libxml and xscreensaver
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
earlclick
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 7:15 pm    Post subject: libxml and xscreensaver Reply with quote

I recently did an emerge xscreensaver and I noticed that it compiled without XML descriptions. I tried downloading the sources and compiling it myself, but I still couldn't get the configure step to recognise the XML libs. Has anyone else had this problem?
earlclick
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 5:03 pm    Post subject: Found a fix... I think Reply with quote

I know... I know... It's kinda sad to have to reply to your own post on a problem, but in fixing this XML thing I learned a little about the .ebulid process. So I thought that I'd share.
When I originally did the emerge xscreensaver it compiled without XML descriptions. It only really bugged me because I have another RedHat 7.2 machine next to me that I use as my everyday machine and xscreensaver-demo has the XML functionality compiled in. I beat on this problem for days until I came up with this fix.
1) 'emerge libxml2' That loads the libxml libraries
2) 'ln -s /usr/include/libxml2/libxml/* /usr/include/libxml2/' - Yeah, I know this is ugly but the configure step in emerge xscreensaver will only look in /usr/include/libxml2 for the file xmlIO.h I'm open to any suggestions on a better fix.
3) Edit to xscreensaver.ebuild file to include the --with-xml flag on configure. Noooo, USE=xml won't work. I guess whoever made the ebuild file had the same problems I did and gave up on XML.
4) 'emerge xscreensaver' to compile the xscreensaver file
5) enjoy the xscreensaver-demo xml configuration goodness.

To be honest, I'm not sure who else to tell about this. It's not really a bug since xscreensaver works minus the XML stuff. You'd never really know if you didn't have the Redhat 7.2 version next to you to compare. So, if anyone has any suggestions, I'd be glad to hear it...
shade
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 7:55 pm    Post subject: xscreensaver and XML... Reply with quote

It seems to be missing xmlIO.h when it looks for it, I captured the emerge output with tee and this is what I found:
Code:

checking for xml2-config... /usr/bin/xml2-config
checking for XML includes... -I/usr/include/libxml2
checking for XML libs... -L/usr/lib -lxml2 -lz -lm
checking for xmlIO.h... no

I found that if I set the C_INCLUDE_PATH environmental variable to /usr/include/libxml2/libxml
i.e., in bash:
export C_INCLUDE_PATH=" /usr/include/libxml2/libxml"
on the command line then to the emerge it works fine. . .

Shade
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: