Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Running KDE, but the desktop itself is Gnome?!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arkepp
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 4:31 am    Post subject: Running KDE, but the desktop itself is Gnome?! Reply with quote

Hi,

not sure how I managed to do this, but somehow I am running KDE 3.1 while my desktop (the background + icons + rightclick) seem still to be Gnome? If I right click on the the desktop and say start terminal it will start a gnome-terminal. The taskbar and program menu are KDE 3.1 just like I want them.

I suspect I screwed this up while getting lost in the different desktop configuration utlities, any idea how I could get back to a plain, gdm-free KDE environment? Just to save memory and get a consistent theme.

Twist
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you are running nautilus as a startup program (with Nautilus set to draw the desktop).

You could always backup and nuke your ~/.kde3.1 directory, and build from there.

-Twist
bashnix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same damned problem... I don't recall how I created it though. I solved it by killing any and all nautilus/gnome tasks. After a couple of restarts of kde it worked correctly. Very annoying....
dbezona
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is something that happened to me that might be a clue as to what may be going on -

Recently I was using a Gnome app in KDE (can't remember which one), and opened the apps' help file.

This had the side-effect of launching Nautilus (needed to display the Gnome help file i guess), which took over the desktop.

Now, if you didn't notice it (I only noticed because it changed my background image), and you have KDE set to save your sessions (so the apps you have open when you log out re-open when you log back in), then it may be simply a matter of seeing if nautilus and any other gnome processes are running (ps -ef | grep nautilus and ps -ef | grep gnome*), killing them, then logging out and back into KDE.
arkepp
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I did something more than just opening an help file, probably used a Gnome utility to adjust my desktop settings...

deleting all the .kde stuff worked like a charm,, now I just have to remember my AIM password for kopete again hehe ; )
arkepp
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually.. it's enough to be running KDE and start the nautilus file manager (simply execute /usr/bin/nautilus ). Nautilus starts ok, but then tries to start another 20 or so instances of itself (which hang somehow, I can do it again if anyone is interested) and this will happen again the next time i log in (after "logging out" using ctrl+alt+backspace)...

Any opinions whether this should be filed as a bug? Maybe I'm just naive...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: