USE variable config
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garskoci
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: USE variable config Reply with quote

Hello!

First, I'm pretty with installing Gentoo. This is my third time. the first was on a sparc station. Which went really well. The second was yesterday and it did not go so well. I recieved an error during compilation. I was using 2005.0, so I thought that I would start from scratch with the current version and start over.

I'm trying to build a headless game server. When it's all said and done, the only packages that I'm really interested in is the base OS, bash, Perl, Python, screen and ssh. I do send messages over a a port and ssh to the box often. I'm at the point of setting up my make.conf file. It's a bit daunting to set the USE variable, but this is what I thought that it should be. Can anyone tell me if I should add anythingh else or remove any of these?

Thanks! I appreciate any assistance.
Code:

USE="acl bash-completion bcmath caps cdr ctype dedicated hal ipv6 ldap libcaca lm_sensors memlimit mhash minimal pcre perl python session sockets sse symlink sysvipc tcpd"

The descriptions.............
acl          Adds support for Access Control Lists
bash-completion         Enable bash-completion support
bcmath  Adds support for libbcmath
caps    Use Linux capabilities library to control privileges.
cdr     Adds support for CD writer hardware
ctype   Enables ctype functions
dedicated       Adds support for dedicated game servers (some packages do not provide clients and servers at the same time)
hal     Enable Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) support
ipv6    Adds support for IP version 6
ladcca  Adds Linux Audio Developer's Configuration and Connection API support (LADCCA)
lm_sensors      Adds linux lm_sensors (hardware sensors) support
memlimit        Adds memory usage limiting in supporting programs
mhash   Adds support for the mhash library
minimal         Install a very minimal build (disables, for example, plugins, fonts, most drivers, non-critical features)
pcre    Adds support for Perl Compatible Regular Expressions
perl    Adds support/bindings for the Perl language.
python  Adds support/bindings for the Python language
session         Adds persistent session support
sockets         Adds support for tcp/ip sockets
sse     fast floating point optimization for PentiumIII+ class chips
symlink         Force kernel ebuilds to automatically update the /usr/src/linux symlink.
sysvipc         Support for System V-compatible inter-process communication
tcpd    Adds support for TCP wrappers
Shan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first thoughts is that you should explicitly declare X, KDE, Gnome, QT, and GTK(2) as /negative/ values. Some programs build with them by default unless you tell them otherwise.

Additionally, if this is to be a headless unit, why are you enabling cd-writer support? The device will work fine as a CD-ROM without CDR support if that was your line of reasoning.
garskoci
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shan, thanks for yor help! I like the idea of making the GUI components negative. As for cdr, that was my thought. I will pull it.
Anything else???
Shan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garskoci wrote:
Shan, thanks for yor help! I like the idea of making the GUI components negative. As for cdr, that was my thought. I will pull it.
Anything else???

As a general rule, its my policy to leave a flag unset (that is, gentoo default) unless I know exactly what it does and what the benefits / detriments are. In this case, obviously setting -'s to gui components is a good thing, and from my understanding dedicated minimal and memlimit are things you're going to need but is adding additional support for perl python and bash going to be benificial / needed, or just take up more drive space / cpu cycles? These things especially are included by default and used when needed. I guess I'm just advocating a "not unless I need to" policy here, not telling you that you SHOULDN'T tick those flags.

At any rate, the Gentoo-wiki might have some more information that'll be helpful. In particular the following could give you some pointers:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_setup_a_home-server
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Setup_A_Battlefield_2_Dedicated_Server
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Setup_An_UT2004_Dedicated_Server
garskoci
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that's the case, is something like gps - adds support for global positioning system automatically included? I would assume that it would be, but...... Also, if mark things that I don't want, such as X or gnome, should I go through the list and flag others like; gif, opengl or openal? Sorry for all of the noob questions. I'm just trying to understand the way this part works. Thanks again.
garskoci
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, after reading the doc on USE again.

This is pretty much the default set up for USE.
Code:

(This example is the sum of the settings in base, default-linux,
 default-linux/x86 and default-linux/x86/2004.3)
USE="x86 oss apm arts avi berkdb bitmap-fonts crypt cups encode fortran f77 foomaticdb gdbm gif gpm gtk gtk2 imlib jpeg kde gnome libg++ libwww mad mikmod motif mpeg ncurses nls oggvorbis opengl pam pdflib png python qt quicktime readline sdl spell ssl svga tcpd truetype X xml2 xmms xv zlib"

If this is the case, should I take the definition above and negate those that I don't want, such as; mpeg, qt, gtk, opengl...... ?
Support for gps ia not default, so I wouldn't need to negate it. Is my understanding correct?
Shan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garskoci wrote:
OK, after reading the doc on USE again.

This is pretty much the default set up for USE.
Code:

(This example is the sum of the settings in base, default-linux,
 default-linux/x86 and default-linux/x86/2004.3)
USE="x86 oss apm arts avi berkdb bitmap-fonts crypt cups encode fortran f77 foomaticdb gdbm gif gpm gtk gtk2 imlib jpeg kde gnome libg++ libwww mad mikmod motif mpeg ncurses nls oggvorbis opengl pam pdflib png python qt quicktime readline sdl spell ssl svga tcpd truetype X xml2 xmms xv zlib"

If this is the case, should I take the definition above and negate those that I don't want, such as; mpeg, qt, gtk, opengl...... ?
Support for gps ia not default, so I wouldn't need to negate it. Is my understanding correct?

As far as I understand things then yes you're understanding is right; however, if you're not installing support for X QT, et al (Eg -X -qt -kde -gnome -gtk) then as a rule programs that would have support for jpeg and mpeg wont be installed (eg GUI based programs). There are exceptions of course (php for example) but you have to weigh the benefits with the (possible) detriments.

I cant personally forsee any major problems by manually removing support for /everything/ gui based, save that some programs might not have full functionality (EG again PHP isn't even close to GUI based but can use png et al support). At the same time however, many programs that might support these things without needing a gui probably wont show any performance gain by disabling support.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: