Disadvantages of ~x86
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pauk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 7:14 am    Post subject: Disadvantages of ~x86 Reply with quote

I recently added ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" to my /etc/make.conf file so I could run a newer version of Mozilla and GAIM. I noticed there's a lot more packages available (updated versions of ethereal, nmap, etc).

Now, here's my question. I'm using my machine as a day-to-day desktop system. I don't want my system to fall over and die on my suddenly (It's my only machine...), but I do want to be able to run some of the more recent software.

Would it be (relatively) safe to continue working with ~x86 in my make.conf file, and would it also be (relatively) safe to update packages like GNOME, gcc, glibc, grub and some other tools Portage is recommending to me when I run a emerge -up system/world?

Thanks in advance!
slartibartfasz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'~x86' means that u use development packages - u cant be sure that they work...

i would use:

Code:
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge <package>

to install some newer packages. use 'emerge -U world' to prevent downgrading of those packages or remove them from your /var/cache/edb/world file after installation...
darktux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using ~x86 for quite some time, and no real problems yet. I guess I'm just lucky :wink:

www.tuxslare.org - My reborn website :P
slartibartfasz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah - i use ~x86 too - even on a production server - no serious problems so far, but i wouldnt do this if i had only one machine...if there is a problem with a major package (portage, glibc,...) u are in serious trouble.

in addition there are sometimes minor problems with one ebuild or the other and you should have at least some knowledge to work around them - from time to time i had to tweak a ebuild or implement a solution from bugs.gentoo.org - if u have no experience with this i would rather stay with the stable system for if something breaks serously and a reinstall is necessary it might buy u a few days without a running computer... :?
dolbz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running it only an only machine and haven't run into a problem yet. infact I prefer it because you really are on the bleeding edge and know that your system is as up to date as possible
idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using ~x86 since I installed Gentoo.. Most packages are fine to install, but of course others are not.. like CVS ebuilds for example and development branch ebuilds. But those shouldn’t install by default anyway, you will probably need to emerge them specifically...

Its ok to use ~x86 as long as you are careful and consider all the factors before you install potentially unstable software.
guero61
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have used "~x86" for several months now. I would note that back in November/December, I had some problems with the ~x86 packages nuking stuff, but never so badly that I had to start from scratch. I guess that's why it's called the "bleeding edge"
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: