View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kwyjibo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:52 pm    Post subject: Emigration to latin america Reply with quote

I'm thinking of leaving the country...

to my person: male, almost 30 years, bachelor degree in electrical engineering, working 5 yrs now as a software engineer (Java, C, C++, C#, MSSQL on Win and Linux), speaking german and english (some words of french, italian and spanish).

what are the chances to get a job in south america (thinking of Chile, Argentina, Uruguay etc maybe Brazil)?

i really want to learn the language of the country. would it be possible to apply for a job from europe and then go there only communicating in english (taking spanish lessons after work)?

another possibility would be just to travel through south america, learning the language and then applying for a job.

did anyone of you guys here do anything similar?

i tend to just sell all my belongings and go there but i kinda fear the reactions of the people around me...
erg0t
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Im from Uruguay, but I think im going to Argentina next year beacuse I think is a better place to work with computers. Argentina and Brasil are the best in that matter, but in Brasil you have to learn portuguese.
About Chile I haven't idea.

Quote:
i tend to just sell all my belongings and go there but i kinda fear the reactions of the people around me...

Unless you are from USA I don't think you will have any problems, and if you are I don't believe either that it is much problem.
krusty_ar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you been up to date on the economic developement of the region? what is it that you expect from moving here?
Das Damen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why the hell would you willingly move to South America?
kwyjibo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, I'm swiss btw ;)

my motivation to go to south america is to meet new people, living and working in a totally different way of life and in a different climate.

i hear that economics of chile and brazil are on the rise... but i don't do go for the money anyway!
santiagozky
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am from Mexico (not south america, but latin america anyway) the way I see thinks i think I will end working in a foreign company (from europe or US probably) latin america is a tech consumer, not developer, It think it would be a good idea to find a company in your country willing to send you there for a couple of years.
atrus123
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwyjibo wrote:
yeah, I'm swiss btw ;)

my motivation to go to south america is to meet new people, living and working in a totally different way of life and in a different climate.

i hear that economics of chile and brazil are on the rise... but i don't do go for the money anyway!

I'm sure that South America is very nice, but it seems to me you'd have an easier time getting a technology job if you moved to Asia: S. Korea, Japan, India, or certain parts of China.

Better learn Turbo Linux.

J.
Reikinio
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Emigration to latin america Reply with quote

kwyjibo wrote:

what are the chances to get a job in south america (thinking of Chile, Argentina, Uruguay etc maybe Brazil)?

It depends on many factors, but the chances are lower than there.

kwyjibo wrote:

i really want to learn the language of the country. would it be possible to apply for a job from europe and then go there only communicating in english (taking spanish lessons after work)?

In the IT field, you should be okay(me thinks), but be aware that %70 of the people here or more, don't speak english.

kwyjibo wrote:

Don't worry about it, people are friendly over here.
Oh..., and chicks dig foreigners ;)

Uruguay is generally consider safer than Brazil, Argentina, etc...
In the summer, it becomes a touristic destintation.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Emigration to latin america Reply with quote

Reikinio wrote:
PE, Uruguay
Mind if I ask what the PE is?

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
atrus123
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Emigration to latin america Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Reikinio wrote:
PE, Uruguay

Peru maybe?

J.
Reikinio
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Emigration to latin america Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Reikinio wrote:
PE, Uruguay

Not at all, PE == Punta del Este

It sures looks nice in photos, in summer it's great, the rest of the year it sucks.
:)
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Emigration to latin america Reply with quote

atrus123 wrote:
Peru maybe?
Since they're both countries on opposite sides of a continent, that'd be difficult. Damned Americans. Don't they teach Geography any more? :P

Reikinio wrote:
PE == Punta del Este
Thanks. Was mainly just a curiosity, though I am keeping my eye open for potential beach vacations (preferably places not many go to yet).

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Reikinio
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Emigration to latin america Reply with quote

pjp wrote:

Reikinio wrote:
PE == Punta del Este
Thanks. Was mainly just a curiosity, though I am keeping my eye open for potential beach vacations (preferably places not many go to yet).

:) If you happen to visit Uruguay and want virgin beaches perhaps you would like to visit
Cabo Polonio.

And here is the government official touristic website(Uses flash, when will they learn...).

Well, time to sleep,

Regards,
dangerbird
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Emigration to latin america Reply with quote

kwyjibo wrote:
I'm thinking of leaving the country...

to my person: male, almost 30 years, bachelor degree in electrical engineering, working 5 yrs now as a software engineer (Java, C, C++, C#, MSSQL on Win and Linux), speaking german and english (some words of french, italian and spanish).

another possibility would be just to travel through south america, learning the language and then applying for a job.

did anyone of you guys here do anything similar?

Yes, i am leaving the country as well, due to the fact that the HAARP is going to cause WW3, i dont want to be nuked.
stormcrowley
Apprentice
Apprentice

Location: Sacramento, California, United States, North America, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Emigration to latin america Reply with quote

dangerbird wrote:
Yes, i am leaving the country as well, due to the fact that the HAARP is going to cause WW3, i dont want to be nuked.

You're perfectly right, of course. A nuclear detonation within one country will only affect that one country, after all.
feliperal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived over a year in Santiago, Chile. From 1999-2000. Chile is a nice place, alot of cools places to go. Santiago is an okay place to go, but can get very congested and polluted at times, due to Santiago being close to the Andes. The only thing bad about Chile are the chicks aren't that hot. I prefer bitchier chicks from Argentina.

Peru is okay too, but I wouldn't spend too much time in Lima. If you have a chance try going down to Arequipa. It's a really nice place. Peruvian woman are okay, and it's really easy to get laid down there in Peru.

Job wise, I'd say try Santiago. Argentina's economy is still in the shitter, and I would not work for any company that will pay you in Argentine pesos. Lastly, stay out of Montevideo (Uruguay)...No offense to the urguayo, but there is not too much culturally to do in montevideo. The only reason to stop there is to procur your visa to get into Brazil, if you do plan by going by land.
vificunero
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest you Chile too. I've been there for some months. The economy is doing fine, they're trying to ge out from the copper dependance and there're a lot of foreign corporations investments (so maybe you could find a job with one of these companies and ask for Chile). Of course Santiago is a huge town. Forget the small, medium, perfect :D swiss towns. There're good neighborhoods and bad ones but the town generally has a better condition than the usual latin america metropolis. The weather is not so harsh during winter (I've been there during those months). Maybe you could find a job too in the copper desert north region or just visit it.
perseguidor
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm from Buenos Aires, Argentina. IT jobs here are on the surge right now.

Buenos Aires is a nice city, in my humble opinion; socially and culturally active, though the crisis that affected (and still affects) my country has had its toll.

The real downer about working here would be being payed in argentinian pesos, as I think a fellow chilean pointed out. 3 argentinian pesos = u$s 1, and most IT jobs pay between 1300 and 2500 pesos, I'd say. So there you have it.

If this isn't relevant or isn't that bad for you, and you do end up coming here, I don't think you'll regret it. In that case, I'll buy you a bottle of argentinian wine, probably malbec.
erg0t
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Emigration to latin america Reply with quote

Reikinio wrote:
pjp wrote:
Reikinio wrote:
PE, Uruguay

Not at all, PE == Punta del Este

It sures looks nice in photos, in summer it's great, the rest of the year it sucks.
:)

Vivimos en el mismo lugar jajaja
kwyjibo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perseguidor wrote:
I'm from Buenos Aires, Argentina. IT jobs here are on the surge right now.

Buenos Aires is a nice city, in my humble opinion; socially and culturally active, though the crisis that affected (and still affects) my country has had its toll.

The real downer about working here would be being payed in argentinian pesos, as I think a fellow chilean pointed out. 3 argentinian pesos = u$s 1, and most IT jobs pay between 1300 and 2500 pesos, I'd say. So there you have it.

If this isn't relevant or isn't that bad for you, and you do end up coming here, I don't think you'll regret it. In that case, I'll buy you a bottle of argentinian wine, probably malbec.

woohoo, I'm comming :D /me loves wine

yeah, if salary was the most important thing i'd never leave switzerland ;)

thank you guys for answering. i have to think about it...
Das Damen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perseguidor wrote:

A year!? What's the cost of living (ie. food, apartments, houses, entertainment)?
dresb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Das Damen wrote:
perseguidor wrote:

A year!? What's the cost of living (ie. food, apartments, houses, entertainment)?

A month.
A family of 4 can live with about 2300 pesos a month.
erg0t
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Das Damen wrote:
perseguidor wrote:

It depends of the quality of life you want
Das Damen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

erg0t wrote:
Das Damen wrote:
perseguidor wrote:

Throw me some average prices. I'm curious.
erg0t
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Das Damen wrote:
erg0t wrote:
Das Damen wrote:
perseguidor wrote:

Throw me some average prices. I'm curious.

A flat furnished in a nice zone is about $600 monthly
And food for a day is arround $20 (well it depends what you eat and how much you eat)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: