question about emerge and /etc/make.conf
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chickpea
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 12:33 am    Post subject: question about emerge and /etc/make.conf Reply with quote

I have an irritating problem (well annoyance is more like it) when I merge a package. At the end of every single build i get a message that says

Important: 1 /etc file needs to be updated. when I follow the instructions on how to figure out which one it is I get an output that is /etc/._cfg000make.conf (or something like that) when viewing the file I can see that is the /etc/make.conf file without my USE settings.

Is this supposed to happen? What is recommend to be done about this if anything? Inquiring minds want to know.

C
leej
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's actually doing you a favour by not overwriting your global configuration files.

From the Portage Manual:

Quote:

Configuration File Protection

Portage allows for the protection of all configuration files in specified directories. Portage will not overwrite files in protected directories. If a package tries to install a file that already exists, it will be renamed to something like ._cfg0000_name. This is done so that users can later look at the new file and manually merge the differences between the two themselves.

Study the manual further here: http://gentoo.org/doc/portage-manual.html

There's also a Portage User Guide in the Documentation section of the website.

HTH
chadh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did the right thing. You followed the instructions, found the file, compared it to the original, and found that they were the same, except for changes that you made (eventually, portage will be able to detect this exact case, but not yet). Since you have determined that the new config file is no better than your current, feel free to delete the ._cfg* file. You need to go through this process for every file that is reported by emerge. To ease the process, emerge gentoolkit and check out etc-update.
Chickpea
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Chad! I will emerge the gentoolkit. I did read the Portage Manual and i understood everything except for the regeneration of the files. I got it now! Whew!

C
leej
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to apologise if I came across all "RTFM"! Because it wasn't my intention. :-)

Glad you got it sussed anyway. :-)

Best regards
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: