Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
CONRAD Install Guide 0.7.5 - (__DEPRECATED__)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enderandrew
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read that 4.1 actually fixes some problems found in 4.0.2, so it may actually be more stable than 4.0.2
Tiger683
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did a stage1 install with 4.1_beta20051112, can't say much about longterm stability, but with enabled vectorization and --as-needed linker flag, system is a lot faster, and somehow my emerge--sync takes only 1 to 1,5 minutes .. ;)
KDE works like a charm
cheater1034
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I considered was - It's a newer version with updates and fixes of 4.0, and it shouldn't be too unstable.

But of course,
I'm not going to add it to the guide yet, until I test it personally - Which I just sync'd and I'm going to try emerging it, before I tried emerging it and it just stopped after unpacking? I thought ebuild error, maybe its updated now, So I'm going to run a new update process, and if all compiles well, it definitely will be in the installation ;)
------
*EDIT*

Apparently I had to add, "I_PROMISE_TO_SUPPLY_PATCHES_WITH_BUGS=1" to make.conf :) - For the ebuild to work.
------
I'm going to build the new compiler tonight, and the world, if it all goes well, I will add it to the default install :)
Lost in android development land.
enderandrew
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good. I've been busy reading countless Linux tutorials and such, reading over various distros and programs. I'm going to switch every box in my house to Linux in the next week and I plan on using your guide.
enderandrew
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your Pentium 3 script is pointing to the wrong tarball. It should be:

http://gentoo.osuosl.org/releases/x86/2005.1/stages/pentium3/stage3-pentium3-2005.1.tar.bz2

Edit: Also, I have a question. Your step 2 script has several commented out lines to emerge various programs. Yet the install instructions say to emerge these even before you build the kernel.

What I'm wondering, is if I actually emerge these before the kernel, and before we establish the new build-tools, aren't we emerging them with the old versions of GCC?

I then need to rebuild them later on GCC 4 and GLIBC 2.3.6, etc. I know I've yet to do an install, but it seems to me that this step belongs where you commented it out, in the part 2 script, not in step 7 of your install guide. Again, I could be crazy.

Code:
#emerge syslog-ng reiser4progs sysfsutils dhcpcd hotplug coldplug gentoolkit acpid

seren
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger683 wrote:
i did a stage1 install with 4.1_beta20051112, can't say much about longterm stability, but with enabled vectorization and --as-needed linker flag, system is a lot faster, and somehow my emerge--sync takes only 1 to 1,5 minutes .. ;)
KDE works like a charm

can you post your CFLAGS, and CXXFLAGS?
cheater1034
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enderandrew wrote:
Your Pentium 3 script is pointing to the wrong tarball. It should be:

http://gentoo.osuosl.org/releases/x86/2005.1/stages/pentium3/stage3-pentium3-2005.1.tar.bz2

Edit: Also, I have a question. Your step 2 script has several commented out lines to emerge various programs. Yet the install instructions say to emerge these even before you build the kernel.

What I'm wondering, is if I actually emerge these before the kernel, and before we establish the new build-tools, aren't we emerging them with the old versions of GCC?

I then need to rebuild them later on GCC 4 and GLIBC 2.3.6, etc. I know I've yet to do an install, but it seems to me that this step belongs where you commented it out, in the part 2 script, not in step 7 of your install guide. Again, I could be crazy.

Code:
#emerge syslog-ng reiser4progs sysfsutils dhcpcd hotplug coldplug gentoolkit acpid

I undertand what you're thinking.

As for the p3 tarball, it doesnt really matter, the entire world is rebuilt for pentium3 anyway, and the kernel is built with your arch, honestly, I didnt know there was a p3 tarball :) however, it uses the i686 one and builds to a pentium3, so it's not a loss (I want to make sure all the tarballs are the same and as compatible, and no differences)

In the script, it does "emerge -e world", which rebuilds every single package on the system, the 90 some system packages, the kernel, grub, and all the other packages that you emerged additionally before the system was booted.

Because the conrad install guide does not build GCC4, and the rest of the toolkit, until the system is booted - therefore, you need to emerge the necessary network programs, etc for the network to be functional after booting (eg. dhcpcd)

The rc-update and emerging of programs should have already be done, and the emerge -e world will rebuild every single package emerged, this way, it is a lot more convenient, and we don't have to guess what programs you emerged, it gives you the choice in step7 to emerge the programs you feel necessary, and we do not have to "assume" what you need or any other user needs - it is more convenient to run emerge -e world, as the entire world will be rebuilt, not just the system :)
-----
It's fine to ask any questions before starting this install - I reccomend reading over the Gentoo Handboook before starting this install for anyone who is unfamiliar with gentoo because this is an advanced way of installing gentoo.

And since people see GCC 4.0 and the make.conf has ~x86 (more ~x86 packages support GCC4) they get curious to reasons about doing this - I will answer any questions you have to the best of my ability :)

Thankyou for your interest in this guide,
- Brandon B

------
SideNote:
The new Conrad LiveCD (0.2) has been delayed - I re-built the build environment from scratch for i686 and GCC 4.0 (Reason: I can use the same build environment for the Conrad X-LiveCD (new name for the installable LiveCD with the lxnay version of Gentoo GLI), and I am using it as a build environment for the Conrad Tarballs (GCC 4.0 enabled) for those who dont want to go through compile times of this guide (which can be up to 8 hours/1 night until the working, new GCC 4.0 system is booted, and the second script is finished - On an estimate 1.7-2.0 ghz processors)

Stay tuned for...
* Conrad LiveCD 0.2
* Conrad Stage3 Tarballs (GCC 4.0/Prebuilt)
* Conrad X-LiveCD Alpha1 (Codenamed: Maggie)
* Other updates to this guide
micr0c0sm
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: nvidiafb Reply with quote

On a laptop with a nvidia video card and native resolution of 1920x1200, you will need to append video=nvidiafb:1600x1200 to the end of your boot line ('e' in grub). Nvidiafb detects monitors with a native resolution of 1920x1200, but displays it incorrectly (as does vesafb-tng).

I have a dell 9300 with 6800go video card and wuxga screen.

This is just a little heads up.
cheater1034
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Conrad LiveCD has been delayed :( possibly another 2 days :(

I will be working my hardest now to get this to you, and get this to you right.

I will let you know production on the X-LiveCD has been started, a build environment with GCC 4.1.0_beta2005* is building as I type.

Here's my sad, very sad story...
I was in /mnt - Looking to mount a squashfs image from a lxnay DVD so I could get the, dvdinstall.sh, bash script and have a look at it - Unfortuneatly, I was ready to delete the image, I did rm -rf *, thinking I was in /mnt/squashfs, unfortuneatly, I was in /mnt, and the /mnt/conrad directory, with all the projects, LiveCD, Stage3, etc (NOT X-LiveCD :)) have been deleted, before I realized what I did, it was irreversible.
-----
The Conrad LiveCD is going to be just as good, I still have the isolinux directory (thankyou) and I'm going to use a different compiler, gcc 4.1.0_beta*, it's , One unique minimal LiveCD built with GCC 4.1 ;) - GCC 4.1.0_beta on this CD, GCC 4.1.0_beta2005* on the X-LiveCD
Tiger683
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seren wrote:
Tiger683 wrote:
KDE works like a charm

Look in the gcc-4.1 thread in P&P.. ;) i posted my whole emerge --info there
micr0c0sm
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:01 am    Post subject: irc channel Reply with quote

so, how about an irc channel on irc.freenode.net ... something like #conrad or #gentoo-conrad or #conrad-gentoo ...
enderandrew
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait for the new CD. I'm ready to do my first install.
seren
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger683 wrote:
seren wrote:
Tiger683 wrote:
KDE works like a charm

Look in the gcc-4.1 thread in P&P.. ;) i posted my whole emerge --info there

yes i got it going but my videocard borked out on me now i had to put my hard disk in this pc its not so bad im gonna dual boot so i can reinstall the conrad method but im going to do it from a chrooted enviroment not from the lice cd =) anyways i got the kernel set up im about to start wish me luck. im also going to edit the scripts to emerge gcc 4.1.0 =)
Tiger683
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

expecting that it will simply take off and complete like usual conrad install is rather....
...wrong. There are many packages to still be fixed by hand, and one more thing:
if you aren'T going to test it only and submit bugs with patches fixing these, then you shouldn't use it yet
:wink:
seren
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why else would i do it? im a small part of the development of this project and i was going to make the scripts for gcc 4.1.0 then and see how they worked if they dont work im gonna see how to get them to work.....
RobNyc
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheater, wish ur work best of luck. The way I see stuff I'm thinking about forgetting Gentoo since its so complex
talk to you later about this on irc
cheater1034
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

micr0c0sm wrote:
so, how about an irc channel on irc.freenode.net ... something like #conrad or #gentoo-conrad or #conrad-gentoo ...

I am working on this :) I am waiting for a reply from freenode.

enderandrew wrote:
I can't wait for the new CD. I'm ready to do my first install.

You don't have to wait for the new CD, the current CD is sufficient, just with an older kernel (2.6.14_rc3-nitro) | But the current LiveCD still consists of the latest reiser4progs :) (1.0.5)

------
/ SideNote:
EDIT: Added KDE 3.5_RC1 Install Option
The build environment for the Conrad LiveCD 0.2 was built (GCC 4.1.0_beta2005*) This compiler is clearly unstable, I am getting tons of random errors, this is not going to be in the install until stable is released, the environment WILL be built with 4.0.2 | build in progress - 8/92 on emerge --emptytree system as we speak

Again, GCC 4.1.0_beta2005* will NOT be in the installation guide until it is stable - it fails to compile on several C++ Applications - 4.0.2 is a way more stable option still.

The Conrad X-LiveCD environment is derived from the Install CD Envrionment - And therefore you could say its building at the exact same time as the LiveCD - I am going to attempt to fit the following on the CD (KDE 3.5_RC1, Gnome 2.12.1, Xorg 6.9_RC/CVS, Gaim, Firefox, Thunderbird, The GLI - With 4 options, (stage1,2, or 3) currently from official gentoo tarballs - Or the purpose of the CD, the CD - HDD Copy, which will get you everything you see on the CD, GCC 4.0.2 (rather than the official tarball default: 3.3.5/3.3.6)
RobNyc
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I Know u dont need a response from freenode, u can open it, register it etc right away.

I know some folks that can help u
cheater1034
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:46 pm    Post subject: New IRC Channel! Reply with quote

I created a IRC Channel for CONRAD on FreeNode
Code:
On FreeNode | #conrad-gentoo

jastom
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi cheater1034,

could you estimate release date for your X-LiveCD?

greets
jastom
enderandrew
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to do my first install yesterday. The LiveCD will boot just find on my desktop unit, but halts with a CC error everytime on my craptop.
carpman
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello, ok using 5.1 version install and all seems ok on test box except when i try and vuscan (not an emerge app) soon as i try and do scan preview or scan pdflush hogs all the cpu and eventually box freezes.

I beleive the pdflush error is bug related to reiser4?

Bit of pain as this is to be boxs primary use.
SATA Areca 1210 Raid
BFG OC2 8800 GTS 640mb
--------------------------------
Notebook
Samsung Q45 7100 4gb
seren
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im getting the pdflush error when i reboot with ctrl alt del in a terminal, im going to run the shutdown command and see it its just ctrl alt del doing it, i think i got one pdflish error when a emerge completed though. i havent had any problems in the past. i just did ANOTHER =) install. never seen that error before trying the latest script. dunno what it is.
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are most packages in gentoo building with GCC 4.0.2 without any problems?
seren
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

never had a problem, make sure you read up on stable cflags.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: