Is /boot really needed during the installation
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mksoft
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 2:18 pm    Post subject: Is /boot really needed during the installation Reply with quote

Why the documentation recommends/suggests creating /boot parition during setup :?:

I thought this issue was resolved with grub and lilo (latest versions) overcoming the 1024 cylinders issue.

I have 4 distros on my machine on seperate partitions/disks and not using /boot in any of them.

Any ideas :?:
DArtagnan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe to keep the "bzImage" and the other info. secured ? Out of other hands?

MACPRO machine...
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Is /boot really needed during the installation Reply with quote

mksoft wrote:
Why the documentation recommends/suggests creating /boot parition during setup :?:

Because it's the Smart Thing To Do. It's certainly not required, but with a dedicated boot partition, you can leave it unmounted during normal use and not worry about borking something boot-related. You can also control security a bit easier.

Linux will run fine without it and if you're happy with the way your other machines are running, then you should stick with what you're comfortable with.

--kurt
mksoft
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Is /boot really needed during the installation Reply with quote

klieber wrote:
Because it's the Smart Thing To Do. It's certainly not required, but with a dedicated boot partition, you can leave it unmounted during normal use and not worry about borking something boot-related. You can also control security a bit easier.

Linux will run fine without it and if you're happy with the way your other machines are running, then you should stick with what you're comfortable with.

--kurt

How is it more secure ? If someone has privileges to write into your /boot directory you're in trouble (protecting /boot should be the least of your worries).

He should have no problems mounting /boot and playing with it as he wishes.

As for not messing up, the way I can see it messed up is if you do
Code:
rm -rf /

and in that case a working /boot partition won't help you much :)
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Is /boot really needed during the installation Reply with quote

mksoft wrote:
How is it more secure ? If someone has privileges to write into your /boot directory you're in trouble (protecting /boot should be the least of your worries).

I didn't say it was more secure. I said it was easier to control the security since you can control it at the mount point rather than the directory level.

mksoft wrote:
As for not messing up, the way I can see it messed up is if you do
Code:
rm -rf /

and in that case a working /boot partition won't help you much :)

That's one way, but certainly not the only way. And a working boot partition will certailny help you restore from a rm -rf / fubar faster than a bare metal recovery will.

Some other benefits of a separate boot partition:
  • Not affected by a user filling up the / partition with some rogue/stupid process. (yes, you can use quotas as well)
  • A corrupted / file system doesn't affect /boot
  • different file systems, so you can use ext2 (more reliable) for /boot and still use reiser (higher performance) for /

Again, a separate boot partition is not *required*. IMO, it's simply a smart and easy thing to do. If you don't think it's worth the hassle, then don't do it. It's that simple.

--kurt
mksoft
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Is /boot really needed during the installation Reply with quote

klieber wrote:

Some other benefits of a separate boot partition:
  • Not affected by a user filling up the / partition with some rogue/stupid process. (yes, you can use quotas as well)
  • A corrupted / file system doesn't affect /boot
  • different file systems, so you can use ext2 (more reliable) for /boot and still use reiser (higher performance) for /

--kurt

As for filling up, I create a seperate partition for /home (and share it between all the distros installed).

If you have a corrupted filesystem working /boot won't help alot either. You're better off with boot/rescue disk/cd.

The original question was why the documentation suggests /boot. I think adding a comment that /boot is recommended instead of required is adequate.

But as you've said, it is a matter of preference and the beauty of Gentoo is high
level customization to your preferences so will leave it at that

I guess that this closes the thread :D
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be secury you need to mount the / read-only and have /root /home /var on other partitions. , boot into single user and mount / to update your system. etc. 8)

So no you don't have to use a seperate /boot partition, I never did, but now I found out it's very usefull to have a small ext2 partition with the bootloader, so I also use it as /boot.

But it ain't more secure or you can recover from crashes because after the kernel is loaded init needs to be loaded etc. so /bin /sbin and /lib are also needed.

Oops stated the very obvious again, lX
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: