kdelibs and gcc 3.2.2 compile fails
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mnemia
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 3:56 pm    Post subject: kdelibs and gcc 3.2.2 compile fails Reply with quote

Ok, I still haven't managed to successfully install KDE 3.1 on my system thanks to this problem so I thought I'd pipe up. I saw one other post with the exact same problem in response to another thread but no one had an answer for him so I decided to make a seperate topic for it.
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=40428&highlight=kdelibs
My problem is identical to lebox's error in that thread.

Compilation of kdelibs works fine all through the configure and compile phases but fails when attempting to link apparently. I'm not sure that the causes of my problem are the same as everyone elses' issues with gcc-config and 3.2.1+ though because I don't have any problems with linking any other programs that I've found so far. It seems to be isolated to kdelibs from what I can tell. C++ programs I've written myself link just fine and are definitely using gcc 3.2.2 to compile. I have no problems with my system finding the correct path to the compiler since it works fine in root/nonroot environments. However, it appears that the kdelibs ebuild is attempting to link with a libstdc++.so file from the gcc 3.2.1 profile and is not finding it since I no longer have that installed since upgrading to 3.2.2. And yes, I've run gcc-config 1.3.1 correctly and as far as I can tell it updated all the config files it was supposed to. Running env-update, source /etc/profile has no effect, and neither does a reboot. I've tried ldconfig, and about everything else I can think of and that I've seen suggested in other threads with similar issues to no avail. Those people all seem to be having path issues of some kind whereas in my case it appears that the kdelibs ebuild is refusing to look for its library in the gcc-3.2 profile which is symlinked to 3.2.2 (which does have all the necessary .so files). It instead tries to link to the 3.2.1 one.

I'm pretty baffled here: could this be an issue with prelink or something? Suggestions?
Yeric
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you got -alsa in your USE flags ?

if not put it in and then retry, I had a problem with kde 3.1 with gcc 3.22

but I emerge alsa first

then emerged kde but I suspect the - alsa should solve the problem, if not emerge alsa first, if you dont want it just unmerge it after kde is installed

Hope this helps
Mnemia
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I tried compiling it again with -alsa in my USE flags, and it died the exact same way. I'm reluctant to try the approach of emerging alsa first since I have to wait for basically all of kdelibs to recompile every single time this happens. Was your problem with kdelibs identical to the one I'm seeing?

Here is a clipping of the error I'm seeing:
Code:

libtool: link: warning: `-version-info' is ignored for programs
g++: /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.2.1/libstdc++.so: No such file or directory
make[3]: *** [libartskde.la.closure] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/kdelibs-3.1-r2/work/kdelibs-3.1/arts/kde'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/kdelibs-3.1-r2/work/kdelibs-3.1/arts'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/kdelibs-3.1-r2/work/kdelibs-3.1'
make: *** [all] Error 2

!!! ERROR: kde-base/kdelibs-3.1-r2 failed.
!!! Function kde_src_compile, Line 116, Exitcode 2
!!! died running emake, kde_src_compile:make

Does anyone have any idea why it's trying to grab that library from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.2.1/libstdc++.so when I don't even have 3.2.1 installed any more? I've looked everywhere I can think of and my environment doesn't seem to reference that directory anywhere I can find, though I'm sure I'm overlooking something. Should I just make a symlink into the 3.2.2 directory to fake the presence of this file? Is this a bug in gcc-config?

Note that I've not seen any other ebuild trying to do this; the others all link to the library that is in the correct place in 3.2.2. Any clue what's going on?
Mnemia
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I found some other threads about this problem that I somehow missed in my first session of searching. Sorry for the dup; please send this thread where it belongs.
Yeric
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:

libtool: link: warning: `-version-info' is ignored for programs
g++: /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.2.1/libstdc++.so: No such file or directory
make[3]: *** [libartskde.la.closure] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/kdelibs-3.1-r2/work/kdelibs-3.1/arts/kde'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/kdelibs-3.1-r2/work/kdelibs-3.1/arts'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/kdelibs-3.1-r2/work/kdelibs-3.1'
make: *** [all] Error 2

!!! ERROR: kde-base/kdelibs-3.1-r2 failed.
!!! Function kde_src_compile, Line 116, Exitcode 2
!!! died running emake, kde_src_compile:make

This is an identical error to mine, I am surprised the -alsa did not work, I remeber this problem from RC1 and kde and for some reason kde doesn't seem to like alsa because of arts, so when I had the problem with kde3.1 I just emerge alsa first, since I like alsa :) it was ok,

I know what you mean though it is really annoying hving to recompile it again it takes ages to do whole kde (18 hours) on my amd 1700XP+ and half gig ddr 266 ram, I have been trying to get distcc to work, but so far it emerges with errors so I am wading through threads trying to find a soloution

Good luck with KDE
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: