Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
CONRAD Install Guide 0.7.5 - (__DEPRECATED__)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seren
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

last nite i was trying to emerge 2.13.1 of gnome, and for whatever reason cairo kept breaking, i know it wasnt gcc 4.0.2 because i emerged 3.4.4 and it still borked, wasnt use flags or cflags so i have no idea what it was, cairo kept saying "Error : symbol '_cairo_pixman_composie' already defined". so im trying out version 0.6.0 of lucky, and if all else fails im going to have to build a stage 1 with 3.4.4 because i cant keep reinstalling gentoo every other day =/. i was also wondering if their would be a way for the script to ask all the questions about your system before anything was excecuted, that way i wouldnt have to babysit my computer for 12 hours, kinda a pain in the butt to have the system hang at "do you want to emerge X?" its a waste of time..

Last edited by seren on Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
seren
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well great.................................................. i tried lucky 0.6.0 and got to the point where i choose to continue on to part 2 and it crashes how advanced.... im going to try again then im giving up for bob p's stage 1/3 method because i dont have time for this...
seren
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guess i got lucky.... i wish the error messages were more clear.... it just crashes and says exit code 0? anyways im at part3 of the lucky script and its doing emerge --sync
cheater1034
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cairo problem is known, maybe submit it to bugs.gentoo.org? i cant do it in the links text browser, I need a javascript browser.
-----
You don't have to have time for this...

Lucky is for testing, as far as I'm concerned there are still bugs in it, the version you have probally will quit at VIM - as that is a bug, being fixed by me right now - i'm trying to build cairo-1.0.2 manually and see if it builds, if so I will emerge --onlydeps cairo, and have it build cairo 1.0.2 manually, then inject or add it to package.provided (after xorg-x11 is setup)
----
Conrad is still a very young set of projects... Lucky hasn't even been released yet, and was uploaded for testing purposes only...

Conrad is NOT all about the instability and gcc 4.0.2/reiser4 (though that is how it started)

I will let you know, once the lucky scripts work - There will be a few versions (lucky-conrad.sh - what your testing now, lucky-stable.sh - will use stable x86 branch of portage, do a stage3 installation, and customize slightly/rebuild the system, lucky-unstable.sh - the same thing as lucky-stable, except uses the ~x86 branch with gcc 3.4.x, glibc-2.3.6, and binutils-2.16.1)

Because not everyone wants a hardcore system, they want a rock, and I decided to make multiple versions to share with everyone who wants to install gentoo.
-----
And the conrad guide is just telling you how to get a running system with gcc 4.0, and other good stuff :)
As I said, report cairo bug to bugs.gentoo.org - I'm trying to build it manually after I emerge its dependencies to see if its a problem with the ebuild or one of the patches...maybe Also theres a gcc 4.0 patch somewhere for it, and I'm missing it.
Lost in android development land.

Last edited by cheater1034 on Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
seren
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i must apologize, when i wrote that post i was extremelyfrustrated, and i understand this is very beta and the reason i (should) be using it is to speed up future development. and the bug with cairo has been fixed their is a 1.0.2-r1 ebuild on https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=113538 i just dont know why nothing showed up when i was searching around for it. anways ill let you know what happens with this install. also what are the steps after it asks to install vim? is that before or after it asks about installing X? im just curious as i want to know if i have to download the overlay for xorg 6.9_pre or not.

Last edited by seren on Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
bountykiller
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheater1034 wrote:
bountykiller wrote:
Coooooooolllllllllll 8)
But I'm having a littke prob: python-2.4.2 don't want to compile. So I try to emerge the system package by package.
Hope for you you won't have the same problem.

Is this using stage1?

Python-2.4* compiles fine here.
Also, looks like stage1 wont be used, in the LiveCD while testing stuff (I'm osless, tommorrow comes the final "Lucky" Test!)

I tried stage1, edited everything needed, then ran bootstrap and it wasnt compiling what I wanted, (binutils-2.15 (2.16.90* was set), glibc-2.3.6 (2.3.90* was set), gcc-3.3.6 (4.0.2-r1 was set)_

The odd thing is, emerge -a binutils glibc gcc, showed the versions I wanted? - Stage3 works fine on everything, and the handbook says stage1/2 are no longer explained, but you can rebuild a stage3 to make it optimized :)

Just an update: I was able to compile python by removing my '-O3' in /etc/make.conf by '-O1'.
Now bootstrap is done, and emerging the system as well. My kernel is also there, so I'm going to set up grub and then reboot and see the result :). (yes, I will also have to compile x.org & co...)
seren
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you SHOULDNT use O3 in gcc 4 best sticking with -O2 -march-yourarch -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe
cheater1034
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seren wrote:
i must apologize, when i wrote that post i was extremely frusterated, and i understand this is very beta and the reason i (should) be using it is to speed up future development. and the bug with cairo has been fixed their is a 1.0.2-r1 ebuild on https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=113538 i just dont know why nothing showed up when i was searching around for it. anways ill let you know what happens tonite with this install. also what are the steps after it asks to install vim? is that before or after it asks about installing X? im just curious as i want to know if i have to download the overlay for xorg 6.9_pre or not.

VIM is right before setting the password and X
----
Another thing, great to hear that ebuild is fixed, I had several messages about cairo :)
----
Also, I fixed the bug in the script about not automatically starting again - And I fixed the VIM bug, I am waiting for the new cairo ebuild before building.
I think it is almost completely stable, once the cairo is fixed, Then I'm going to work on the other versions of the scripts and prepare for a beta release.
seren
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well ill let you know how it runs. im going to download the patches and the new ebuild and put it in my overlay until its in portage. then if i can actually get everything to compile im going to make a stage4 tarball with gcc 4.0.2-r1 glibc 2.3.90*.x binutils 2.16.91.0.4 with gnome 2.13.1. if i can get it all to run ill be happy.
RobNyc
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Must use a seperate /boot if I use reiser4?
miseiler
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobNyc wrote:

Yes. GRUB is very picky about what filesystem it boots, and using Reiser4 on your /boot will break things.

So, stick ext3 (or another) on your /boot. Just make sure it's seperate, and not reiser4.
RobNyc
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miseiler wrote:
RobNyc wrote:

Yes. GRUB is very picky about what filesystem it boots, and using Reiser4 on your /boot will break things.

So, stick ext3 (or another) on your /boot. Just make sure it's seperate, and not reiser4.
Well, I have the conrad installed but my seperate /boot is not properly setup so i'm on chroot .. upgrading to kde 3.5

So i'm waiting for conrad to ssh and fix my grub :)

I use reiser4 and I'll use the /dev/hda1 = /boot for it then

/dev/hda2 = /root
/dev/hda3 = /swap
Styles
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the ebuild command in 10.3 of the howto missing a command?

Code:
10.3 - Emerging The Kernel
(NOTE: Depending on which kernel you chose, substitute as necessary)
Code:
# mkdir -p /usr/local/portage/sys-kernel/nitro-sources
# mv nitro-sources-* /usr/local/portage/sys-kernel/nitro-sources
# ebuild /usr/local/portage/sys-kernel/nitro-sources/nitro-sources-2.6.14-r2.ebuild   <---------RIGHT HERE
# echo sys-kernel/nitro-sources ~x86 >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
# emerge archck-sources
cheater1034
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Styles wrote:
Is the ebuild command in 10.3 of the howto missing a command?

Code:
10.3 - Emerging The Kernel
(NOTE: Depending on which kernel you chose, substitute as necessary)
Code:
# mkdir -p /usr/local/portage/sys-kernel/nitro-sources
# mv nitro-sources-* /usr/local/portage/sys-kernel/nitro-sources
# ebuild /usr/local/portage/sys-kernel/nitro-sources/nitro-sources-2.6.14-r2.ebuild   <---------RIGHT HERE
# echo sys-kernel/nitro-sources ~x86 >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
# emerge archck-sources

Yes sorry :)

ebuild nitro-sources.ebuild digest* is what it should be, I will edit it once I get back into graphical environment.
Styles
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also I think your project would benifit a wiki for the howto ;) if you need help or anything let me know

;)

Cheers,
Eric
seren
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im in the process of finishing my install of the pre beta version of lucky i had the vim error but it wasnt a big deal, from their i setup my overlay with nitro-sources nxtsy's glibc,ixnay's xorg 6.9 pre and break my gentoo. im not going to test gcc 410 until its atleast ~x86 right now im finishing my emerge of gnome 2.13.1 ill keep you updated
RobNyc
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is everybody liking nitro sources?
I think its the fastest 1 of all what do u guys think?
seren
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Styles wrote:
also I think your project would benifit a wiki for the howto ;) if you need help or anything let me know

;)

Cheers,
Eric

i think wiki would great that way no one can complain about mistakes =)
anyNiXwilldo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:57 am    Post subject: Conrad... Reply with quote

Ok, I just installed Conrad, although I used neither the live CD nor the scripts. I installed via "chroot" from my main Gentoo Jackass! (Thanks Bob P!) installation onto a separate partition on my hard drive. Actually, I had an existing Gentoo Jackass! install on that partition and simply upgraded Jackass! to Conrad via chroot. I first uninstalled all desktops and unnecessary apps to get a very slimmed down Jackass! Next, I used "emerge depclean -p" to slim the Jackass! install down further. I used the following CFLAGS, which are the same used for Jackass! except -O3 was changed to -O2. (Python would not build with -O3 on Conrad with my method):

CFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -pipe"
CFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -O2"
CFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -fweb"
CFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -frename-registers"
CFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -fforce-addr"
CFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -momit-leaf-frame-pointer"
CFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -fomit-frame-pointer"
CFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -ftracer"
#
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -fvisibility-inlines-hidden"

I rebuilt the toolchain twice, then "emerge -e world." After that, I emerged kdebase-startkde, which pulled in the Xorg overlay previously mentioned here, as well as qt and a tiny KDE 3.5 environment. Oh, the nvidia drivers built and work flawlessly with this method as well. I can't yet say I have noticed a speed increase. Once I have finished building KDE, I will have to prelink the system in order to compare Conrad speed-wise it to my present Jackass! system.

This method of install went off without any hitches. Don't know if the CFLAGS are appropriate for gcc 4.02 but the apps built with those flags regardless.

OOPS! Forgot to mention, I used gentoo-sources for the kernel. I have no desire for reiser4 at this time, so nitro really wasn't necessary for my needs.
RobNyc
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here's what I got to say..

os[Linux 2.6.14-nitro2 i686] distro[Gentoo Base System version 1.12.0_pre11] cpu[2 x Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz @ 3.00GHz] mem[Physical : 883MB, 79.2% free] disk[Total : 90.82GB, 85.70% Free] video[ATI Technologies Inc RV280 [Radeon 9200 PRO]] sound[ICH4 - Intel ICH5]

my kde 3.5 is actually lagging for some reason. I've ran kde 3.5 beta / rc1 in frugalware and kanotix and it was hell fast. Sure my applications open fast , but theres something wrong with this you know "cheater" ..

Cheater I was also having problems with /etc/init.d/ while booting up. i had to take out the vesafb=off line cuz it was giving me real bad errors.
i dont know, if by the end of this month i dont stop getting errors i might just go back to kororaa or just go with a less problem distro :-X

Well.. let me see what else .. hmm i'll talk to u in the chat

oh yea as you see .. i have 1024mb of ram not 883

and i noticed, conrad doesn't create no xf86config or xorg.conf .. it just goes but it gives me a bad screen-resolution
so i had to use phaeronix's X . cuz pclos one was bad on gentoo
anyNiXwilldo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobNyc wrote:
Sure my applications open fast , but theres something wrong with this you know "cheater" ..

There is nothing wrong with the Conrad install method. As Bob P explained to you on this page:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-378425-postdays-0-postorder-asc-start-75.html?sid=7133b3980f2f18b787d72e42e3627df1

" I would add that you should AVOID any of the more advanced methods, whether they be Jackass!, Stage 1/3 or Kororaa. Unfortunately, you're trying to take a shortcut, and you can't do that with a source based distro. "

And in this case, your problem is unfamiliarity regarding configuration of xorg from scratch. Have you tried using xorgconfig? It is located in /usr/X11R6/bin. That may help you configure xorg correctly. You will also need to install the ATI drivers for your video card and edit the xorg.conf correctly to reflect this. In other words, get your xorg configuration correct and there won't be "something wrong with this you know "cheater."

RobNyc wrote:
and i noticed, conrad doesn't create no xf86config or xorg.conf .. it just goes but it gives me a bad screen-resolution so i had to use phaeronix's X .

Very true. Gentoo does not create an xorg.conf for you as other distributions do. Conrad is based on Gentoo so the same is true. Gentoo is a source based distribution requiring that much configuration be done from scratch by editing text files. Those who have little understanding of how this works could well have difficulties setting up a Gentoo system properly.

RobNyc wrote:

Just as you have errors in your xorg.conf, you also have an error in your kernel configuration if the correct amount of memory doesn't show. You need to turn on high memory support in your kernel configuration, then all of your RAM will be used.
seren
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im having a problem with emerging vte, so im 8 packages away from getting gnome running luckly i got xfce to merge so i can wait until i can fix vte it MAY be a local problem but i put a bug report on bugzilla anyways i get no error when trying to emerge vte so its hard to solve. heres my output

x11-libs/vte-0.11.15-r1
Code:
/bin/sh ../libtool --tag=CC --mode=link i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/pango-1.0    -O2 -march=pentium4 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe  -O2 -march=pentium4 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe   -o vte  vteapp.o libvte.la  -lncurses  -lSM -lICE  -lX11   -lm -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lgdk-x11-2.0 -latk-1.0 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lm -lpangocairo-1.0 -lcairo -lfontconfig -lpangox-1.0 -lpango-1.0 -lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -ldl -lglib-2.0    -lSM -lICE  -lX11  -lncurses  -lSM -lICE  -lX11   -lm
i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -O2 -march=pentium4 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -O2 -march=pentium4 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -o .libs/vte vteapp.o  ./.libs/libvte.so /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so /usr/lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.so /usr/lib/libatk-1.0.so /usr/lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so /usr/lib/libpangocairo-1.0.so /usr/lib/libpangoft2-1.0.so /usr/lib/libcairo.so -lXrender -lXext -lpng12 /usr/lib/libfontconfig.so /usr/lib/libfreetype.so -lz /usr/lib/libexpat.so /usr/lib/libpangox-1.0.so /usr/lib/libpango-1.0.so /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so /usr/lib/libgmodule-2.0.so -ldl /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so -lncurses -lSM -lICE -lX11 -lm

if anyone has any ideas please let me know
cheater1034
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyNiXwilldo wrote:
RobNyc wrote:
Sure my applications open fast , but theres something wrong with this you know "cheater" ..

There is nothing wrong with the Conrad install method. As Bob P explained to you on this page:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-378425-postdays-0-postorder-asc-start-75.html?sid=7133b3980f2f18b787d72e42e3627df1

" I would add that you should AVOID any of the more advanced methods, whether they be Jackass!, Stage 1/3 or Kororaa. Unfortunately, you're trying to take a shortcut, and you can't do that with a source based distro. "

And in this case, your problem is unfamiliarity regarding configuration of xorg from scratch. Have you tried using xorgconfig? It is located in /usr/X11R6/bin. That may help you configure xorg correctly. You will also need to install the ATI drivers for your video card and edit the xorg.conf correctly to reflect this. In other words, get your xorg configuration correct and there won't be "something wrong with this you know "cheater."

RobNyc wrote:
and i noticed, conrad doesn't create no xf86config or xorg.conf .. it just goes but it gives me a bad screen-resolution so i had to use phaeronix's X .

Very true. Gentoo does not create an xorg.conf for you as other distributions do. Conrad is based on Gentoo so the same is true. Gentoo is a source based distribution requiring that much configuration be done from scratch by editing text files. Those who have little understanding of how this works could well have difficulties setting up a Gentoo system properly.

RobNyc wrote:

Just as you have errors in your xorg.conf, you also have an error in your kernel configuration if the correct amount of memory doesn't show. You need to turn on high memory support in your kernel configuration, then all of your RAM will be used.

Hello!
Great to hear there were no problems on your install :) (which is what is intended :))

I dont use reiser4 myself either, as you mentioned in a previous post - I use reiserfs it is more stable, I dont need reiser4 for really anything yet...
----
Also thanks for clearing this up,
The CONRAD Install Method and "Lucky" Install Scripts are a method of installing Gentoo Linux, however, it is the exact same as running a gentoo system, except you use a custom make.conf setup, toolkit, and other various things (such as reiser4)

Neither thing (conrad or "lucky") creates an xorg.conf automatically, it doesnt automatically configure alsa - The kernel made from the universal config is not highly optimized, it is designed to run on any system universally, it is reccomended compiling it manually however,
Gentoo is not a distribution that is aiming to be "Easy" or "Flawless on first boot" it is aiming for several other important goals - and it is completely different from your average distribution, because it is source-based, has advantages like rc-update, conf.d, portage, very high optimization, etc...
-----
Seren:
Is there another version of vte? Try masking 0.11.15*, and try emerging the older one available, 0.13?
Or find the source code, and attempt to compile it manually (possibly adding any gcc4,etc, patches available) then inject it as required.
seren
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am a very lucky guy because i have two systems at my disposal so im going to try rc2 of the scripts right now, the only reason is because of the moduar xorg version included. when installing vte i was getting an error regarding xft2 so ill let you know how it works out. also i was wondering if it asks all the questions before doing anything, im my opinion this would be the easiest way for an install. answer 10 or so questions go to sleep, wake up go to sleep ;) and wake up again and hope to wake to your system booted and running.
cheater1034
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seren wrote:
i am a very lucky guy because i have two systems at my disposal so im going to try rc2 of the scripts right now, the only reason is because of the moduar xorg version included. when installing vte i was getting an error regarding xft2 so ill let you know how it works out. also i was wondering if it asks all the questions before doing anything, im my opinion this would be the easiest way for an install. answer 10 or so questions go to sleep, wake up go to sleep ;) and wake up again and hope to wake to your system booted and running.

Seren, Modular Xorg isn't included in RC2, it will be in RC3.

Follow the WIKI for modular xorg upgrade in the meantime...
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Modular_Xorg
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: