View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zojas
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the ntp-client seems to be designed to set your clock once to get it in the ballpark. then ntpd runs after that.

this used to be handled by the ntpd script.
dju`
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 5:50 pm    Post subject: hello Reply with quote

i tried to run my own ntpd server for my lan, but it seems it can't synch to ntp servers on the internet. look at what i get an hour after having launched ntp-client and ntpd :
Code:
$ ntpq -p
     remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset  jitter
==============================================================================
 imag.imag.fr    0.0.0.0         16 u    -   64    0    0.000    0.000 4000.00
 dns.univ-lyon1. 0.0.0.0         16 u    -   64    0    0.000    0.000 4000.00
 ntp.unilim.fr   0.0.0.0         16 u    -   64    0    0.000    0.000 4000.00
 imag.imag.fr    0.0.0.0         16 u    -   64    0    0.000    0.000 4000.00
 ntp.internet-fr 0.0.0.0         16 u    -   64    0    0.000    0.000 4000.00
 soleil.uvsq.fr  0.0.0.0         16 u    -   64    0    0.000    0.000 4000.00

Code:
$ ntptrace
localhost: stratum 16, offset 0.000052, synch distance 0.00539
0.0.0.0:        *Not Synchronized*

here is my ntp.conf :

Code:
server          ntp.imag.fr
server          ntp.univ-lyon1.fr
server          ntp.unilim.fr
server          ntp.imag.fr
server          ntp.internet-fr.net
server          ntp.uvsq.fr

logfile         /var/log/ntpd.log
driftfile       /var/lib/ntp/ntp.drift

restrict default ignore
restrict 127.0.0.1
restrict 192.168.0.0 mask 255.255.255.0 notrust nomodify notrap

what's wrong with that ?
zojas
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

probably your 'restrict' lines?

I don't use 'restrict', I just rely on my firewall, I should probably look into it though
dju`
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that was it, thanks. i'll have a deeper look at the restrict option.
dju`
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some news about restrict:

here is my config for my local ntp server (192.168.0.1 on my 192.168.0 network), it is currently working.

Code:
# allow all from localhost
restrict        127.0.0.1

# allow synchronisation from the lan
restrict        192.168.0.0     mask 255.255.255.0      notrust nopeer notrap noquery

# allow public servers we are synchronizing to to send information
# ntp packets (modes 6 and 7)
# it seems this is needed for sync to work!
#
# restrict        public_ntp_server_ip   noserve nomodify        # a public ntp server

# examples i use :
restrict        164.81.11.1     noserve nomodify        # ntp.unilim.fr
restrict        129.88.30.1     noserve nomodify        # ntp.imag.fr
restrict        212.37.192.31   noserve nomodify        # ntp.internet-fr.net
restrict        193.51.24.1     noserve nomodify        # ntp.uvsq.fr

# ignoring the rest
restrict        default         ignore

the public_ntp_server_ip are the ip adresses of the public servers you try to sync to, there should be a restrict line per server line.

almost the same thing for the others hosts on my lan, that sync to my ntp server :

Code:
restrict        192.168.0.1     noserve nomodify        # my ntp server

i hope this will help.
meowsqueak
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks carlos123 - this seems to be working perfectly for me. Perhaps you could update your original post to include the ntp-client info and rc-update-ing ntp-client and ntpd.
Kirigoe
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks! hopefully this'll be more accurate than simply running ntpdate as a cron job.

if you're looking for stratum 2 servers to sync with, here's an updated list of 174 servers all around the world: http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/clock2a.html

- kiri
k12linux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tovrstra wrote:
1) Why should /etc/init.d/ntp-client be started first. It only starts ${NTPCLIENT_CMD} >/dev/null ${NTPCLIENT_OPTS}. In my case NTPCLIENT_CMD="ntpdate" and NTPCLIENT_OPTS="-b ntp.telenet.be" After that I start /etc/init.d/ntpd and everything works fine.

If for some reason your clock is way off at boot, ntpdate will force it to the correct time. The reason you might want to do this is that ntpd (depending on it's config) will refuse to adjust your clock if it is too far from "actual" time.
carlos123
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so everyone knows I am going on an extended business trip that will take 6 months to a year and will not have the ability to update this FAQ item the way it deserves to be. For a few months at least I will not have my own computer or Internet connection.

So if someone could take over the upkeep of this FAQ item I would appreciate it. Let me know if I need to do anything in terms of making it possible for someone else to keep these instructions up to date.

Thanks.

Carlos (author of the instructions at the top of this thread).
jshaw523
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do a netstat -ta to make sure your time server, if running at all, isn't availible to the outside world. For instance, on my machine it is there but bound only to localhost, not to * which would mean it was bout to my external IP as well.
Woollyfoot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you mean
Code:
netstat -ua

since ntp uses udp, not tcp.
angelacb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dJu` wrote:
some news about restrict:

here is my config for my local ntp server (192.168.0.1 on my 192.168.0 network), it is currently working.

Code:
# allow all from localhost

# allow synchronisation from the lan
restrict        192.168.0.0     mask 255.255.255.0      notrust nopeer notrap noquery

# allow public servers we are synchronizing to to send information
# ntp packets (modes 6 and 7)
# it seems this is needed for sync to work!
#
# restrict        public_ntp_server_ip   noserve nomodify        # a public ntp server

# examples i use :
restrict        164.81.11.1     noserve nomodify        # ntp.unilim.fr
restrict        129.88.30.1     noserve nomodify        # ntp.imag.fr
restrict        212.37.192.31   noserve nomodify        # ntp.internet-fr.net
restrict        193.51.24.1     noserve nomodify        # ntp.uvsq.fr

# ignoring the rest

the public_ntp_server_ip are the ip adresses of the public servers you try to sync to, there should be a restrict line per server line.

almost the same thing for the others hosts on my lan, that sync to my ntp server :

Code:
restrict        192.168.0.1     noserve nomodify        # my ntp server

i hope this will help.

Hi, for this setup, does it require me to open ports 123 for the servers:
Quote:
restrict 164.81.11.1 noserve nomodify # ntp.unilim.fr
restrict 129.88.30.1 noserve nomodify # ntp.imag.fr
restrict 212.37.192.31 noserve nomodify # ntp.internet-fr.net
restrict 193.51.24.1 noserve nomodify # ntp.uvsq.fr

Or does UDP/TCP ports on 123 only used by my local NTP clients trying to sync with my ntpd server and my ntpd syncing Stratum 2 servers doesn't require any specific ports to be open on the firewall?

Best Regards,
uglyman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 10:00 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

thanks everybody. It took me a couple of tries, but I got this all working now!

as for the previous question, I did not have to forward any ports on my router to get this working. I think you would only have to if you run your own ntp server for machines outside your LAN. I am no networking wizard though.

thanks again!

uglyman
sgtrock
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, all.

One timekeeping requirement that I haven't seen identified yet has to do with limited Internet connectivity. I'm on an ISDN line at home that has generous but not unlimited metered usage. In addition, my personal requirements are such that I can easily ignore as much as a minute difference between my systems and the authoritative ones.

I've got a couple of desktops running Gentoo, a laptop running Debian, and a server that I'm planning to build as Gentoo.

Ideally, what I'd like to do is set up my timekeeping on my server to only request an update once a day. I would then use that server to update the rest of my subnet. Until I get the server up, I'm OK with setting up each PC to check once a day.

Unfortunately, I can't figure out from the Gentoo docs or the manpages how to do that. I thought about just setting up a cron job to run it. Two issues, though. I'm struggling with what the command should look like. Should I call /etc/init.d/ntpd and tweak /etc/conf.d/ntpd.conf to run '-q'? Several guys have stated that using ntp -q frequently isn't the right approach due to the extra traffic it creates. Should I do something else?

Or am I looking at the wrong files completely?

Also, I'm lucky in that my ISP does an excellent job of supplying network resources. They have a DNS round robin set up between 3 different local timeservers. Their three timeservers are getting their time from I think 5 different global servers. Since my needs don't require super tight timekeeping, I plan to use just the DNS entry for my timeserver; ntp.visi.com (only available to Visi customers, btw). Does anyone see a major issue with that?

TIA,
SgtRock
shadow303
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that you should just set the minpoll and maxpoll options on the server and otherwise run everything normally. I have never tried using this before, but I believe that for what you want, you set:
minpoll 17
maxpoll 17

The seventeen indicates and interval of 2^17 seconds (36.4 hours). Using a 16 would bring it down to 18.2 hours. I got the info from http://www.gsp.com/cgi-bin/man.cgi?section=5&topic=ntp.conf so you might want to check there.
kamagurka
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for some reason this doesnt work for me. there should really be no problems, as i'm not on a network or have a firewall. when i try ntpd -q it hangs there for indefinite time until i kill it. if i try ntpdate he exits at once with "no servers can be used, exiting".
i have already scoured multiple threads on this and usually its pretty confusing; as far as i can tell ive done everything correctly. heres my ntp.conf:
Code:

# Name of the servers ntpd should sync with
# Please respect the access policy as stated by the responsible person.
server ntp.tuxfamily.net
server tick.keso.fi
server ntp.ndsoftwarenet.com

#local backup:
fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 3
server 127.127.1.0

# you should not need to modify the following paths
logfile   /var/log/ntpd.log
driftfile /var/lib/ntp/ntp.drift

# If you want to deny all machines (including your own)
# from accessing the NTP server, uncomment:
#
restrict default ignore
restrict 127.0.0.1

mbjr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:36 am    Post subject: listen :-) Reply with quote

Is there any way to tell ntpd to listen on 1 ip address only? I was checking the manuals and well, no info on that. :(
BlindSpy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking around so much and reading sooo many lengthy guides on how to do this with no success. I wish I would have looked here first because it worked perfectly and only took a few minutes! thanks a lot for the great guide!
mbjr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the guide is perfect, thank you Carlos! :-)
mbjr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Time synchronization with ntp daemon. Reply with quote

Let me do a quick hungarian translation for this howto :-) I'd really appreciate if Gentoo admins decide to make these instructions available for the big-public (post in on gentoo.org's System Administration Documentation section) :-P

GYORS INDÍTÁSI INSTRUKCIÓK NTPD FUTTATÁSÁHOZ

A következõ instrukciók vérgehajtása során az ntpd program települni fog. Sikeres végrehejtás esetén az ntpd folyamatosan karban tartja majd a rendszeridõt. Ez annyit jelent, a számítógép rendszeridejét szinkronizálja az idõ-szerverek idejével, interneten keresztül.

1. # emerge ntp
  2. # cp /usr/share/ntp/ntp.conf /etc/ntp.conf
  3. Keress három idõszervert a ezen
    az oldalon. Megjegyzés: NE használj Stratum 1 kiszolgálót, csak ha erre jogosult vagy! Legalább három idõszerver használata némi biztonságot jelent arra nézve, hogy az idõ biztosan szinkronizálódik, ha egy vagy több kiszolgáló nem elérhetõ.
  4. # nano /etc/ntp.conf
    Megjegyzés: vagy használhatsz bármilyen más szerkerztõt, mint pl. a vi, vim, emacs, stb.
  5. Vedd fel a "server <idõszerver_domain_név>" sorokat minden idõszerverhez, melyeket korábban kiválatsztottál.
    Megjegyzés: NE add hozzá az "iburst"-t ezekhez a sorokhoz, ha folyamatos internet-kapcsolattal rendelkezel, mint pl az ADSL, kábel, és a legpontosabb szinkronizációt szeretnéd! Ellenkezõ esetben az idõ kb óránként egyszer frissül, egy löketben (burst). Az "iburst" inkább azoknak való, akiknek külön el kell indítani és utánna leállítani az internet-kapcsolatot, mint pl a betárcsázás (dial-up).
  6. # nano /etc/conf.d/ntpd
  7. Uncommentáld az NTPDATE_CMD="ntpdate" sort.
  8. Uncommentáld az NTPDATE_OPTS="-b someserver" sort.
  9. Írd át a "someserver" szót az általad választott idõszerverek egyikének domain nevére.
    Megjegyzés: Egyenlõre nem tudom, hogy hogyan lehet ide több szervert is felvenni.
  10. # /etc/init.d/ntpd start
  11. # rc-update add ntpd default
  12. Ellenõrízd, hogy az idõt a kövekezõn keresztül sikerült frissíteni:
    http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/cgi-bin/timer.pl (csak az Észak-Amerikai régióra érvényes - használd a http://www.worldtimeserver.com/-ot nemzetközi idõk megszerzéséhez).

13. Ellenõrízd, hogy az idõszerverekhez sikeres a hozzáférés az "ntpq -p" parancs megadásával egy parancssorban. Látnod kell a hozzáféréseket a szerverekhez a kimenetben.

Az errõl szóló beszélgetéseket a https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=240688#240688 oldalon találod.
Köszönet fórum tagjának, cederbergnek, aki eredetileg az ötletet adta jelen instrukciók elkészítéséhez.

Ha kikapcsolod a számítógéped és utánna megint be, és az idõ frissítésére egy jó ideig nem kerül sor, akkor elõfordulhat, hogy az ntpd addig nem hajlandó futni, amíg manuálisan újra nem állítod az idõt. Ezt a következõképpen teheted meg:

1. # /etc/init.d/ntpd stop
    Megjegyzés: csak azért, hogy minden ami esetleg az ntpd-t használja, vegye tudomásul, hogy most stop van.
  2. Állítsd be az idõt manuálisan!
  3. # /etc/init.d/ntpd start
    Megjegyzés: mindent újraindítasz, hogy az ntpd újra mûködõképes legyen.

Ha a fenti instrukciók nem mûködnek, akkor nézz bele az ntpd naplóállományba (/var/log/ntpd.log) bõvebb betekintést nyerve ezzel a lehetséges okokba.

Néhány egyéb megjegyzés:

az ntp egy protocol. az ntpd egy daemon, ami egyben ntp-szerver (idõt szolgáltat), és egy ntp-kliens (idõt szinkronizál). Az ntp szerver nem túl hasznos, ha nem külsõ helyrõl szerzi az idõt. Gentoo alatt "emerge ntp" telepíti az ntpd-t-

Ha pontatlanságokat találsz jelen instrukciókban, kérlek küldj nekem egy email értesítést, hogy felkutassam és megvizsgáljam az instrukciókat. Minden e-mailre válaszolok, még ha pár napig eltart is.

A privát email küldése segít megakadályozni, hogy aki jelen szálat olvassa, összezavarodjon a külömbözõ megjegyzésektõl.

Email küldéséhez csak nyomd meg a "pm" gombot a szál alján!

Ha jelen instrukciók segítségedre voltak, örömmel hallanék arról is. :)

Köszönettel:

Carlos

UI: Ha meglepõdsz azon, hogy hány alkalommal szerkesztettem jelen instrukciókat, akkor tudomásodra hozom, hogy ez a legegyszerûbb és legjobban érthetõ magyarázatok és megjegyzések keresésének tudható be, nem pedig annak, hogy az alap-instrukciók tele voltak hibákkal.
[/quote]

So how about this? :o) Please feel free to take this translation based on the instructions by Carlos. This one was made to make the opensource community more happy :-D
nianderson
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Time synchronization with ntp daemon. Reply with quote

carlos123 wrote:

[*] # nano /etc/conf.d/ntpd
[*] Uncomment the NTPDATE_CMD="ntpdate" line.
[*] Uncomment the NTPDATE_OPTS="-b someserver" line.
[*] Replace "someserver" with the domain name of one of the three servers you chose.
Note: I am not yet sure how to add multiple servers to this line.

i think in the new ebuilds this is in /etc/conf.d/ntp-client
mbjr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, you're right, we have to get Carlos to make some modifications (update) :o) But after all, its a great start-guide to ntp :P
nianderson
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh just the noobs would be lost there ;)
but it is a great guide
mbjr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey :o) Help the noobs, get Carlos :P
Andersson
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carlos123 wrote:
Just so everyone knows I am going on an extended business trip that will take 6 months to a year and will not have the ability to update this FAQ item the way it deserves to be. For a few months at least I will not have my own computer or Internet connection.

So if someone could take over the upkeep of this FAQ item I would appreciate it. Let me know if I need to do anything in terms of making it possible for someone else to keep these instructions up to date.

Thanks.

Carlos (author of the instructions at the top of this thread).

Since carlos123 asked to be relieved of the responsibility of updating this guide, how about merging with the other ntp thread?

edit: On the other hand, completely rewriting the first post of the other thread to include this guide will make the rest of the thread very difficult to read. If anything, that thread should merge to this, we have the guide! ;)

Oh well, I read through this thread (and the other) and tried to get all changes to the original list. Here's the updated version (I hope new readers in the thread find it here)... It should include most of the corrections in this thread, but I haven't tested it to see that it works. Find an error and correct it please.

changelog:
removed cp /usr/share/ntp/ntp.conf /etc/ntp.conf, no longer needed.
added uncomment the "restrict" line that matches your situation.
replaced nano /etc/conf.d/ntpd with nano /etc/conf.d/ntp-client in #6.
removed Uncomment the NTPDATE_CMD="ntpdate" line, no longer needed.
added open up for udp on port 123.

carlos123 wrote:

1. # emerge ntp
  2. Find three timeservers from here.
    Note: do NOT use a Stratum 1 server unless you are authorized to do so! Using at least three time servers will ensure that your time gets updated if any one or more of the three is not available at any one point in time.
  3. # nano /etc/ntp.conf
    Note: or use any other editor like vi, vim, emacs, etc..
  4. Add "server <your_timeserver_domain_name>" on a seperate line for each of the three time servers you chose earlier.
    Note: do NOT add "iburst" to these lines if you have an always on connection to the Internet like ADSL or cable if you want the most accurate time synchronization. Otherwise the time will only be updated about once an hour in a burst. "iburst" is really more for those whose internet connection will generally be getting started and stopped such as with dial-up.
  5. # uncomment the "restrict" line that matches your situation. Look at the comments.
  6. # nano /etc/conf.d/ntp-client
  7. Uncomment the NTPDATE_OPTS="-b someserver" line.
  8. Replace "someserver" with the domain name of one of the three servers you chose.
    Note: I am not yet sure how to add multiple servers to this line.
  9. # If you're using a firewall, open up for udp on port 123.
  10. # /etc/init.d/ntp-client start
  11. # /etc/init.d/ntpd start
  12. # rc-update add ntp-client default
  13. # rc-update add ntpd default
  14. Verify that correct time was set by going to
    http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/cgi-bin/timer.pl (for North American time zones only - use http://www.worldtimeserver.com/ to get International time zones).

15. Verify that the time servers are being accessed by typing "ntpq -p" at the command prompt. You should see the time servers being contacted as output.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: