No .config file, no default settings for kernel
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
duanecu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: No .config file, no default settings for kernel Reply with quote

I installed my Gentoo Linux for my PPC (iMac) and finally got it working. But I noticed that I didn't get a default settings for my Linux kernel settings (as you do for x86). As if I got no .config file to get me started. And I had to begin with checking all the things I needed.

Is this normal for the PPC kernel sources? Or did I forget something? I downloaded the gentoo-sources as per the instructions for PPC.
mw007
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not believe this is normal. I also use Gentoo PPC (on a G4) and it came with a default kernel config file. You could always try re-emerging gentoo-sources and see if that works for you.
mark_alec
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no such thing as a default kernel configuration (even on x86). You will initially need to check everything you need. On subsequent kernels you can just copy the working config to .config and all will be well.
mw007
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But in the Gentoo Handbook is only says to enable a few features that are common for most people. The others are already enabled. How is this if there is no default kernel config file?
duanecu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject: What? Reply with quote

mark_alec wrote:
There is no such thing as a default kernel configuration (even on x86). You will initially need to check everything you need. On subsequent kernels you can just copy the working config to .config and all will be well.

Wha? You bet there's a default kernel config. I've installed Gentoo many times on x86 and the usual settings are always already checked. These are the kind of settings that you normally expect and take for granted.

It's been a royal pain, and I'm glad this is not by design in Gentoo on PPC. It's taken me about a week to get my kernel to a normal booting mode with networking, etc. One may be quite surprised how many options are enabled by default.

I think I will try to do an emerge gentoo-sources just to be safe.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: