View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OverrideX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:42 am    Post subject: LVM Reply with quote

Ok, I'm using an oldish (3.1) version of knoppix, so I'm not sure if this still applies but just in case it helps anyone trying to use LVM...

the lvutilies like vgscan were giving errors about creating stuff in /etc/lvmtab.d and other files, it was causing logical volumes to be created with the same minor number in /dev/vg/<name> which made them the same volume essentially.... to fix this i had to mount my root partition first, then make a etctemp directory and run:

cp -r /etc/* /mnt/gentoo/etctemp/.
mount --bind /etc /mnt/gentoo/etctemp

then run vgscan and create my volume group and logical volumes, hope this helps someone -Dan
kermitjunior
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 10:57 pm    Post subject: grp woes Reply with quote

I have a Toshiba Satellite A15-S157 laptop. The built in wireless works great with Knoppix, but not the Gentoo Live CD.

So I'm thinkig of doing a knoppix to gentoo install. However, I don't have network which means I need to use GRP CDs. But I can't eject the cd. any ideas? One issue with knoppix is it installs LILO, which I don't want.

Also, since Knoppix detects the card, will gentoo upon reboot?

thanks!
KJ
IBM 120GB (Linux), WD 30GB (WinDoze), ATI All-In-Wonder 128 Pro PCI
Camulus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. By the way seems that a Gentoo install from knoppix CD could be a good idea, but imagine a Gentoo hda install from other Gentoo in hdd. It can be possible? (from kde, of course, compiling new system while look my mail or read gentoo forums with mozilla,...). If it's possible (what about the problem of duplicating root?) wahat is the way to go?
Thanks
iplayfast
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You folks might want to try out http://www.jollix.de/de/de_home.html which is supposed to be exactly what we are talking about.
abunai
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Toshiba Satellite 5105 S701 which has built in wifi. I have been having trouble getting built in wlan to work with the gentoo live cd. The wlan works fine with Knoppix. I attempted to installed gentoo via knoppix. Knoppix has great hardware detection. I have got it installed and the boot loader configured. I crashes on boot and drops me into the built in shell (ash). I cant see where it breaks cause it prints out too fast. What I am left with on the screen is:

Quote:

attempt to access beyond end of device
01:00: rw=0, want=4162, limit=4096
01:00: rw=0, want=4163, limit=4096
01:00: rw=0, want=4160, limit=4096
01:00: rw=0, want=4161, limit=4096
01:00: rw=0, want=4160, limit=4096
01:00: rw=0, want=4161, limit=4096

BusyBox v1.00-pre7 (2004.05.23-12:56+0000) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
01:00: rw=0, want=4171, limit=4096
01:00: rw=0, want=4171, limit=4096

Somethine to note. I used genkernel when it was time to configure my kernel. I was hopping that it would use the hardware detected via knoppix when configuring the kernel. I wonder if this is the cause of problems.

I removed the genkernel stuff (initrd, real_root, etc) from my grub.conf and I can boot into the system, just many errors occur, I guess when it is attempting to load the various kernel modules.

So I guess my question is, would the out come be any diffrent if I did not use the genkernel?
jj11888
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/altinstall.xml

i dont no weither to find it disgracefull or humurous that none of ya RTFM :P

anyways, knoppix-like discs that are gentoo-based can be made via catalyst, just `emerge catatalyst` and have fun
Radon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Knoppix cluster is running without HDD's.

How is is possible to turn on DMA for CD-ROM? I tried 'linux26 dma' but it didn't turn DMA on. Also since I don't have HDD's I couldn't do what you guys suggested on the previous page: "hdparm -X66 /cdrom" (CD-ROM's used to run at ATA66 in WinXP).

I've got 2* XP 2500+ @11*220MHz with 8RDA3G nForce2 MB's. Folding 24/7 :D
Japheth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 3:47 pm    Post subject: a solution please? Reply with quote

so... did anyone reply to Abunai with a solution?
'cause I'm getting the same errors, and I also installed using genkernell... :S

a fix anyone?

:)
codergeek42
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knoppix is nice t o install from, as it detects my wireless card quite well, and plus I can browse the ever-helpful forums with the Moz and play frozen-bubble while stuff compiles. :p
Lemming73
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abunai wrote:

Looks like your ram-disk is too small.
2 Solutions:
- set the size of your ram-disk to 8MB ( menuconfig )
- cut your kernel down to 4 MB
rkv
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: u cant use 64bit system Reply with quote

when usin knoppix on mad64 i get the error when doin chroo /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
exec format error
so i guess the kernel is not completely compatuble with 64 bit?
DrWoland
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can one get cups and stuff to work while doing this? If I could print stuff while installing gentoo, my productivity would be uninterrupted and I'd never have to boot into Windoze 8O
davecs
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep a spare partition so at any time I have Win98SE plus TWO Linux installs. My current Gentoo build was chrooted from another Gentoo build that I was not too happy with! That previous Gentoo build was built chrooted from a Mandrake install.

I read on the forum at PCLinuxOS that Texstar, the guy behind PCLOS, also has Gentoo on his drive, he built it chrooted in from PCLOS.

If I get a new computer, I will always get a fast-install distro (provided it includes compilers and stuff) and build Gentoo in a chrooted environment. That way I get to use my computer in the meantime, full functionality, etc.

Having two builds also means you can "steal" fonts, wallpapers, etc from one distro to another. I still have the Mandrake 9.0 wallpaper, the only official Mandrake Wallpaper I ever liked. I now have a Wallpaper stolen from PCLOS as my Gentoo wallpaper!

What fun!
Ntlworld cable internet via ethernet
and PC-Chips Desknote Laptop (with PCLOS-pre-81a )
Tipycol
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my first time trying to install using Knoppix, but it doesn't seem to like any emerging I do. It chroots fine, but I always get an error emerging

Code:
Knoppix / # emerge gentoo-sources

downloads and checks md5 fine, then I see

Code:
ACCESS DENIED  open_wr:   /UNIONFS/dev/pts/1
ACCESS DENIED  open_wr:   /UNIONFS/dev/pts/1
>>> Unpacking source...
>>> Unpacking linux-2.6.11.tar.bz2 to /var/tmp/portage/gentoo-sources-2.6.11-r6/work
 * genpatches-2.6-11.09-base.tar.bz2 unpacked
 * genpatches-2.6-11.09-extras.tar.bz2 unpacked
 * Applying 1000_linux-2.6.11.1.patch (-p0+)...                                                                                     [ ok ]

continues to apply patches then

Code:
>>> Source unpacked.
--------------------------- ACCESS VIOLATION SUMMARY ---------------------------
LOG FILE = "/tmp/sandbox-sys-kernel_-_gentoo-sources-2.6.11-r6-6863.log"

open_wr:   /UNIONFS/dev/pts/1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Knoppix / #         

Just to see, I tried emerging grub, and it's the same, downloads and checks md5 fine, then I see

Code:
"ACCESS DENIED  open_wr:   /UNIONFS/dev/pts/1"

multiple times, it applies any patches then

Code:
--------------------------- ACCESS VIOLATION SUMMARY ---------------------------
LOG FILE = "/tmp/sandbox-sys-boot_-_grub-0.96-r1-5808.log"

with open_wr: /UNIONFS/dev/pts/1 repeating multiple times again.
This is with v3.8.1, should I download an earlier version to install gentoo with? If so which version?

Thanks
Tipycol
Naveg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TipyCol,

I am having the exact same error. Did you manage to find a solution. Or does anyone one else know of one for that matter?
tseliot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: u cant use 64bit system Reply with quote

rkv wrote:
when usin knoppix on mad64 i get the error when doin chroo /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
exec format error

I have the same problem. Any ideas?
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: u cant use 64bit system Reply with quote

tseliot wrote:
rkv wrote:
exec format error

I have the same problem. Any ideas?

You cannot do a install of Gentoo using the amd64 stage files from knoppix, as the knoppix CD boots a 32-bit kernel but the programs in the stage files are 64-bit only. Hence the "exec format error".

You might be able to install from knoppix if you are willing to do a fully 32-bit install. That means, DO NOT use the amd64 stage files, but download either
  • the x86 stage 1 file if you want to do stage 1 install or
  • the athlon-xp stage files if you want to do a stage 2 or stage 3 install.

That means, however, that you have to use the CFLAGS, ACCEPT_KEYWORDS and other portage settings suitable for an athlon-xp, not the ones for amd64.
Drone4four
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: Installing Gentoo from Knoppix Reply with quote

LumiNousiT wrote:
Hi, I've been a lurker for quite a while, yet only post occasionaly. I thought I might toss out my experience from installing from Knoppix. I found to be better for me as I was still able to use my computer during the long time that it takes for the bootstrap and base system compile.

1.) Boot from the Knoppix CD. It generally does a really good job of hardware detection. (Be warned you may have to add some boot options. I ended up passing "knoppix wheelmouse xvrefresh=75 screen=1600"

2.) By default Knoppix boots into a KDE 3.0 desktop. The first thing I did was open a konsole and typed "sudo passwd root". This lets you set the root password for Knoppix.

3.) Next, I su to root and typed "usermod -d /root -m root". This sets user roots home directory to /root (the Gentoo way) from /home/root (the Knoppix way). If you do not do this, then you will receive errors when emerging about "/home/root: not found" or something to that effect.

4.) I then typed "exit" and then su back into root. This loads the change that was made with the usermod command. At this point, you can pick up with the standard install documentation at step 6.

I hope someone else is able to make use out of this. It makes the install much less "painful" as the computer is fully useable. Thank you and good night. :D

I think I lost what you were trying to say at the end of point 3). Here are your commands inputted on my knoppix based elivecd:
Code:

root@elive[/home/elive]$ usermod -d /root -m root
root@elive[/home/elive]$ mount /dev/hda3 /mnt/gentoo
mount: mount point /mnt/gentoo does not exist
root@elive[/home/elive]$ mount -t proc none /mnt/gentoo/proc
mount: mount point /mnt/gentoo/proc does not exist

Drone4four
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: u cant use 64bit system Reply with quote

kimchi_sg wrote:
You cannot do a install of Gentoo using the amd64 stage files from knoppix, as the knoppix CD boots a 32-bit kernel but the programs in the stage files are 64-bit only. Hence the "exec format error".

Hmm, I'm trying to to an amd64 install also. I think I'd eventually run into the same problem even if I got passed the mount bash errors which I specified moments ago in an earlier post. Damn.

edit:sp
bdm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your little how-to seems very neat. :)

But I installed Gentoo through Knoppix not too long ago and didnt seem to do your step #3. I simply setup my wireless connection using ndiswrapper and wlcardconfig. Then proceeded to make my partitions using fdisk, then made the directory /mnt/gentoo and /mnt/gentoo/boot as mount points, and started following from downloading the stage 3 tarbal. :)
Jambonant
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this post is very old but I figure if like me you find it using some search engine, you might find the following link usefull. I haven't test it yet but will do very soon, if someone as feedback about it keep us poster.
Thanks to the original treader it was quite a usefull post.

http://users.telenet.be/gentoo/
Registered Linux User #412639
4 AMD Phenom 9550 Quand-Core, 4G ram
Eckos
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt he will return to this topic so I think imho it was pointless to bring up a dead topic :oops:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: