Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
PCMCIA hotplug networking issue with eth0 (eepro100 driver)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dopey
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 5:23 pm    Post subject: PCMCIA hotplug networking issue with eth0 (eepro100 driver) Reply with quote

Hi all,
I built my kernel with pcmcia support and pcmcia drivers from the kernel rather than from pcmcia-cs. Did it this way since kernel pcmcia seems the way to go. The problem is that the kernel stuff uses the hotplug subsystem to load everything. If I plug in my network card, the hotplug subsystem does not appear to be properly loading everything in the right order.
According to the logs it loads net.eth0 first, then tries to modprobe the module
which obviously won't work since dhcpcd client won't properly bind to eth0 if the module isn't loaded:

Mar 4 11:09:08 localhost /etc/hotplug/net.agent: invoke /etc/init.d/net.eth0 start
Mar 4 11:09:08 localhost /etc/hotplug/pci.agent: pcimodules is scanning more than ...
Mar 4 11:09:08 localhost /etc/hotplug/pci.agent: Setup eepro100 snd-es1968 maestro usb-uhci uhci yenta_socket for PCI slot 06:00.0
Mar 4 11:09:08 localhost /etc/hotplug/pci.agent: ... blacklisted module: maestro
Mar 4 11:09:08 localhost /etc/hotplug/pci.agent: ... blacklisted module: usb-uhci
Mar 4 11:09:08 localhost /etc/hotplug/pci.agent: ... blacklisted module: uhci

The other goofy thng is that if I remove the device I get the following:
Mar 4 11:08:43 localhost /etc/hotplug/pci.agent: PCI remove event not supported
Mar 4 11:08:43 localhost /etc/hotplug/net.agent: invoke /etc/init.d/net.eth0 stop

However, /mnt/.init.d/started still has net.eth0 listed as started. And if I replug my card in, the logs tell me that net.eth0 is already started.

Any ideas what's the deal with this? It appears to be an issue with the order it tries to do stuff. But I haven't figured it all out.
Manually running net.eth0 stop; net.eth0 start does bind correctly.

Thanks
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: