Emerge sync downloads 1808 files!?!?!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roguelazer
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 12:07 am    Post subject: Emerge sync downloads 1808 files!?!?! Reply with quote

I just emerge synced 2 hours ago. Everything went fine, I updated world and all. Now, just for fun, I emerged sync again. Unlike the previous 154 files downloaded, it downloaded 1808 files. Further testing reveals downloading between 1300 and 2000 files per emerge sync, with emerge -pu world reporting no packages to be updated. Why is it eating up my bandwidth like this?

--Sorry if this is a double post, but I think it isn't...--
petu
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Emerge sync downloads 1808 files!?!?! Reply with quote

Roguelazer wrote:
Further testing reveals downloading between 1300 and 2000 files per emerge sync, with emerge -pu world reporting no packages to be updated. Why is it eating up my bandwidth like this?

You are probably using the stable version of gentoo and emerge world -up won't therefore show you the development packages that are masked. For example if there's a new version of program foo and someone makes a new ebuild for it. At first program foo is masked so portage won't upgrade to that version if you are using stable version of gentoo. Command emerge sync still syncs all of the portage files no matter if you are using stable or development version of gentoo. Emerge sync also downloads many ebuilds you have never installed.
Sven Vermeulen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You only use bandwidth when you issue "emerge sync", so if you want to use less bandwidth, don't issue "emerge sync" that often.

For stable systems, issuing "emerge sync" once a week is more than adequate.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: