View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pavera
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 11:33 am    Post subject: CD-R Software Reply with quote

I know we just had a huge thread about which is the best...
but, I can't get any of them to burn data...
arson, xcdroast, simplecdrx, kreatecd, koncd I've tried them all, and they all burn audio just fine, but all die at different points when trying to burn data.
arson doesn't let me add files to the "data cd" dialog box, the files simply never add...
xcdroast doesn't seem to have a straight data capability, simplecdrx lets me add files to the queue, but when I hit burn, it works for about half a second, and then says "finished" but it never accesses the burner, and it outputs an error to the command line saying it couldn't delete the tmp.iso file, although it never created said file (which is prolly why it can't delete it). kreatecd hangs as soon as I try to open a the data cd mode it opens a dialog box that says "KreateCD is working..." Calculating ISO 9660 size, with a progress bar, that sits at 0% indefinately, and it never moves, it just hangs, the only way to kill it is to go in and kill the process. koncd doesn't work either...
any ideas?
I got kreatecd to go a little farther now... I can add files, but when I click on "Write CD" it just sits there and does nothing...
magoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you sure mkisofs or other required tools (by the gui's) are installed correctly? and if so, have you tried command line data burning?
craftyc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I prefer command line to GUI. It is much easier to debug errors and such. I use cdrecord for data (unless I nedd to burn bin/cue images) and cdrdao for audio.
pavera
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I reemerged the cdrtools, and then I could burn data, but most of the problems I reported still occur, I got arson to create an ISO, and then I could burn a CD from that.. But if I need to burn multiple directories I still can't (arson will only create an iso from 1 directory, including all its subdirs, but if I have 2 or 3 directories on the same level, I'd have to burn 2 or 3 cds) kreatecd still doesn't do anything when I click on the Write CD button, and arson still won't let me just add files/directories to its drag n drop interface. koncd worked (also the same way as arson, I could add 1 root directory to the cd, but if I needed 2 or more, I would be out of luck).
how about a code snippet of how to use said command line tools? I've read enough man pages to make me sick today.....
say I want to burn the directories foo, bar, and fred and all of their subdirs onto a cd, keeping the directory structure intact, how do I do that with cdrecord?
How about the command to erase a CDRW disc?
(I only rip audio cds, I don't generally burn them, and if I do arson does audio burning just fine)
so I'm mainly worried about data
sulu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmm

If my grey cell works then i remember a program named mkiso?? or something similar which allows you to create an iso-image out of one or more directories. The iso-file should be esaily be brunde on a cd.

So my tip:
create an iso and burn it to the cd.
(Have to try it by myself, think i'll burn the distfile-folder to CD)

Sulu
pavera
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, thats what I'm burning :) mkisofs is the program that makes iso's but its not exactly intuitive, or easy to use (there are about 5000 options) and I don't have time to read that man page...
and, the iso's that I've made so far don't keep any directory structure, they just recursively drop through the directories and put the files right on the root of the CD with no directories whatsoever (unacceptable must have directory structure on CD).
sulu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you are not right, there are only 4532 options .

But, at the end of the man-page there are some examples of how to call mkisofs. i think i remember at least one of them deals with keeping the directory structure.
Sorry for beeing that unprecise but i'm sitting at my Win-box at work.
Anyway, i'll follow your progress with interest because my experience with cd-burning wasn't very encouraging so far (just got by burner to work).

Greetz
Sulu
Zu`
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: CD-R Software Reply with quote

pavera wrote:

xcdroast doesn't seem to have a straight data capability

I think it does?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: