OpenOffice Emerge Problem
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
defconfoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 7:11 pm    Post subject: OpenOffice Emerge Problem Reply with quote

I'm having a problem emerging OpenOffice 1.0.2. It always stops after having done an md5checksum:

Quote:
# emerge openoffice
Calculating dependencies ...done!
>>> emerge (1 of 1) app-office/openoffice-1.0.2 to /
>>> md5 ;-) OOo_1.0.2_source.tar.bz2
>>> md5 ;-) STLport-4.5.3.tar.gz
>>> md5 ;-) gpc231.tar.Z
>>> md5 ;-) freetype-2.1.3.tar.bz2

The star at the end is red.

Any ideas?[/quote]
Skraut
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

Location: Norwalk, OH, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the exact same thing yesterday. I posted the same question, and really didn't get any response. I have noticed in my short time using Gentoo that some days things that don't work yesterday will work today. In fact I was able to emerge samba today and had other errors on it a few days ago. I just plan on emerging and unmerging Openoffice-bin and trying the regular openoffice every couple days.

Sorry I can't be any more help, it stumped me too. A red star is not exactly the most descriptive of error messages.
Ian
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

of course, it means the soviets have taken over gentoo! :p

i don't know if i can help any, but i just emerge openoffice last night/this morning, and it just finished about 10 minutes ago.

maybe you could try an "emerge rsync" until it gets around the red star?

as i said, i don't think i can help much, but another rsync never hurt anyone (well, until you eat up all the bandwidth :)).
eean
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 6:14 am    Post subject: Same problem Reply with quote

I'm having the exact same problem. Its really pretty baffling, I almost feel like figuring out how one goes about debugging python programs to figure out just what it thinks its doing.

I had hard drive trouble, so my installation of Gentoo is only a few days old. In other words, I havn't had much time to screw things up.
Skraut
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

Location: Norwalk, OH, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well something to further this and hopefully find a solution:

when trying to emerge openoffice with gnoportage I got the following further information.

Code:
!!! ERROR: app-office/openoffice-1.0.2 failed.
!!! Function pkg_setup, Line 137, Exitcode 0
!!! (no error message)

Calculating dependencies    ...done!
>>> emerge (1 of 1) app-office/openoffice-1.0.2 to /
>>> md5 ;-) OOo_1.0.2_source.tar.bz2
>>> md5 ;-) STLport-4.5.3.tar.gz
>>> md5 ;-) gpc231.tar.Z
>>> md5 ;-) freetype-2.1.3.tar.bz2

At least we know now that the red star is it exiting on line 137 with no error message. It's not MUCH more descriptive than the red star, but it's at least something to go on.
krjoseph
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 2:46 pm    Post subject: Check your java config Reply with quote

The only time I have had problems with openoffice emerge was when Blackdown was not set as my system java virtual machine. I did get an error telling me to set my jvm correctly, but who knows if that always works. It is at least something to check.

do 'java-config --help' to get the right syntax (sorry I'm at work on Windows). I think 'java-config --list-available-vms' will show you what is installed.

Then 'java-config --set-system-vm=blackdown-jdk-1.3.1' if you do not have it set.

Good luck.
Skraut
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried the Blackdown 1.4.1 JDK and JRE both, and with both I get the same error as above
eean
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 4:58 pm    Post subject: Did a bug report Reply with quote

I just filed a bug report. You can follow its progress at:
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=16750
ef11
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 5:09 pm    Post subject: Why release "extreme alpha" Reply with quote

I've had similar problems/trips with 1.0.2 openoffice.

Not to restate things, but the ebuild states that this is "extreme alpha" and that it won't work with any java implementation but blackdown.

I'm rather new to this whole gentoo thing (which I love) but I can't help but ask if this ebuild is ready to be unmasked?

P.S. I've masked it so that 'update world' flows smoothly.
eean
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 8:29 pm    Post subject: Solution Reply with quote

Apparently there is a bug in portage where it hangs on ewarn and eerrors that are blank. So, the solution is to go ahead and comment out all the ewarns and eerrors that are blank.
Here is the ebuild where I did this:
http://monroe.nu/openoffice-1.0.2-r1.ebuild

I think I catched them all. The problem was that I had to set my Java VM, and the message was surronded by blank eerror's.
sethbc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

please don't version bump ebuilds when you fix them. I know its not in portage, but if one of these poor fools installs it in portdir_overlay it will totally hax them when i DO release -r1 (which should happen shortly). Like i said, best bet, upgrade your portage....

emerge sync ; emerge portage

if you're really snazzy...sync and then

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~arch" emerge portage...but -r8 may be stable any time now
eean
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 3:34 pm    Post subject: That is the case Reply with quote

Actually, what happened in my case is that I did an emerge sync without thinking, so it deleted my ebuild file. Then the emerge failed when it apparently later needed to refer to it. I was using ccache, so it wasn't terrible, but still not a good thing.

But yes, the version of portage that came a few hours after I posted that message fix's the bug.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: