Problem with Cups install of a HP Deskjet 940C Printer
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ralphdewitt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 6:56 am    Post subject: Problem with Cups install of a HP Deskjet 940C Printer Reply with quote

Hi:
I am triying to configure a HP Deskjet 940 C printer. I have two problem When I get to Code listing 1.6 and type it in it creats the text file but does not print. The printer is seen and recognized on paraport0 correctly.

The second problem is that after I have emerged the hpijs program and I run the code in code listing 1.10 I can not identify a id number to use for the foomatic configuration.

I hope some one can help me get the printer configured and the parallel port strantightend out. This is my first time that I have had this level of involement with my Linux system, and the six or so problems I have right now are overwhelming me. So I am trying to get help with one problem then move on to the next one. Thanks for your help in advance.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo.
harper
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not even sure what code listing 1.10 is but when i was setting up my hp deskjet690c recently I just went to www.linuxprinting.org and by selecting drivers=>HP=>and my model I got to a page where I could create a ppd file for my printer and then I put that file in /usr/share/cupsd/model/ and then in the cups printer config you will now be able to select "HEWLETT PACKARD" instead of HP (this is your new driver) and away you go....i'm not quite sure why cups decided to make things more difficult by removing a whole heap of drivers that used to be there but anyways there ya go.
ralphdewitt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 9:00 pm    Post subject: Hp Deskjet 940C cups problem Reply with quote

Thanks very much for your help. I will go there and try that. I am sure that it will work. Again thanks very much.
axses
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello I have spent countless hours trying to get the deskjet 940c working. After much searching I found a hint ! Use the 950c driver. So i went back the the printing tutorial on the gento page and used the 950c grep search. Everything worked smoothly from then onwards and network printing now works.

heres the my foomatic line which made me a happy camper.
foomatic-configure -s cups -p 273833 -c smb://xxx:xxx@wkst/hp -n test -d gimp-print

I just followed the steps and conected to localhost like in the tut and it werx :-)

gentoo: for those people that dont play golf :_)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: