portage --new feature
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fastMoon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: portage --new feature Reply with quote

Hi,
I'd like to propose a new feature for portage.
I find myself regulary doeing:
emerge -uavDN world
while package break and emerge interrupted
emerge --resume --skipfirst
repeat

It would be great if this could be achieved with a single feature of portage for instance:
emerge --uavDN --skipALLabortedPACKAGES world

what do you think?
would this be an worthwhile feature?

thnks Victor
Earthwings
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Requested before, but not accepted since --skipfirst is potentially dangerous (when dependencies are not built). You can have the same behaviour with a simple script/function/alias though.
Strowi
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
i myself never used --skipfirst, because it might miss important dependencies etc.. and afterwards i would wonder why the hell nothing works anymore...

I like doing it manually to keep track of errors..
(imagine doing this on a webserver, and php skipping... )

but others might differ...
fastMoon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: response Reply with quote

--skipfirst is potentially dangerous (when dependencies are not built)
mmm....is this so...? didn't know that.
But from my 600+ packages there's usually about 10 that fail to compile. Usually this means that an older versions of this package still exists. If a dependend package really needs the bleeding edge version then it should be programmed into the ebuild, not ? And then this bleeding edge dependant package will/should also fail and be skipped.
Anyway, in real life: I've been doing this manually for 2 years ( almost all ~amd64 packages) and I've never been even close to "afterwards wondering why the hell nothing works anymore... ".
If one's that afraid of a litlle risc, I's advise against using ~ and stich with stable packages. In my opinion stable packages should always be able to compile. And in case a system is totally screwed up...well then that's interesting, I'd have to use my brains again to get it working :D :D .... Till then I'd like to automate some repetitive, relative dumb tasks.

"I like doing it manually to keep track of errors.. "

I agree.... that's why my idea for this feature didn't make it on this place since I started using the new e-log feature of portage. It's really great, I get all messages in per-package-log files. works great. I already picked up some messages I missed before. So with the use of this e-log feature there is no need....no that's too drastic....It's becomes conceivable to make it possible to choose a more un-attendended and automated emerge process.
chris.c.hogan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice if it could skip, log, and continue when a problem is found in a package from the world file. If the problem is in a dependency, it should skip both the dependency and any packages calling the dependency. I suppose mileage will vary. I seldom use emerge -uavDN world, instead I generally use emerge -u world with an emerge -upv world before hand to verify use flags and package versions. About the only time I require --resume --skipfirst is when I'm emerging multimedia packages that don't like pie. xdtv and avidemux come to mind. I end up switching to i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.6-hardenednopie after everything else has emerged so that they will compile.
Strowi
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: response Reply with quote

fastMoon wrote:
--skipfirst is potentially dangerous (when dependencies are not built)
But from my 600+ packages there's usually about 10 that fail to compile. Usually this means that an older versions of this package still exists. If a dependend package really needs the bleeding edge version then it should be programmed into the ebuild, not ? And then this bleeding edge dependant package will/should also fail and be skipped.

Maybe i did get you wrong on that, but isn't this what portage is doing and what the dependencies are for? If the dependency fails to compile it stops emerging...

What 'MIGHT' be useful is the following:

Code:

emerge apache samba kde nano

# now apache fails but it will continue with nano kde samba IF they have no apache USE-Flag

but i might overlook something...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: