install the whole thing (like kde-meta) or smaller things (like kdenetwork-meta). I might just have to try 7 out soon. How stable is it right now? On a scale from 1 to 10 (1 being windows ;-) and 10 being the linux kernel).

This is just my own experience, YMMV.

I am running ~amd64 with a nvidia 5200 card with nvidia binary drivers and kde 3.5. I enabled accelerated compositing, so I have drop shadows and transparency. No issues at all for 1 week now.
CptnObvious999
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

castorilo wrote:
CptnObvious999 wrote:

This is just my own experience, YMMV.

I am running ~amd64 with a nvidia 5200 card with nvidia binary drivers and kde 3.5. I enabled accelerated compositing, so I have drop shadows and transparency. No issues at all for 1 week now.

Cool I tried enabling that with Xorg 6.8.2 and when I resized the windows it got funky glad they fixed that with 7.
rhill
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=112675
curtis119
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Toledo, Ohio,USA, North America, Earth, SOL System, Milky Way, The Universe, The Cosmos, and Beyond.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sian wrote:
@ :

If you want to install xorg-x11, you have this thread
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-377400-start-500.html

You must read this before :
http://dev.gentoo.org/~spyderous/xorg-x11/migrating_to_modular_x_howto.txt

And now you must do :
echo "virtual/x11 x11-base/xorg-x11" >> /etc/portage/profile/virtuals

That doc has become official now:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/modular-x-howto.xml
andrewwalker27
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That link http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/modular-x-howto.xml that you listed appears to be broken, just in case you're unaware.
Q-collective
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

curtis119 wrote:

ZOMG! Who is that ugly guy in your avatar!

Edit:
Oh right, this isn't OTW, darn me ^_^
Taldor
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/x/x11/modular-x-howto.xml
curtis119
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Toledo, Ohio,USA, North America, Earth, SOL System, Milky Way, The Universe, The Cosmos, and Beyond.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewwalker27 wrote:
That link http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/modular-x-howto.xml that you listed appears to be broken, just in case you're unaware.

Taldor wrote:
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/x/x11/modular-x-howto.xml

OMG! I swear it was at the first link yesterday. Docs team must have moved it last night.
curtis119
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q-collective wrote:
curtis119 wrote:

ZOMG! Who is that ugly guy in your avatar!

UGLY!!!???
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: