Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
audioconvert! the new super script to convert audio files!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thetroublemaker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: audioconvert! the new super script to convert audio files! Reply with quote

hi gals, hi dudes! :)

this is my first post to this forum! :)

i just made a script that converts audio files from wav, ogg, mp3, mpc, flac, ape or wma into wav, ogg, mp3, mpc, flac or ape! all with a right click of the mouse! that is, if you're usin' nautilus or rox. it was designed for nautilus, but it also works on rox, and of course as a standalone bash script. it uses zenity to show progress bars and ask questions :)

this is the freshmeat link: http://freshmeat.net/projects/audio-convert/ there you will find the latest version, the cvs version, and the link to the homepage!

please test it and give me feedback on the homepage on how it works, point me out bugs, make suggestions on how to improve it, and please test it on fluxbox and such, to see if it can be installed as a file manager script there, too!

aac support comin' soon!

ciao! :)

edo
Earthwings
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Multimedia to Unsupported Software.
CarloJekko
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is very good... THX!!!!
gimpel
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hummm, looks very interesting. wanna have it :P

now, any chance to get that working in nautilus without desktop mode?
nautilus --no-desktop --browser that is...

tried copying and chmod'ing it in ~/.gnome2/nautilus-scripts but that doesn't seem to do the trick...
thetroublemaker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gimpel wrote:
hummm, looks very interesting. wanna have it :P

now, any chance to get that working in nautilus without desktop mode?
nautilus --no-desktop --browser that is...

tried copying and chmod'ing it in ~/.gnome2/nautilus-scripts but that doesn't seem to do the trick...

there's a link about how to activate nautilus scripts in the documentation of the cvs version. but, to make it easy. after you chmod it and copy it to the right folder, you need to open that folder with nautilus, then restart nautilus. after that, it'll probably work :)

edo
thetroublemaker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thankyou very much for your feedback, gals and dudes! :)

uh, by the way. if someone wants to help me out with more translation, you're more than welcome to do so! you can either post'em here or in the savannah homepage as a patch! or send'em to me by email! by the way, don't forget to tell me your email address and possibly your name, or at least your nickname, so i'll put you in the changelog! :)

i already have italian, english, brazilian portuguese, and i need someone to complete french. all the other translations are more than welcome! :)

edo
Rainmaker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll do a dutch translation. Looks very nice. Any chance of an ebuild?

here's the diff:

Code:
--- audio-convert.org   2005-07-09 02:16:03.000000000 +0200
+++ audio-convert       2005-07-13 00:46:24.485356750 +0200
@@ -87,6 +87,22 @@
                ask_quality="scegli la qualit\uffff del file:"
                confirmation="vuoi convertire"
                decoding="sto decodificando il file:"
+       nl* )
+               title="audio convert "$version""
+               pleasesel="selecteer minimaal 1 bestand."
+               noselec=""$title" converteer audio bestanden. "$pleasesel""
+               choix="extensie van uitvoerbestanden:"
+               warning="waarschuwing"
+               proceed="bestaat al. overschrijven?"
+               recur=""$title" kan geen directory converteren. "$pleasesel""
+               conversion="converteren van bestand:"
+               ask_artist="voer naam van artiest in:"
+               ask_album="voer naam van album in:"
+               ask_song="voer naam van nummer in:"
+               ask_track="voer volgnummer in:"
+               ask_quality="selecteer de gewenste kwaliteit:"
+               confirmation="wil je converteren"
+               decoding="decoderen bestand"
 esac

#################################################

applies to 0.1.1
thetroublemaker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thankyou rainmaker, i've included your patch! it'll be available very soon in cvs, and then in the next release of audioconvert! :)

as far as an ebuild goes, it would be really nice to make one, but... how do you make an ebuild?

thankyou! :)

edo
lukaz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi thetroublemaker

I like your script a lot! not much trouble over here but... probale you can help :-) I've put your script in my ~/.gnome2/nautilus-scripts folder and it shows up in nautilus. It also comes up with some dialogs but never does convert any files if I call it from nautilus. It runs just fine from the commandline if I type something like:
Code:
ls -l
insgesamt 20
-rwxr-xr-x  1 lurker users 19301 14. Jul 13:33 audio-convert

luxer nautilus-scripts # ./audio-convert /home/lurker/Desktop/02\ theme\ from\ pack.mp3
/usr/bin/lame
/usr/bin/oggenc
/usr/bin/flac
ls: /home/lurker/Desktop/02 theme from pack.flac: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
luxer nautilus-scripts #

... but fails if I call it from nautilus. it asks me all the questions but the conversation-status-dialogues just flashes up and that was it - no file converted after that. how can I get some errormesage from gnome since nothing goes wrong from bash as regular user?

I'm not complet clear about the dependencies. It would be nice if you include the Gentoo specifc paths of the packages needed for your script! like..
app-shells/bash
gnome-extra/zenity
??? -> (awk) = sys-apps/gawk
media-sound/lame
media-sound/vorbis-tools
media-libs/libid3tag
media-sound/musepack-tools
media-libs/flac
??? -> mac

If the script is up and runing I can ceck the german translation i've made:
Code:
        title="Audio konvertier Skript "$version""
        pleasesel="Bitte wählen Sie mindestens eine Datei."
        noselec=""$title" verarbeitet Dateien. "$pleasesel""
        choix="Erweiterung der Ausgabedatei:"
        warning="Warnung"
        proceed="existiert bereits. Überschreiben?"
        recur=""$title" kann kein Verzeichnis konvertieren. "$pleasesel""
        conversion="Konvertierung der Datei:"
        ask_artist="Künstlername:"
        ask_album="Albumname:"
        ask_song="Songname:"
        ask_track="Titelnummer:"
        ask_quality="Wählen Sie die gewünschte Qualität:"
        confirmation="Wollen Sie jetzt konvertieren?"
        decoding="dekodiere Datei:"

if you can help me on that I would be realy luky. thanx lukaz

about making a ebuild.. still not done one working myself :-(
Gentoo Development Guide:
http://dev.gentoo.org/~plasmaroo/devmanual/
Ebuild HOWTO:
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/handbook/handbook.xml?part=2&chap=1
Contributing Ebuilds:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/ebuild-submit.xml
thetroublemaker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

version 0.2 has come out! :) visit http://freshmeat.net/projects/audio-convert/ to download it!

many new features, includin': it's now a lot easier to convert large groups of files. for instance, at the very beginnin' a question asks if we want to edit the metatags for each file or not, so we can say no and let the files convert. right after that, quality of compression is only asked once, before compressions take place, and it's used for all the group of files.

there still is a question askin' for each file if we want to convert it or not, but i think i'll make it optional in 0.2.1, so convertin' large groups of files will then become a snap of fingers! :)

dutch, french, to be completed, and brazilian portuguese translations added. german translation comin' soon! :)

for lukaz. try and see if the bug you found is fixed in this version! or else be more specific. what nautilus verions do you have? :)

please give me a lot of feedback! :)

edo
dapsaille
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello to you :p

I'm trying your software for only one thing convert FROM mp3 TO wma .. yes i'm a masochist person :p

So i hope your soft can do it ^^
lukaz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
gnome-base/nautilus
      Latest version available: 2.10.0
      Latest version installed: 2.10.0
      Size of downloaded files: 5,760 kB
      Homepage:    http://www.gnome.org/projects/nautilus/
      Description: A filemanager for the Gnome2 desktop
      License:     GPL-2 LGPL-2 FDL-1.1

still the same! If you want me to echo some variables I'll send my email-adress to you in a pm. What about the package list (dependencies)?

grtz
lukaz
CarloJekko
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've put it in nautlus script folder...
loswillios
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wanted to test it as well but unfortunately I get always this error (both, 0.1.1 and 0.2):
    sh audio-convert ../01.wma
    /usr/bin/lame
    audio-convert: line 597: [: !=: unary operator expected
    /usr/bin/oggenc
    audio-convert: line 604: [: !=: unary operator expected
    audio-convert: line 630: [: !=: unary operator expected
The window pops up, but there is no item in the drop down list so I can't do anything.

Also, I have to call it with "sh audio-convert .." cause "./audio-convert ..." gives me permission denied. of course i set the x-bit (755).

best regards
jan
loswillios
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey!

i've checked out the cvs-version and it's running! Wonderful!

A few improvements would be good:

- make spaces possible in filenames
- my Konsole is always garbled after running audio-convert, i.e I don't see what I type (tried aterm too)
- I got plenty of "mplayer -ao pcm:file=foo/bar.wav foo/bar.mp3"-zombies in my "ps ax"-output. killed them with killall mplayer but the mp3-file is only a few 100kb.
- Why use mplayer and lame simultaneously? I see in my top-list something like "lame -m auto --preset extreme Stand_up.wav Stand_up.mp3"
- konsole-output of the script is:
    /usr/bin/lame
    /usr/bin/oggenc
    ls: Stand_up.mp3: No such file or directory
But Stand_up.mp3 exists (even if it's only a few kb). I have the suspicion that the ls-output is inspected _before_ the file is converted.

keep on the good work!

greets
jan

ps. sorry for my english :/
thetroublemaker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello everyone! :)

audioconvert version 0.2.1 is out! visit http://freshmeat.net/projects/audio-convert to download it! :) a new feature has been added so that now it's possible to convert large groups of files with three or four clicks! support for flac metatags has been added! and now the script is available in german, too, thanks to lukaz! :)

keep in mind that new translations, or updates to translations, since there are a few new variables to translate, are more than welcome! :) as of now we have: italian, dutch, english, french, german, brazilian portuguese! submit more if you feel like, and don't forget to give me your email address, so i can quote you in the changelog! :)

thank you very much for your feedback, but please give me a lot more on how it works, and what features you would like included! :)

for dapsaille. convertin' to wma will almost certainly never be available. sorry dude. i encourage you to use the script though! :) for lukaz and loswillios. are your bugs still present in the new version? please let me know! i'll keep workin' on the script! :)

edo
DBordello
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I just found your script and love the concept. I have a few comments.

1.) It doesn't work over nfs (network) mounted file systems. I believe that this is due to the way nautilus passes the paths. Since all of my music is hosted on another computer i have to use the script from a shell.
2.) It would be nice to have some sort of defaults stored in a conf some where so that they aren't asked each time. I imagine that many people use the same quality each time.
3.) Would be nice to have a completely non-interactive version. Ie, uses the defaults stored and goes, and doesn't ask regarding each file.

So far you work looks great, keep up the good work.

dan
lduperval
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI,

My comments: I took a few wma files I have lying around and I ran the converter on it to convert WMA to WAV. The script (0.2.1) ended up converting part of the file only. When I ran the mplayer -ao command directly from the command line (without using the script), it converted the whole thing. FWIW, the generated file was 22MB when running the script and > 100MB when running mplayer directly.

You can test the files I was using here:

http://tikabzy.com/media.htm

There are three wma files to download.

I did the same conversions from MP3 to WAV and those worked fine.

L
thetroublemaker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello everyone! :)

version 0.2.2 is out! visit http://freshmeat.net/projects/audio-convert to download it! many new features are in, includin': artist and album metatag fields are now remembered through multiple files. added two checks to make sure the input files are supported and the user has the right codecs to decode them. now a message informs the user the conversion has been completed. updated french translation. spanish translation added.

i want to remember you that more translations and updates to existin' translations are more than welcome! as of now we have: english, italian, french, brazilian portuguese, dutch, german and spanish! :)

i hope you guys enjoy the new features, point me out to bugs, and keep givin' me the great feedback you gave me so far! :)

for everyone who's had issues so far: are the issues still present in this new release? :)

for lduperval. i'm afraid the wma to wav issue is still present. for some reason it don't work correctly. conversions from wma onto other formats work fine though. i'm workin' on it. i hope it'll be fixed in the next version! :)

edo
thetroublemaker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi everyone! :)

version 0.2.3 is out! check out http://freshmeat.net/projects/audio-convert to download it! new features include: a message warns about which codec is missin'. it's now possible to pass metatags on from one file to another. void metatags are now recognized and treated. updated german and spanish translations!

as usual i remind y'all that translations and updates to translations are always very welcome, as i want this script to be as widespread as possible! :)

thankyou very much for your feedback, keep it up and i'll keep answerin' your concerns! :)

edo
thetroublemaker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

version 0.2.4 is out! go to http://freshmeat.net/projects/audio-convert to download it! the new features include: files with dots in their name are now recognized, thus supported. completely rewrote filetype checks for efficency. this means, the program now runs faster! polish translation added. bug fixes! :)

as usual i remind you that any new translation or updates to existin' translations are more than welcome! i want this program to be as international as possible! :) also any suggestion to improvements, pointin' bugs out and all kind of feedback are always welcome! :)

that's it for now. keep givin' me the awesome feedback you've been givin' me so far, and i'll keep answerin'! :)

edo
predatorfreak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DBordello wrote:
Hello,

I just found your script and love the concept. I have a few comments.

1.) It doesn't work over nfs (network) mounted file systems. I believe that this is due to the way nautilus passes the paths. Since all of my music is hosted on another computer i have to use the script from a shell.
2.) It would be nice to have some sort of defaults stored in a conf some where so that they aren't asked each time. I imagine that many people use the same quality each time.
3.) Would be nice to have a completely non-interactive version. Ie, uses the defaults stored and goes, and doesn't ask regarding each file.

So far you work looks great, keep up the good work.

dan

I know I'll probably end up with a major split from the original source if I keep on hacking at audio-convert, but I'll attempt to add the configuration file part (maybe not perfectly) and supply a diff for latter integration.

edit 1: crap, it's happening already.
edit 2: By the time I finish the work just to fix the numerous scripting errors in here, I'll practically have a brand new script.
edit 3: mmk, maybe not an entirely new script, but I cleaned up alot of scripting errors and added a basic configuration file (right now it does nothing more then set the language XD).

Diff for audio-convert: http://www.dcaf-security.org/pred/audio-convert-predatorfreak.diff
audio-convert.conf: http://www.dcaf-security.org/pred/audio-convert.conf

Place audio-convert.conf in /etc/ and set it too your language.
thetroublemaker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

version 0.3.0 is out! i've been workin' on it for a while and now... the long awaited aac support has arrived! you can now convert from any format into aac, or from aac into any format, preserve or edit the tags... everythin' you used to do with audioconvert, except now it's with aac support, too! :)

as usual new translations are always welcome! as of now we've got many, but they need updatin'! so if any of you speaks one of the translated languages and finds that some messages are not bein' translated, please send me the updates, and i'll include you in the credits! :)

and keep givin' me the awesome feedback you've been givin' so far! try audioconvert! :)

edo
thrope
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

While I think this is a very useful tool I thought I should point out that converting between different psychoacoustic audio codecs is a really bad idea and should be avoided if at all possible.

This is because psychoacoustic compression works by applying a model of human hearing to eliminate portions of the sound that would be less likely to be perceived by the listener, usually because of auditory masking effects.
Different codecs use different models, and so, for example, the second pass can leave out components that were assumed to be there by the first encoding engine. Encoding with two different codecs usually results in sound quality that is significantly worse than encoding alone in either format.

Anyway I guess a lot of people listen on computer speakers won't really hear the difference... but it is there!

Keep up the good work!
amorpheus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:P http://djamo.gotdns.com/audio-convert-0.3.0.ebuild

Fix it :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: