Gentoo 1.4_rc3 is out!!!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cpwins
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 4:58 pm    Post subject: Gentoo 1.4_rc3 is out!!! Reply with quote

Gentoo 1.4_rc3 is out!!!

Read about it on http://www.gentoo.org/. Let's burn that CD! :twisted:

In the x86 install instructions they even mention a release candidate 4, but I hope the next release will be final.

Quote:

Additionally, this release does not include GRP builds, this release is "lean" in general. The excluded features will be present in the 1.4_final release.

Does anybody know what features they want to add before releasing the final version? This would give a good estimate on when we might expect 1.4.
Sykus
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what exactly are the changes in rc3? just so i know 8)
carambola5
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ack! the agony of a bogged-down cable modem! Please get me my 47megs of gentooey goodness toute-de-suite!
jufoa
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is always good news :lol:
Koon
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Gentoo 1.4_rc3 is out!!! Reply with quote

cpwins wrote:
Does anybody know what features they want to add before releasing the final version? This would give a good estimate on when we might expect 1.4.

I think the "features" excluded from this release are just the arch-specific builds (LiveCDs and GRP for each platform).

-K
ozt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isn't there like a upgrade-howto?.
Or does the cmd emerge -u --deep world upgrade to rc3? That's what i've heard, is that correct?
darktux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ozt wrote:
Or does the cmd emerge -u --deep world upgrade to rc3? That's what i've heard, is that correct?

Yes.

emerge rsync && emerge -u world would suffice.

www.tuxslare.org - My reborn website :P
dev
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ozt wrote:

Version numbers only apply to the install cd's, and nothing else. You'll never have to reinstall gentoo, even when a install CD is released.
noff
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dev wrote:
ozt wrote:

Version numbers only apply to the install cd's, and nothing else. You'll never have to reinstall gentoo, even when a install CD is released.

This really seems to be a large source of confusion. I tend to think that there a lots of people who are downloading the iso right now to reinstall, when they have a perfectly good system. I guess it is a force of habit for people migrating from other systems.
What Larry was saying is that if you make it too easy for programmers, then poor programmers will be able to do things best left to good programmers, and will inevitably do them poorly. Everyone will suffer in the long term as a result." - Tom Chance
S_aIN_t
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was looking at some of the documentation when i discovered that 1.4_rc3 had been released. It really is good news. Gentoo is getting closer to 1.4 final.

i dont see a point in reinstalling. I upgraded from 1.2 to 1.4. Sure, it took a couple of days. It was a pain not having a computer to use. But the experience was worth it.

i am not upgrading till Gentoo 1.4 Final Release comes out. :D whenever that happens.
absence of grace."
- William Gibson, "All Tomorrow's Parties"
----
http://petro.tanreisoftware.com
zenon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that true with all linux distros?

ie:back in the day I installed redcrap 7.2, If I had "kept it going" would it now be a whatever-the-new-RH-release-is system, or is this part of the Gentoo magic?
Donovan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GentooMagic (tm)

:D
noff
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zenon wrote:

ie:back in the day I installed redcrap 7.2, If I had "kept it going" would it now be a whatever-the-new-RH-release-is system, or is this part of the Gentoo magic?

Redhat only supports distros for like a year, but there are horror stories of people being unable to get binaries for older versions on software.

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=36840&highlight=redhat Check out EvilTwinSkippy's post 3 down.
What Larry was saying is that if you make it too easy for programmers, then poor programmers will be able to do things best left to good programmers, and will inevitably do them poorly. Everyone will suffer in the long term as a result." - Tom Chance
gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noff wrote:
zenon wrote:

Redhat only supports distros for like a year, but there are horror stories of people being unable to get binaries for older versions on software.

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=36840&highlight=redhat Check out EvilTwinSkippy's post 3 down.

And you always have to upgrade red hat. not needing to upgrade is gentoomagic. I think i'll make that into a background
zenon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reserve the right to coin the phrase "Gentoo Magic" anyone here on in using said term must defer credit of said term to zenon... etc etc..;)

*WOW*, that's amazing noff i still had the slightest left-over fragment that Gentoo=desktop redcrap=server... Somehow I guess I had thought that it could somehow do that networking somehow better... But I guess in the end it's still all just the same apps running off the same kernel, the portage system just ups the ante to a system that actually *works*!

lol, Gentoo Magic... I love it! :)
That should be the slogan.:D

\/==My new sig

\Gen*too"\ (j[e^]n*t[=oo]"), n.; alt. Gentoos (-t[=oo]z") [Pg. users of a gentoo box.]. A robust, customizable, source based linux with helpful community and bloat-free speed. Also known to be Linux of future generations.

\Gen*too"-Ma*gic\ (j[e^]n*t[=oo]"-'ma-jik), n.; alt. none. Describing the revolutionary robust and easy to use nature of Gentoo Linux and the elation related with it. Not Having to upgrade is Gentoo Magic. See Also Gentoo... accept no substitute.

Last edited by zenon on Sat Mar 01, 2003 12:14 am; edited 1 time in total
zenon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gsfgf, can I keep the "Not Having to upgrade is Gentoo Magic" part in my new sig?
Can you also shoot me a PM re:that desktop when It's done?

Hmm, maybe that could be teamed with port's bubble icons and be the base "Gentoo Theme"? First introduced in 1.4's final release? How's that sound?8)
b-llwyd
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S_aIN_t wrote:

i am not upgrading till Gentoo 1.4 Final Release comes out. :D whenever that happens.

You say you already upgraded to 1.4rc? Just to make things clear - Reinstalling when 1.4 final comes will NOT add ANYTHING new to your system, if you've already kept yourself up-to-date with emerge -u world. But of course, if you're anything like me, you like installing gentoo. Differences between 1.4rc and 1.4final will only be in HOW you install your gentoo box, not WHAT is being installed.

Maybe you knew that already, then I stand here blushing...if not, well I hope you understood :)
Keyed
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I love about Gentoo I can keep my system current with the releases without burning CDs and mostly while I sleep without losing computer time. With the exception of KDE, which I am a little slower to upgrade. I am current with 1.4rc3 except QT and KDE.
Windows is not a virus: Viruses are well supported by their authors, are running on most systems, their program code is fast, compact and efficient and they tend to become more sophisticated as they mature.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: