View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fret
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 1:49 pm    Post subject: Gentoo Latency Reply with quote

I'm new to Gentoo, and the install went smoothly enough. But now I've got a working system I'm finding that the performance is rock bottom.

For instance when I'm compiling something, running X, KDE3, and so on I get periods of between 1 and 12 seconds where the machine locks up, no mouse movement, no screen update, sound skips etc. Rather nasty for a so called 'pre-emptive operating system'. I previously had Mandrake installed (yeah I know, I know) and it didn't suffer from this sort of lockups (as much, sound would never skip).

So what can I do to smooth things out a bit. 12 seconds of no action is unbearable... it completely stops my work flow.

FYI
- Althon 1.4 running at 1.2 on 100 fsb
- 256mb ram
- Gentoo stage3 install, i686 kernel, Kde3, Alsa/SbLive

Help!
T2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may try compiling vanilla kernel sources or compiling all stuff from stage1, Which motherboard, video card do you have?
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also try to use the mandrake kernel (or at least same configuration and relevant patches).
TGL
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought... do you have some kind of power management (APM or ACPI) enable ? If yes, maybe you should try to turn it off. (In fact, I'm wondering if some hardware wake-up can freeze your computer during a few seconds. But I'm really not sure of that.)
Zu`
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DMA enabled on your harddisk(s)?

And compiling from stage1 might be better, also follow optimalisations for building KDE, you can find them on the forum here somewhere.
Safrax
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you didn't enable the low latency and pre-emptive kernel options when configuring your kernel. Or at least thats what it seems like your problem is to me.
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest trying vanilla sources.

Running without dma won't give you 12 second periods of no response, neither will not having preeempt/low latency.

There seems to be quite a few people complaining about this sort of thing in Gentoo.
fret
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanilla kernel: Sure I'll give it a try. Anyone know what I'll lose in doing so? I.e. why use a gentoo kernel in the 1st place?
PS I've compiled the kernel several times now, just to get the right combination of modules and features. So for a windows luser I'm getting the hang of this Linux thing ;)

Video card: G400
Motherboard... um I forget, I'll find out. (I didn't actually buy it, I got given it).

DMA: Well the speel of text that I see on startup mentions that all the HD's are using DMA but a) I didn't read it carefully as it scrolls past @ speed and b) it's probably not authoritative. So anyone know how to find all the boot up status text after you've booted? And what is the definitive way to check whether your accessing HD's using DMA? I selected all the "DMA" type stuff in the kernel config so I'm hoping it's working. Originally I had 128mb ram and I thought the machine was swapping a lot (which usually borks performance up royally) but I grabbed another stick of 128 out of my 2nd machine and dumpped it in there, dropped the FSB down to 100mhz (stupid PC133 won't actually RUN at 133). And everything seems stable but the freezing is still there or worse. I've yet to test the transfer speed of the HD, which is probably the best way to tell if DMA is on or not. PS I don't actually know how to test the throughput of HD's under Linux short of writing a program myself to do it. Hmmm.

Low-latency/Pre-emptive patches: Well I'd like to think that a stock kernel should have reasonable performance before I go tweaking the heck out of it. I would like to try these patches some time, but I want to know that I'm building on a solid foundation first. And I don't have that yet.

Anyway all good responses. I'll keep reading and posting here. Thanks
fret
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guys in this forum are discussing the same problem:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=3767

Sorry, shouda searched before I posted. Seems it's only related to AMD based systems running KDE. Now I'm sticking with KDE and my AMD processor, it remains to be seen exactly whats foobaring up the performance.
fret
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this:

http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0110.2/0399.html

It might be a possible solution to my problems. He seemed to have had very similar issues.

I now have to track down that patch and find out whether I already have it or I need to get it etc etc.
c_kuzmanic
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Gentoo Latency Reply with quote

fret wrote:

FYI
- Althon 1.4 running at 1.2 on 100 fsb <--- ???????????
- 256mb ram
- Gentoo stage3 install, i686 kernel, Kde3, Alsa/SbLive

Help!

Hi,

Could you explain why your Athlon 1.4 (What's that an Athlon XP 1700, running at 14663 MHZ?) is running at 1.2 GHZ ? I'm going to assume you mean GHZ with the numbers above.

Are you using jumbled hardware such as using a newer type athlon on an older motherboard with a slower fsb speed?

I would really help if you could give us some hardware specs and explain that line above:)

Just as an afterthought: Did you try using the system without dropping the fsb speed down. An athlon xp will not support that fsb speed, keep that in mind.

fret wrote:

Originally I had 128mb ram and I thought the machine was swapping a lot (which usually borks performance up royally) but I grabbed another stick of 128 out of my 2nd machine and dumpped it in there, dropped the FSB down to 100mhz (stupid PC133 won't actually RUN at 133)

fret
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 sticks of RAM, one 128mb PC150 stick and another 128mb PC133. When I run both sticks at 1.4 ghz / 133 FSB the machine isn't stable. So I docked the speed in the BIOS to 1.2ghz / 100 FSB and it works like a charm. Windows is rock solid (no choppy performance) and so is gentoo (with choppy pre-emptive performance).

Personally I'm always worried that running the one stick of 128mb PC150 at 1.4ghz is going to be swapping some of the time, so I went for the 2 sticks at a lower speed.

The one stick of PC150 behaves pretty much the same under Gentoo at full speed. So I doubt that is effecting things.
fret
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my motherboard is an Abit KT7A RAID. I'm not using the RAID so thats not an issue.

Also I think maybe I should try the hogstop + eatcache patches:
http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0110.2/0399.html

But I've run out of time till friday.
c_kuzmanic
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have that motherboard in one of my machines. Never had a prob. Did you try running that machine without that stick (PC 150)? That motherboard does not offcially support that stick if my memory serves me right, but it should be downward compatible, is it?. And again is that an athlon xp you're running on that abit kt7a raid board? To my knowledge that board does not support ahtlon xp's either. This is from the abit site:

CPU
Supports AMD Athlon/Duron 600MHz-1.2GHz 200/266MHz FSB Socket A Processors <----NOT athlon xp's only the late generation T-Bird athlons with 266fsb are supported (my edit)--->

But maybe you have a late generation T-Bird with 1.4 GHZ and 266 fsb? It would be great if you could shed light on the issue.
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Did you try running that machine without that stick (PC 150)? That motherboard does not offcially support that stick if my memory serves me right, but it should be downward compatible, is it?

All sdram is backwards compatible, the PC rating is just a speed rating of what that particular stick should be capable of.

If your stick of pc133 won't run stable at 133 why not return it? You could also try swapping it with a stick from another system since sometimes a stick will run fine in one computer but not another even though it's running at the same speed.

If an Athlon is running at 1.4Ghz with a 133mhz fsb and you drop it to 100mhz then the Athlon will run at 1.05Ghz (100/133*1.4=1.05)
Anyways, I doubt these problems are caused by hardware.
friedmud
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This problem is almost always related to not having DMA (or UDMA) access turned on for your drive. Make sure you compiled in DMA into your kernel and make sure you selected your right controller chip in your kernel configuration.

I repeat! Anyone having this problem - this is ALMOST ALWAYS RELATED TO INCORRECT DMA SETTINGS!

Try using hdparm if you are sure your kernel is configured correctly - you can manually set DMA settings with hdparm.

Derek
FINITE
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hdparm can be used to turn on dma and 32bit access etc. but you would be better off to compile support for your chipset into the kernel proper. Unless your chipset is not TRUELY supported.
fret
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malakin:
My bios can use different multipliers so to get 1.2ghz I set it to 100mhz FSB * 12 = 1.2ghz.

With one or 2 sticks of ram the results are the same, so thats ruled out.

I'll check the whole DMA thing and post results tomorrow.

As for the CPU, it doesn't have 'Xp' on it, I think it's the last of the normal Althons. Also I flashed the bios with the lastest from Abit so while initial support probably didn't know about the CPU I've upgraded it so that it shouldn't be a problem.
jtanner
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the problem is probably not having dma turned on for your hd.

Code:

/sbin/hdparm -v /dev/hda        # display settings
/sbin/hdparm -d /dev/hda        # toggle dma

I believe you have to have dma turned on in the kernel IN ADDITION to using hdparm. man hdparm to see what the rest of the switches do.

Another problem is that kde 3.0.0 had a nasty memory leak that would quickly consume ram. What kind of memory usage does top report? If you're out of ram and constantly swapping, that can greatly degrade performance.

Jim
Dibrom
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fret wrote:
The guys in this forum are discussing the same problem:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=3767

Sorry, shouda searched before I posted. Seems it's only related to AMD based systems running KDE. Now I'm sticking with KDE and my AMD processor, it remains to be seen exactly whats foobaring up the performance.

I'm running Gentoo 1.2 on my Inspiron 8100 p3 with E and the gnome2 panel running, and I'm having the exact same problems. Same thing with KDE. So it isn't necessarily related to any of those things in particular. I haven't tried the vanilla sources yet though or compiling without preemption or low latency.

As for the hard drive, I'm running on an ide drive through a firewire enclosure and speed seems to be ok (bout 24MB/s.. not spectacular, but good enough). I'm not sure if the sbp2 driver sets dma through the scsi emulation stuff or not. I mostly get the choppiness when compiling, though it doesn't happen all the time. Xmms, which is always running in the background, never skips a beat.

I'm also running with a usb mouse and keyboard... I'm wondering if maybe that has something to do with it.

At any rate, if it's simply a DMA issue, does anyone know how to turn this stuff on when using scsi emulation? hdparm won't let me set the flags to a scsi device.
c_kuzmanic
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could do something to replicate any of these probs, but my hardware runs fine. I run a custom kernel with only the preemptive kernel patch applied, since the combination of both low latency and pre-emptive gave me problems with stabilty.
tkdack
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to throw another one into the mix....

Do any of you guys having problems have fam enabled/started?

fam is used by KDE (and Gnome I think) to monitor files and directories. It is a deamon that KDE uses instead of utilising a large number of performance expensive system calls to monitor files.

Try running:
Code:
/etc/init.d/fam start

And then restart KDE and see if you get any noticable changes in your performance.

More info http://oss.sgi.com/projects/fam/

Former Gentoo contributor TaD
fret
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argggghhh:

/dev/hda:
Timing buffered disk reads: 64 MB in 41.34 seconds = 1.55 MB/sec
/dev/hdb:
Timing buffered disk reads: 64 MB in 68.49 seconds =956.87 kB/sec
Sivar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

friedmud wrote:
This problem is almost always related to not having DMA (or UDMA) access turned on for your drive. Make sure you compiled in DMA into your kernel and make sure you selected your right controller chip in your kernel configuration.

I repeat! Anyone having this problem - this is ALMOST ALWAYS RELATED TO INCORRECT DMA SETTINGS!

Try using hdparm if you are sure your kernel is configured correctly - you can manually set DMA settings with hdparm.

Derek

I've seen this problem on my system recently when doing many things at once and hdparm/DMA settings don't even apply. (My Linux system has no IDE/ATAPI devices)
Additionally, some other distros I've used do not have this problem on any system regardless of hard drives or drive settings. When the pauses occur, the drive is typically just as paused as the rest of the system, at least for me, so I doubt that the hard drive has much to do with this particular problem.
Oddly, I wasn't having this issue a while ago, pr maybe I just started running more at once. <shrug>
Dibrom
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tkdack wrote:
Just to throw another one into the mix....

Do any of you guys having problems have fam enabled/started?

I've been using fam ever since I installed gnome2, but it doesn't seem to have any effect on this at all unfortunately.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: