Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
gentoo kernel failure ... unbale to completed installation
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schwarzy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 10:51 am    Post subject: gentoo kernel failure ... unbale to completed installation Reply with quote

HELP !!

I went throught all installation steps up to the kernel source compilation.

When the compilation of the kernel is able to finish, I got a kernel meditation in the PCI probe at boot.

The kernel is 2.4.19-gentoo-rc5.

The system is a AMD Athlon XP 1800+, with native VIA ide chipset and a PROMISE ide chipset. During installation, ide0/1 are for Promise chipset and ide2/3 are for VIA chipset (why the hell are they swaped !!!).
It use to compile with ACPI and APIC enable.
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 4:06 pm    Post subject: Try dropping ACPI Reply with quote

So did I, but only after I rebuilt my system with brand new glibc, binutils and gentoo-sources-r7. ACPI used to work in my original plain install with gentoo-sources-r5. I noticed that in r7 they state explicitly in the kernel setup that ACPI is dangerous and should only be used if you need it. Damn and blast ...

So the long and short of it is, forget about ACPI and enable APM/PCI PnP support instead (BTW, you shouldn't select the latter if you selected the former). Alternatively you could try using the vanilla-sources, or checking the ACPI project pages for newer patches and applying them to the kernel yourself.

It's fairly easy to recover and build a different kernel:

1. Boot from the Gentoo CD again
2. Carry out the steps in Code Listing 8
3. Carry out the steps in Code Listing 14, but you only need to run the first mkdir command, ignore the mkdir /mnt/gentoo/boot.
4. cd /mnt/gentoo
5. mount -o bind /proc /mnt/gentoo/proc
6. Carry out the steps in Code Listing 17
7. Configure and compile your kernel again as per Code Listing 25. However observe the following: for best results, make menuconfig and save your kernel configuration to a file using the option at the bottom of the menu. Exit menuconfig, then make mrproper. make menuconfig again, and restore your kernel config using the option at the bottom of the menu. Now proceed as normal.
8. Carry out the steps in Code Listing 41
9. Reboot and cross your fingers!
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 4:10 pm    Post subject: RE: IDE controllers swapped Reply with quote

Quote:
During installation, ide0/1 are for Promise chipset and ide2/3 are for VIA chipset (why the hell are they swaped !!!)

That might be because the Gentoo team configured the "Boot off-board chipsets first support" option in the kernel that the installation CD uses. The logic there, I suppose, is that if you went to the troubled of, say, buying an IDE RAID card then you probably want that to be seen first. I'm not sure, but that could screw things up if you don't also select that option when you configure your kernel. Best be on the safe side .... unless anyone else knows better :?:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: