Is rc3 stable?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cleaker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 3:07 am    Post subject: Is rc3 stable? Reply with quote

I want to know before installing gentoo linux if I should install 1.4 rc3 or 1.2. Also is it true that gentoo is closer to freebsd than other linux distros? I think freebsd makes a great server but linux makes a better desktop os, so I'm looking into gentoo as my desktop os.
plate
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of the most common questions, and has of course been discussed before: Is 1.4 rc3 okay to use?

The 1.4 LiveCDs are a little more refined than the older boot media, but keep in mind that Gentoo release numbers in general don't mean much. Many people still use the 1.2 CD for booting, but they download and install 1.4 tarballs. I'd advise against installing from 1.2 stages, you'd be too far from the mainstream if you end up with a system compiled with gcc2.95 as opposed to the current 3.2.

As to the FreeBSD similarities: yes, absolutely. Ports is Portage's godfather. The prodigy is just a little more advanced... 8)
cleaker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I had a hunch that the release numbers didnt matter :P
red_over_blue
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the rc3, I first installed Gentoo from the rc1 disk. I am currently re-installing my system from scratch with the rc3 disk for several reasons.

1. My friend also wants to use rc3 but has never installed Gentoo, so I thought I would see if I would have any problems.

2. I want to try reiserfs instead of ext3 just for fun

3. I want to try the latest development kernel just for fun (I know I wouldn't have to re-install for this, but I figured I might as well while I was at it)

Right now, I am doing the "emerge system" and have had no difficulties up to this point. None what so-ever (knock on wood).

I'm typing this from my girlfriends ibook which I also like very much. If it wasn't for linux, I would certainly be a mac guy!!!
cleaker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macs look tempting but currently *nix handles all my needs well, that and *cough* windows for games :roll:
red_over_blue
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a playstation, or like me, a gamecube. I gave up on PC video games years ago. I don't like the idea of always having to have the fastest computer available just to be able to play the current games.

I love my GCN :D
kamikaz3
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the version of the live CD doesn't matter if you start from stage 1
every thing is done withe th newest packages from the internet.

If you like to install a stage then I advice RC3, this means there will be less updating after the install (but you can take an RC1 or .... and download the most recent stage 3 tarball)

So you can have a more recent system with a RC1 stage 1 then with a RC3 stage 3 (not updated)

Live Cd's are just for booting, you could also boot in an existing linux, and install it from there
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: