Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Pointing Portage to files on disk, not the internet?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OdinsDream
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2002 4:31 pm    Post subject: Pointing Portage to files on disk, not the internet? Reply with quote

Is it true that Portage requires a connection to the internet, even if I downloaded the 100+MB ISO image?

The help documents mention that this CD has a "packages" directory on it, but I fail to see that in the directory listing, apparently it only has

isolinux
stage1...tgz2
stage2...tgz2
stage3...tgz2

If I ask it to emerge kde, it starts downloading packages from the internet. If these are stored on the CD somewhere, can I instead point emerge to them?

If so, what is the method to do this?
theprisoner6
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 3:37 am    Post subject: Post subject: Pointing Portage to files on disk, not the int Reply with quote

OdinsDream,

It is my understanding that the binary packages only come on the "real" gentoo cds. (the ones you can buy for like $5)

However, if you can get the binaries elsewhere (cd-R, d/l from another computer, etc), the command to tell emerge to use binary packages is:

emerge --usepkg /mnt/where/package/is/kdebase-.x.x.x.tbz2

make sure you do an "export PKGDIR=/where/the/pkgs/are" before running the emerge command.

Hope that helps..

-Michael

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: Post subject: Pointing Portage to files on disk, not the Reply with quote

theprisoner6 wrote:
OdinsDream,

It is my understanding that the binary packages only come on the "real" gentoo cds. (the ones you can buy for like $5)

However, if you can get the binaries elsewhere (cd-R, d/l from another computer, etc), the command to tell emerge to use binary packages is:

emerge --usepkg /mnt/where/package/is/kdebase-.x.x.x.tbz2

make sure you do an "export PKGDIR=/where/the/pkgs/are" before running the emerge command.

Hope that helps..

-Michael

If that's true about the $5 cd, I'll definitely buy one. I just assumed they were the same ISO image you could download from the release directory...
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's my understanding they just sell the standard (downloadable) ISO burned on cd for people who don't have a good internet connection. Not every package is compiled to its binary equivalent, the basic package are compiled so you can install gentoo more quickly.

Cya lX
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: