Xbox 1.6 Which modchip?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SqwkVFR
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:43 am    Post subject: Xbox 1.6 Which modchip? Reply with quote

So this evening I found myself bringing home a new Xbox. Came with the new Forza Motorsport game. Fun game, played for a while then got on the web to start figureing out Getoo on this thing. Well I'm sure I've got a 1.6 revision of some sort as it was made 2005-06-21. xbox scene et. al. just have my head spinning as to which chip to get etc. I would like to be able to run gentoo / gentoox on it so that it will function as Mythtv player, and also still be able to play games on it. Can this be done on a rev 1.6? Could someone point me in the correct direction??? Thanks :?:
dr3w
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend the Xecuter3CE. It's currently in my v1.6 xbox and was fairly simple to install. My box functions as myth frontend as well. I orignally had GentooX (http://gentoox.shallax.com) on it, which is a great xbox distro, however, I found it to be a little overkill just for the myth frontend. If you just need Linux for the myth, I would instead use XBMC as your dashboard and this set of python scripts that function as a mythtv frontend, http://sourceforge.net/projects/xbmcmythtv/ . These scripts are much faster and have much less overhead than running the actual mythtv frontend on GentooX. Don't get me wrong, GentooX is really good and the developers are doing a great job, but unless you need another Linux box and not just a myth frontend, it's like killing a horsefly with a hand grenade.
SqwkVFR
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the Xecuter3CE will I be able to still use it as an Xbox to play games? From the info on http://www.xbox-linux.org/wiki/Main_Page it doesn't sound like you can have a dual boot on the 1.6x rev Xbox.
dr3w
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it still functions as a normal xbox. Not only can you still play games from discs, but you can copy them to the hdd and play them without the disc. You can dual boot as well, the Xecuter3CE has room for 2 different bioses on the chip itself, selectable from the switches you install on the front of the box. Also, once installed, if you hold the power button in for a few seconds while turning it on, it'll bypass the chip completely and go straight to the regular old MS dashboard.
SqwkVFR
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr3w; Thanks for the advice and info Xecutor3CE should be here in a few days.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: