System not booting: mkdir -p /mnt/.init.d
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ariejan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2002 10:22 am    Post subject: System not booting: mkdir -p /mnt/.init.d Reply with quote

After I got an Input/Output error on removing /usr/portage/distfiles/xmms.tar.gz, I booted from the Gentoo CD, and e2fsck -yv my root partition.

According to the report, everything b0rked, is fixed now, the fs is clean.

So, I happily reboot my Gentoo system, to find it not working anymore!

Very fast I can see a message come by, before my computer reboots.

Quote:
mkdir -p /mnt/.init.d

So, I boot from CD again, mount my root partition under /mnt/gentoo, and run the mkdir -p /mnt/gentoo/.init.d command.

Reboot, but still, the same error!!

How can I get my system back working?? I just comiled X and KDE, which took quite a while, and I don't like losing it all now.

Any help is very much appreciated.
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2002 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: System not booting: mkdir -p /mnt/.init.d Reply with quote

ariejan wrote:
So, I boot from CD again, mount my root partition under /mnt/gentoo, and run the mkdir -p /mnt/gentoo/.init.d command.

I think you ment to say you have tried mkdir -p /mnt/gentoo/mnt/.init.d

Gentoo mounts a shm (memory disk) on this directory to store information related to the boot scripts, so it's very important and the system can't run without it.

Some ideas,
I think you use a ext2 partition, because you used e2fsck. If your using ext3, then maybe somethings wrong in the journal file.

Completly remove /mnt directory and remake the dirs it contained.

Maybe the problem lies somewhere else, but you can't see it during bootup, well first check the /mnt/.init.d dir, if it exists and if you can remake it. or cd into it, maybe something terrible happend to your harddisk or filesystem.

Hope you can fix it, lX
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: