Limiting packages emerged from output of "emerge search
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carlos123
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 3:20 am    Post subject: Limiting packages emerged from output of "emerge search Reply with quote

I have noticed that an "emerge search <package_name>" will sometimes return multiple packages.

For example the output from "emerge search aspell" shows me lots of packages that are available for aspell.

If I do an "emerge aspell" I am concered that packages such as the Catalan and Greek dictionaries (to name just two of many others) will get installed to my system when I don't need them.

Is there a way to limit the packages that get installed when an "emerge search <package_name>" returns so many? Will they all be installed if I do an "emerge <package_name>"?

Conversely is there a way to fine tune the unmerge process such that I can unmerge a specific dictionary installed with aspell (for example)?

Thanks.

Carlos
rbonthond
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Limiting packages emerged from output of "emerge se Reply with quote

carlos123 wrote:
If I do an "emerge aspell" I am concered that packages such as the Catalan and Greek dictionaries (to name just two of many others) will get installed to my system when I don't need them.

emerge aspell will only install aspell, you have to install the dictionaries yourself, e.g:
Code:

emerge aspell
emerge aspell-nl

carlos123 wrote:
Will they all be installed if I do an "emerge <package_name>"?

no

carlos123 wrote:
Conversely is there a way to fine tune the unmerge process such that I can unmerge a specific dictionary installed with aspell (for example)?

emerge will only emerge what you tell it to unmerge, emerge unmerge aspell-nl will only uninstall the dutch dictionary, not the others.

That also means that if you unmerge aspell, it will not unmerge the dictionaries ! try emerge --clean -p to see what are left-overs.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Limiting packages emerged from output of "emerge se Reply with quote

carlos123 wrote:
Is there a way to limit the packages that get installed when an "emerge search <package_name>" returns so many?
Unlike other uses of "emerge", such as installing software, search uses regular expressions. If you wish to limit search to exactly matching, use something like:
Code:
$ emerge -s ^aspell$

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: