A couple suggestions about the install guide and on USE flag
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fireflayer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 10:05 pm    Post subject: A couple suggestions about the install guide and on USE flag Reply with quote

First off, I found the install guide incredibly useful... I got it working on my first try.

Now here's some things I thought should be changed on the guide:
1) In LILO setup part (and in several other places) the kernel location is stated as /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20. From what I've seen this is fairly outdated, and isn't where it will be if you follow the guide. I think that all mentions of this location should be changed to /boot/bzImage
2) From what I've read on the forums there's now support for the p4 architecture, yet in the guide is specially says there isn't suppose and to put in p3 instead. If it's true that there is suppose for p4 then it's imperitive that this is updated, as SSE2 seems to make a fair amount of difference on things with a fair use of it.

Also, why in god's name is 3dnow a default USE flag? I'm pretty sure this is only an AMD Athlon optimization... and I think it's safe to say that there are quite a few people who don't have an Athlon. If there's a reason for this that I missed I'd appreciate someone telling me the reason.
omega
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always wondered about that default 3dnow flag. I just figured they knew something I didn't. Thanks for the moral support. :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: