Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Alpha and Gentoo Universal 2005.1 "bugs" ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crisp
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Alpha and Gentoo Universal 2005.1 "bugs" ? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am installing Gentoo 2005.1 (Alpha) on a Digital 600AU workstation. I used the 2.6 kernel available on the livecd.

I've noticed that I am unable to extract bzipped archives, e.g. the stages or portage snapshots. Tar fails with the error:

"tar: Child process died with error 10"

and when running bzip2 on the archive, I simply get a "bus error" (what bus?!). I worked around the problem by extracting the bzip archive on another PC (over SSH), but I think I can assume that this is not the intended behaviour :).

Also, I noticed that there are some naming errors in the 2005.1 Installation Handbook for Alpha, e.g. the proposed partition layout has /dev/sda3 as the root and not /dev/sda2 which is constantly refered to in the text.
Crisp
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:41 am    Post subject: You'll love this Reply with quote

Interesting turn to the story: today I reboot with the Gentoo 2005.1 livecd, and I notice that now bzip2 works, but fdisk gives that darn "Bus Error" again. This makes me believe that the problem is hardware related, pretty much solving what I described above.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: