Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
XGL
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 28, 29, 30  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
d4rk74m4
Arch/Herd Tester
Arch/Herd Tester

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ianegg wrote:
I get the feeling I had to do that when I originally compiled it. I really should start making notes! Compiling now...

Woohoo... glxcompmgr now, tomorrow the world!!!

Urgh, spoke too soon....
Code:
ian ~ $ Xgl :1 -ac -accel xv -accel glx:pbuffer
_XSERVTransSocketOpenCOTSServer: Unable to open socket for inet6
_XSERVTransOpen: transport open failed for inet6/ian.gentoo:1
_XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: failed to open listener for inet6
Xgl: /var/tmp/portage/xgl-20060107/work/xserver/Mesa/src/mesa/drivers/x11/xm_api.c:1567: XMesaCreateVisual: Assertion `visinfo->nplanes > 0' failed.
Aborted

Once more with --disable-ipv6 :evil:

Not my day! Still getting various errors...
Code:
ian ~ $ Xgl :1 -ac -accel xv -accel glx:pbuffer
Xgl: /var/tmp/portage/xgl-20060107/work/xserver/Mesa/src/mesa/drivers/x11/xm_api.c:1567: XMesaCreateVisual: Assertion `visinfo->nplanes > 0' failed.
Aborted

I'm assuming this on amd64, I don't believe x86 will have the same problem. This error is because libGLcore (from Mesa) isn't being built with _XSERVER64 defined. This causes various things (in this case, the VisualID type) to be 8 bytes long instead of 4 and breaks things between the X server and the Mesa code. In a discussion with Brian Paul (Mesa dev), he seems to agree that the server-side Mesa code needs to be compiled with _XSERVER64 defined.

There are four options until this is fixed upstream.

1. Start Xgl with -noglx, but you won't be able to use GL inside the Xgl server.

2. Use David Reveman's Xgl snapshot (http://www.freedesktop.org/~davidr/), and do NOT pass --with-mesa-source to configure. This snapshot includes a fixed Mesa in the tree.

3. Use the source from xserver cvs (ie. kdrive), and export CFLAGS="<whatever> -D_XSERVER64" when running configure and make. This may or may not break something else, I don't know. But it does allow me to start an Xgl server.

4. Pinpoint the exact parts of the build which don't have _XSERVER64 defined, fix it and send upstream.

Hope this helps :)
ianegg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've already tried the -noglx option - it wasn't much fun :)

I haven't been able to compile Reveman's tarball for some reason... Probably my fault in the configure phase...

Trying option #3 now...

As for finding the parts missing _XSERVER64... Urm, I have no idea what I'd have to do there :)

Thanks for the help though.

But just to get this straight - does the cvs version have all the changes Dave Reveman & co. made, or have they not been merged yet?
d4rk74m4
Arch/Herd Tester
Arch/Herd Tester

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ianegg wrote:
I've already tried the -noglx option - it wasn't much fun :)

I haven't been able to compile Reveman's tarball for some reason... Probably my fault in the configure phase...

Trying option #3 now...

As for finding the parts missing _XSERVER64... Urm, I have no idea what I'd have to do there :)

Thanks for the help though.

But just to get this straight - does the cvs version have all the changes Dave Reveman & co. made, or have they not been merged yet?

Yes, kdrive cvs has davidr's changes in it along with a few other modifications since then.
ianegg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, thanks for that. It's working nicely now :)

Update:

I've been playing with Xgl all evening and it's been quite stable with most of my usual KDE session running on it. Xv / overlay is corrupted though.

glxcompmgr is excellent! The "wobbly" "shadow" and "fade" plugins work perfectly together, as long as you specify "shadow" before "fade". To load "rotate" or "zoom", you need "cube" first, but going through the souce doesn't shed any light on how to use any of those. No idea what "expose" does, and there's one called "gconf" that spews out an error and segfaults:
Code:
ian ~ $ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/opengl/xorg-x11/lib/ glxcompmgr gconf

(process:15767): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: gtype.c:2254: initialization assertion failed, use IA__g_type_init() prior to this function

(process:15767): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_new: assertion `G_TYPE_IS_OBJECT (object_type)' failed

(process:15767): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
Segmentation fault

Does it work for anyone else?
Belgabor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zehnan1 wrote:
Managed to compile glxcompmgr. I used the Hanno's ebuild from the link below. Runs great on nvidia closed source drivers. Wobbly windows are funky. :) Cube, zoom, rotation - don't know how to do those, if anyone knows, please share.

Hanno also has all the ebuilds concerning xgl (mesa, glitz, glxcompmgr). Though, Xgl didn't work for me (probably amd64), had to compile David's tarball.

http://www.hboeck.de/item/266

Does that mean you have glxcompmgr working on normal xorg-x11? I tried but for me it doesn't. What type of card do you have? NVidia?
ianegg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glxcompmgr will only run on the nested Xgl server, and not normal xorg-x11.

Once you have tested it and know it all works, you can run Xgl from the command line, and it will start up as if it was a normal X server - it's stable enough for me, but there are a few too many bugs to use it primarily.

I made a simple script called "startxgl", which I can run after logging in as a user instead of startx/kdm:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
Xgl -ac -accel xv -accel glx:pbuffer &
DISPLAY=:0 startkde

Having a script to toggle glxcompmgr bound to a button (lineak + multimedia keys) is quite handy too, for those werid meltdowns where it stops drawing properly:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
if [ `pidof glxcompmgr` ]; then
        killall glxcompmgr
else
        LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/opengl/xorg-x11/lib/ glxcompmgr wobbly shadow fade &
fi

Xgl with glxcompmgr is more stable than standard X with kompmgr, but produces more artifacts.
mariux2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it working on my Laptop with Mobility 9700 and fglrx-driver. Its f---ing sweet. No more redraw-issues. glxcompmgr with the wobbly-effect was amazing.

Used this howto : http://www.hboeck.de/item/266

Videos: http://stud.ntnu.no/~mariusst/video/xglx2.wmv sorry about wmv, but windows movie maker is the only way i seem to be able to make a decent compression (tried million commands in mencoder)

Still a few bugs though, most noticably in glxcompmgr though (without it Xglx is amazingly slow)
Belgabor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note for all that have a similar setup: the cvs checkout of the mesa ebuild provided on that site fails if your distfiles is mounted via nfs.
irondog
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ianegg wrote:
I've been playing with Xgl all evening and it's been quite stable with most of my usual KDE session running on it. Xv / overlay is corrupted though.
Quite the opposite here. Xv is running without any problems. All Qt stuff crashes XGL. Not only KDE apps, but even Qt designer.

http://tienstra4.flatnet.tudelft.nl/~gerte/pic/xgl5.png
Iluminatus
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys should really chekout CVS, new time stampjust arrive.

I advise you to download this snapshot it worked well here at first shot.

One more advise, check david's Airlied Journal.

http://www.livejournal.com/users/airlied/

I will really love kde 4 - :D
ianegg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys might want to chek out this comment on Hanno's howto:
#7 Lars T. Mikkelsen on 2006-01-18 23:45 wrote:
Hanno, thanks a lot for your ebuilds and this howto!

While I also had some trouble getting the cube/rotate, expose, and zoom plugins to run, they are actually working very nice. The issue seems to be that Xgl (or glxcompmgr) doesn't receive the proper key events, so the default keyboard shortcuts need to be changed. Here is a simple howto for changing the shortcuts:

1. Run glxcompmgr gconf cube expose fade rotate shadow wobbly zoom - the gconf plugin lets you use gconf to change the defaults
2. Run gconf-editor and locate the folder /apps/gnome-composite/plugins/
3. Change the shortcuts for each plugin, for example change zoom/screen0/options/initiate/value to [Control]Button3
4. Use your new shortcut in Xgl (there's no need to restart Xgl nor glxcompmgr)

I found the following modifiers working: [Shift], [Control], [ModeSwitch], and [NumLock]. The [Super] (Windows-key) modifier, used for most of the default shortcuts, does not work (at least on my system).
Furthermore, no keys are working, only mouse buttons and scroll, i.e. Button1..5.

Note: This comment system doesn't seem to be able to handle "less than" and "greater than" symbols. So [ should be read as "less than" and ] as "greater than".

EDIT: running " gconftool-2 --spawn " before running glxcompmgr with the gconf plugin has solved my segfault woes!

Last edited by ianegg on Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:02 am; edited 2 times in total
irondog
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iluminatus wrote:
You guys should really chekout CVS, new time stampjust arrive.
Yeah, some XGL code can be found in Xorg CVS.

Checkout my desktop:
http://tienstra4.flatnet.tudelft.nl/~gerte/pic/xgl.avi
boniek
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny stuff :D You guys running this on proprietary ati drivers perhaps? If so what card chipset? ;)
How about some translucent stuff?
ianegg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, gconftool-2 is a right awkward pain in the rectum.

I've been playing around, and managed to get the zoom plugin bound to the right mouse button. Plain(ish) sailing from here in, but the plugins are working, and all you need to enable them is gconf-editor or gconftool-2 and a lot of patience...

The first 2 steps didn't generate the right keys originally, but I managed to get it to work by deleting stuff and enabling different plugins, anyway, hopefully this will work first time for those who don't want to install gnome stuff:
Code:
gconftool-2 --spawn
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/opengl/xorg-x11/lib/ glxcompmgr gconf cube zoom rotate shadow fade wobbly &
gconftool-2 --type=String --set /apps/gnome-composite/plugins/zoom/screen0/options/initiate/value '<Control>Button3'

If you bind it to another button, you can zoom in multiple times.

To see a list of all the options you can change:
Code:
gconftool-2 -R /apps/gnome-composite

Note I used type=String rather than type=Binding, as the list would indicate.

I lost the RMB after changing the binding to something else, but restarting glxcompmgr sorted it.

SCREENSHOTS:
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c135/ianegg/zoom.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c135/ianegg/rotate.jpg

My god, this is too much fun! How did you capture those videos? I'm about to use a digital camera, but the full screen captures are nice...

Urgh, forgot to borrow the USB cable... I thought he had a flash card :(
StringCheesian
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ianegg wrote:
SCREENSHOTS:
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c135/ianegg/zoom.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c135/ianegg/rotate.jpg

*drools*. Is it fast and smooth while doing that?

ianegg wrote:
My god, this is too much fun! How did you capture those videos? I'm about to use a digital camera, but the full screen captures are nice...

The utility in irondog's video looks like x11-misc/xvidcap.

Can we see some more videos please please please?
ianegg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very smooth if I'm not doing anything else, but everything slows down a lot when I'm doing stuff like merges.

Just emerged xvidcap, will play about with it now, even though I should have been in bed hours ago!

Just want to add that you can bind keyboard buttons to the effects...

Hmm:
Code:
X Error of failed request:  BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
  Major opcode of failed request:  3 (X_GetWindowAttributes)
  Resource id in failed request:  0x0
  Serial number of failed request:  14
  Current serial number in output stream:  15

xvidcap doesn't like me.

Found a spare USB cable that fits the camera so I'll share the video with apache, but I don't exactly have the best internet connection in the world...

** removed - posted another **

It's only 1Mb and very bad quality I'm afraid... (And I didn't realise there'd be sound :) )

Last edited by ianegg on Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
boniek
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If thats the case, you should use something like rapidshare.de ;)
ianegg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! http://rapidshare.de/files/11327674/dsci0020.avi.html

Time for bed. I'll worry about getting higher quality videos tomorrow.

For those who want a more wobbly glxcompmgr experience: (with "gconftool-2 --spawn" and the gconf and wobbly plugins enabled)

Code:
gconftool-2 --type=String --set /apps/gnome-composite/plugins/wobbly/screen0/options/focus_effect/value 'Shiver'
gconftool-2 --type=String --set /apps/gnome-composite/plugins/wobbly/screen0/options/map_effect/value 'Explode'

(Default values are None and Shiver, respectively.)

For zooming and rotating (with cube zoom and rotate enabled)
Code:
gconftool-2 --type=String --set /apps/gnome-composite/plugins/rotate/screen0/options/initiate/value '<ModeSwitch>Button2'
gconftool-2 --type=String --set /apps/gnome-composite/plugins/rotate/screen0/options/terminate/value '<Release>Button2'
gconftool-2 --type=String --set /apps/gnome-composite/plugins/zoom/screen0/options/zoom_in/value '<ModeSwitch>Button4'
gconftool-2 --type=String --set /apps/gnome-composite/plugins/zoom/screen0/options/zoom_out/value '<ModeSwitch>Button5'

ModeSwitch is Alt Gr (right Alt) on my keyboard. Holding it down and pressing the middle mouse button lets you freely rotate the cube. It just renders 1 desktop 4 times though, so not useful in the slightest maybe it works differently in Gnome. Holding AltGr will also let you zoom in out out with the mouse wheel and pan around. Control or Shift can be used instead of ModeSwitch, but not combinations.

Different modifier keys seem to work with different keyboard keys. Ctrl + Tab works, but AltGr + Tab doesn't. This is probably a lot easier to adjust with gconf-editor for those with Gnome.

I haven't figured out how to set transparency, but GTK1 windows have the ARGB transparency bug, and windows can fade in and out, so transparency is there.

One more screenshot: http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c135/ianegg/zoom_rotate.jpg
boniek
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your input it will come in handy when this stuff works for me too ;) !
I've got a problem with compiling xgl. Using ebuild from hanno's howto. Error message says:
Quote:
No rule to make target `../../hw/xgl/libxgl.a', needed by `Xgl'. Stop.

Any ideas?
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zehnan1 wrote:

I'am using Xgl with E17. qt and gtk work. Everything just works. I started using Xgl as my main desktop.

could you tell me, how you get a wm (or anything) run in the Xgl window? (or Xgl at all).

I identify as a dirty penismensch.
oggialli
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start a WM with DISPLAY set to the display of the Xgl server? That's about it. Nevertheless at least for me it's too damn slow (with fglrx).
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

well, twm goes down with a font error ;)

enlightenment starts - but, how do I get Xgl to start enlightenment (or kwin, which seems not to have a -display option) to always be started?
I have a .xinitrc, but that seems to be ignored?

I identify as a dirty penismensch.
oggialli
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boniek wrote:
Thanks for your input it will come in handy when this stuff works for me too ;) !
I've got a problem with compiling xgl. Using ebuild from hanno's howto. Error message says:
Quote:
No rule to make target `../../hw/xgl/libxgl.a', needed by `Xgl'. Stop.

Any ideas?

Yeah, I tried it too now since others reported success with fglrx and it but fails with the same message.
oggialli
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
Hi,

well, twm goes down with a font error ;)

enlightenment starts - but, how do I get Xgl to start enlightenment (or kwin, which seems not to have a -display option) to always be started?
I have a .xinitrc, but that seems to be ignored?

Just set the DISPLAY environment variable correctly. Like DISPLAY=:1 /usr/bin/enlightenment-0.17 . Nevertheless, like that, e17 runs too slow at least for me with a R9800XT'esque card and fglrx. Still looking towards hannos ebuilds.
irondog
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
No rule to make target `../../hw/xgl/libxgl.a', needed by `Xgl'.  Stop.

Quote:
Any ideas?
Yep, same here. But finally got it running.
I resolved this by running make in /var/tmp/portage/xglbla and running this after that:

Code:

FEATURES="keepwork" emerge -av xgl

ianegg wrote:
It's very smooth if I'm not doing anything else, but everything slows down a lot when I'm doing stuff like merges.

I configured this in /etc/make.conf:
Code:

PORTAGE_NICENESS="19"

It runs smoothly when emerging. Then again it starts feeling shaky when compiling outside portage.

ianegg wrote:
I played around with xvidcap as mentioned. It crashes often, but I managed to make a video. I disabled shadows as the xvidcap capture border created a shadow as well, which gives strange effects.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 3 of 30

Jump to: