View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deffe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now is a good time to get this file since I have a fiber connection (10mb each way) to the net and will leave the torrent running for a few days.
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deffe wrote:
Now is a good time to get this file since I have a fiber connection (10mb each way) to the net and will leave the torrent running for a few days.

Thank you!!! :)

-c
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So as to help seperate issues, list bugs and fixes, and provide announcements etc, I have set up official forums for Kororaa here.
If you would like to, feel free to discuss Kororaa related issues there, or simply continue here in the Gentoo forums :)

Last edited by taskara on Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dlareh
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

taskara wrote:
I have set up official forums for Kororaa.
Lol, I think you went a little (read: hugely) overboard with the forum categories. More than 2 or 3 is completely unecessary at this point... you can make more if/when you need them.
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dlareh wrote:
taskara wrote:
I have set up official forums for Kororaa.
Lol, I think you went a little (read: hugely) overboard with the forum categories. More than 2 or 3 is completely unecessary at this point... you can more if/when you need them.

lol :) yes, we probably did!
Although, I guess we wanted to make it as seperated as possible and have it similar to Gentoo's forums as people would be more comfortable with the layout.

I'll have a look and see what we can trim ;) and you could post this here hehe :)

cheers
-c
Dlareh
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

taskara wrote:
I guess we wanted to make it as seperated as possible and have it similar to Gentoo's forums as people would be more comfortable with the layout.

I think you should make it as non-seperated as possible and have only sections for Kororaa-specific things.

People will very much want to come to here to discuss non-Kororaa topics with all Gentoo users.
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dlareh wrote:
taskara wrote:
I guess we wanted to make it as seperated as possible and have it similar to Gentoo's forums as people would be more comfortable with the layout.

I think you should make it as non-seperated as possible and have only sections for Kororaa-specific things.

People will very much want to come to here to discuss non-Kororaa topics with all Gentoo users.

Yes, of course. Good idea. I'll make some changes now.

Cheers
-c
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dlareh,

I have made some drastic changes as per your suggestion. Would you mind offering your opinion again?
Anything else that can go, and anything else that you think should probably be there.

Thanks for your opinion - you are right. The Kororaa forum is about Kororaa issues not Gentoo or general GNU/Linux issues, so for that users can come here.

Cheers,
Chris
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to coin3d, the ISO is now available for direct http download here.
The md5sum is here.

If you can download via bittorrent then that would be the preferred method, but if not, coin3d has kindly provided this link.

Thanks
-c
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have added a Poll here for people to give their opinion about what features they would most like to see in Kororaa, so let us know! :)

-c
Tiger
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I boot the CD and enter "genstall" at the prompt I get a bunch of "Invalid Instruction" errors which end in a segfault. I end up at a "Live CD#" prompt. Am I missing something in docs?
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger wrote:
If I boot the CD and enter "genstall" at the prompt I get a bunch of "Invalid Instruction" errors which end in a segfault. I end up at a "Live CD#" prompt. Am I missing something in docs?

Hi Tiger rowwr,
No, sounds like you've done it exactly correct. This is the first time I have come across this error, so could you please provide me with a bit of information?

When you boot the CD, do you see the little notice saying "to start, run genstall... you can run moon-buggy" etc?
ie, are you at the root shell?

Did you do an md5sum check on your ISO before burning it?

Do you have a p3 processor model Coppermine or later, that has sse instruction sets?
You could post the output of
Code:
cat /proc/cpuinfo

Cheers,
Chris
Tiger
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When you boot the CD, do you see the little notice saying "to start, run genstall... you can run moon-buggy" etc?
ie, are you at the root shell?

Yes to both.

Quote:

Did you do an md5sum check on your ISO before burning it?

Yes. I used K3b on my Kubuntu install the first time and it verified the md5sum.
I did download a second time on my windows drive and used Nero, just as a test, and that disk did the same thing.
I may try to get an iso without using bittorrent if that's possible.

Quote:
Do you have a p3 processor model Coppermine or later, that has sse instruction sets?

I'm trying to install on an Athlon T-bird, 1 Ghz, 768M, that should be compatible with PIII's.

I'm booted up in Winders at the moment but will do a cat /proc/cpuinfo when I get the Linux drive fired up.
I can't imagine that an Athlon T-bird would have trouble with the sse instruction set but I could be wrong.

Thanks.
Tiger
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's cat /proc/cpuinfo.

Code:
kstover@tiger:~$ sudo cat /proc/cpuinfo
Password:
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 6
model           : 4
model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) processor
stepping        : 2
cpu MHz         : 1002.788
cache size      : 256 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat p         se36 mmx fxsr syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow
bogomips        : 1986.56

taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Tiger,

You are right, Athlon should be fine to install.

I cannot see however, that it has sse in the instruction set

Quote:
fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat p se36 mmx fxsr syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow

Was that a typo / badly pasted copy, or is that actually what the output says?

Also, if k3b said the checksum was ok, then you should be right - however could you please run it from the command line and verify?
Code:
md5sum /path/to/kororaa.iso

It should be
Quote:
88de823a9831cda04897898511925c9d

Cheers,
Chris
Tiger
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Taskara.

The md5sum verified from the CLI.
The cut and paste is acurrate. Apparently original socket A Athlon-T-birds are incompatible with the sse instruction set. I have installed Gentoo on this machine "the hard way", successfully, a few times.

Thanks for your help.
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger wrote:
Hi Taskara.

The md5sum verified from the CLI.
The cut and paste is acurrate. Apparently original socket A Athlon-T-birds are incompatible with the sse instruction set. I have installed Gentoo on this machine "the hard way", successfully, a few times.

Thanks for your help.

Bummer! I am sorry about that :(
Thank you for letting me know.
And hey, if you get a chance to install Kororaa on a CPU with SSE, lemme know how you go.

:cry:

-c
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, three weeks after its release we have reached well over 300 downloads of Kororaa Beta1!

I hope this is indicitive of the need for Kororaa.
It looks like I will be continuing this project and currently looking to release a Gnome version (yes alright, YOU WIN!!) as well as an AMD64 version.

Thank you all for your support, and if you have any feedback whether good or bad please let us know!

Cheers,
Chris
RageX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great idea, and install worked like a charm. i have one suggestion, however. to make this install even better, perhaps offer an option to install a base (server) system, or a desktop system. just remove the kde/gnome + xorg, sound, and any other related lib's and packages from the server install and provide a basic working system. i think that would be just plain wonderful.

other than that, kudos to you for this work that has made my life much easier :)
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RageX wrote:
great idea, and install worked like a charm. i have one suggestion, however. to make this install even better, perhaps offer an option to install a base (server) system, or a desktop system. just remove the kde/gnome + xorg, sound, and any other related lib's and packages from the server install and provide a basic working system. i think that would be just plain wonderful.

other than that, kudos to you for this work that has made my life much easier :)

Thank you RageX :)

I am actually planning to have a server version, but in the next beta you should be able to choose your packages. This might help achieve what you're after, for now.

Cheers,
Chris
tristian
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The quickest and easyiest way to install Gentoo is: VidaLinux

It uses the anaconda installer (used by Redhat/Fedora). Also a few pre-compiled binaries.
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tristian wrote:
The quickest and easyiest way to install Gentoo is: VidaLinux

It uses the anaconda installer (used by Redhat/Fedora). Also a few pre-compiled binaries.

I'm well aware of Vidalinux (or VLOS as it is now called) :) but I don't think it is the easiest install nor the fastest.

The fastest and easiest way to install Gentoo is for one to extract their entire tarballed system in one go :P
(and then run grub!).

-c
wkethman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:05 am    Post subject: amd64 Reply with quote

is there an x86 install or an amd64 install for this yet?
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: amd64 Reply with quote

wkethman wrote:
is there an x86 install or an amd64 install for this yet?

Working on amd64 version atm. I have no plans for an x86 version, only >=p3.

Cheers,
Chris
RobNyc
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

am I the only one using .. Kororaa install method as it is ? using the same make.conf for celeron pc?

anyhow installation is easy :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: