Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
HP B2000 and J5000, Linux on these? Gentoo or other.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zoom233
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: HP B2000 and J5000, Linux on these? Gentoo or other. Reply with quote

I have two B2000 and one J5000. I know very little about them except they are heavy (maybe a little more than that but not much). I'm trying to figure out if I want to keep them or not and if I keep them what exactly to do with them. I looked on eBay and seems I can buy install media for HP-UX but does anybody know if I can install it without some sort of code or license from HP? I'd install Linux but it seems I managed to get three machines with video that won't work under linux (FX/e and FX/6). Can I install Linux and just use a console? Is any graphics output possible with the stock video adapters?

If I can install HP-UX or Linux what would these machines be usefull for? What were they used for originaly with HP-UX on them? I'd imagine that I could run a wicked web server on one and a database on another. I'm sure they are far more powerfull than needed for my 384K DSL line. I suppose the "cool" factor in that is there but there could also be a profit factor if I sold them and I'd be able to buy a pretty wicked fast PC for the money earned and Linux is easy on a PC.

Lots of questions I know, thanks for any answers,
Bryan
HPRichard
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The machines should work with Linux, at least with a serial console.
A simple text console might work (with the VisualizeFX), but X does definitely not work as of yet, but there are some people working on it.
The machines offer some decent performance, and a graphics console including X will most probably work with a Matrox G200 or something like that.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: