Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Exci
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qnx wrote:
Hey! Why is everyone complaining about the redglass cursor so goddamn much?? I kinda like it! Much better then boring windows cursor (or the black imitation of windowscursor in X). Give it a go guys!
Or...it's about right theme on the whole desktop..I can understand the a red pointer just *doesn't* feet with all themes avalible for KDE/flux/GNOME...
Cheers!

if my dual display worked with it I would use whiteglass, redglas is REALLY ugly with the colors i use :P and i mean REALLY ugly
hakan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you really think that the windows cursors are nice? I don't think so. And I love the freedom of all the WM's aroung in the Linux-World. You can choose which to use, you can customize them (it's not easy, but you can do it). To get other desktops then the standard one (Win2k and WinXP too) you need to install tools, or you have to usr the nvidia drivers. Only one thing is missing to make me switch completly to linux: The killer application, or better, there are not enought companies developing for linux :((.

I didn't overwrite my XF86Config and i didn't modify it. After installing xfree 4.3 , I made etc-update and replaces all file with the update ones except XF86config. Then startx, and everything was fine ;-).
akb
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why shouldnt those cursors be good? dont know whats wrong with it. is it reality now that a linux user also hates such things like cursors or something, that are windows compliant? well... why do you use a window manager then? :roll:

i just think the cursors are good, the usability is good. why should i play with such things like cursors, if the usability is not the same?

i changed to linux because i wanted a better system. not because i wanted to fight windows-looking apps or icons and so on.

thats what i call linux fascism.

see... windows and windowsusers just dont get along with linux, but they dont really fight it. why should we do the other way round?

but, i think thats too OT. just wanted to do a statement on this, not to start a discussion.
sepp2k
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the whiteglass theme is quite nice, but the RedDot Thene from kde-look.org looks even cooler (even if not all cursors from this theme use transparency)
qnx
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

->hakan: I didn't say that I like Windows' cursor. I said I think they're boring, as well as the *very* similar (except that the colors are completly changed, like white=black) looking XFree86<4.2.99 default cursors.

->akb: No, I don't hate Windows, nor it's cursors. I just said they're very boring...
And I don't hate Windows just because I use Linux. All systems has they're "for" and "against" points, since I think Linux has more "for" I use it more often (or all the time at home, actually, at school I have no choice (except running Knoppix :D)).

Cheers,
Jacob
Registred Linux user #191143!
Abit NF7-S rev. 2.00 (BIOS v. 2.7)
AMD AthlonXP 2500+ (Barton)
PATA Seagate ST3120022A
SATA Seagate ST3200822AS & Silicon Image 3112 chipset
Gentoo Linux :)
hakan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, every operating system has it's "for" and "against". (I don't hate windows, but I hate microsoft because of their commercial strategies).

I choose to switch to linux because it is highly customizeable (Gentoo is my first dirsto which I really use). Some apps are only available for windows and some hardware drivers, too. So i can't use my nice epson printer yet (I will never buy an epson printer again, they're slow ;-)).

Ok, enough discussion about that.
akb
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

of course these cursors are "boring", but can you show me - no matter if win, linux, macos or anything else - a usable cursorset which is not boring? one which you want to keep for longer than a couple of days? send me a screenie or something :-)
hakan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's about switching the cursors every day :-).

We can start a new thread in the "Chat"-Forum: Whats your cursor like?

I am happy with xfree4.3 so far, but whats about the new nvidia driver? If I install them, switching between desktops is slow. Whats better in the new driver? More performance?
akb
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it supports gf4 and gf2go now. thats new. dont know if there's better performance.
btw: is there a big difference in speed between xfree-geforce-server and nvidias proprietary one?

@chat: lets start that... but i think there arent too many people who have different cursors
qnx
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wuddya mean with xfree-nvidia-server??? You mean using "nvidia" driver , instand of "nv" driver in XF86Config and
Code:
opengl-update nvidia
? Or did I miss something?? Is nVidia doing their own Xserver?!?!
PATA Seagate ST3120022A
qnx
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

akb wrote:
of course these cursors are "boring", but can you show me - no matter if win, linux, macos or anything else - a usable cursorset which is not boring? one which you want to keep for longer than a couple of days? send me a screenie or something :-)

Well, sure. I'll update this I guess, but so far, I'm happy with redglass cursorset and Aqua theme for Fluxbox :D I know it sound strange, but try it, it looks really nice :D
Cheers!
PATA Seagate ST3120022A
fruers
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KiTaSuMbA wrote:

1) I tried that already but I wasn't very observing yesterday night: It comes out that while X on its own follows that specification (and so do kde, waimea, whatever else), if I load gnome or just gnome-settings-daemon (which I do, since otherwise gtk2 apps with AA look ugly as hell) the pointer reverts to the original huge scale. Of course the gnome "control" refers to the old Xcursors so there is no - at least obvious - way to convince gnome to stay off the pointer's size. Once again, the gnome devs demonstrate their will to mess with the whole world and dog, go down under and reinvent the wheel. This is getting tiring. Any ideas?

There are two environment variables that will help, XCURSOR_SIZE and XCURSOR_THEME, set them system-wide in /etc/profile.d/10xfree and env-update or add them to the users .profile.

Quote:
2) The old cursors were supposed to be simple bitmaps if I understand correctly so it would not be a problem making your own. But on the new ones I get this:
Code:

file /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/icons/redglass/cursors/right_ptr
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/icons/redglass/cursors/right_ptr: GLS_BINARY_LSB_FIRST

Obviously you can't simply open it with an icon editor (or can you? Gimp fails...)

You have to generate the cursors from PNG using xcursorgen, the theme on kde-look.org has some doco to get you started, it would be pretty tedious work to do a whole cursor set though.
akb
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qnx wrote:
Wuddya mean with xfree-nvidia-server??? You mean using "nvidia" driver , instand of "nv" driver in XF86Config and
Code:
opengl-update nvidia
? Or did I miss something?? Is nVidia doing their own Xserver?!?!

Well... I still dont know where all this differences are. But IMHO there are two ways of running a GF card.
1. xfree provides an nvidia driver (xserver)
2. nvidia provides an driver kernel module

since i am near to still being a n00b i dont know the real difference. sorry *lol*
maybe you can explain this a bit :-)
darktux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xfree provides a Nvidia driver (nv)
Nvidia provides a driver for their cards to be used with XFree (nvidia)

www.tuxslare.org - My reborn website :P
akb
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well... wheres the difference except different driver code?
hakan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a GeForce4 and it works with nvidia 3* kernel module.

I will test the nv driver from xfree.
Snake007uk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im trying toinstall it and it jusr seems to stop at

*Creating FC font cache ??

its been over 10 mins now ??

i had tge same problem with xfree 4.2.99 and i left it over night that time

Dual AMD MP 2800+, Asus A7M266-D, 1GB Ram, 18.1GB u160 HD, ATI Radeon 9600 Pro, Creative Audigy ZS, Intel SRCU31A, Linksys NIC, iiyama 18.1 4637bk lcd
qnx
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

akb wrote:
well... wheres the difference except different driver code?

Well....Nowhere! :D Since nVidia makes the chip they also know everythign about it and therefore is nvidia driver better then the nv driver that comes with XFree86.
What I don't get is: why is XFree86 making a non-accelerated nv driver, when nVidia produces their official, accelerated driver - nvidia??
Or am I wrong?? Is nv-driver accelerated too??? Which one of these is better then??
(I have gForce2MX400 :lol: )
Cheers!
PATA Seagate ST3120022A
akb
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe they arent allowed to put it into their distribution. but i dont believe this, since a driver is a must-have and i think that nvidia is glad about every single card which is bought by a linux user.

the other thing could be: IMHO there are some twinview options in the in xfree contained driver, which are not included in the other one. but... why? think it would be the best if the xfree team took the faster one and put their own code into it, so you would have both.
darktux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the ones provided by Nvidia for the reasons you stated :wink:

www.tuxslare.org - My reborn website :P
akb
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when all facts are known, this should become a topic in the faq section i think :-) (differences between those 2 nvidia drivers)
tactless
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK, NVidia is reluctant to open the source code to their drivers, which is understandable as they may contain crucial code that may reveal information about how their cards work to business opponents. We shouldn't be complaining about that - at least we're getting a quality driver from the manufacturer. However, the features mentioned here would be nice, and we should talk to NVidia about it.

On a different note, the Xcursor framework is much cooler than the cursors themselves... we need to start getting more cursor sets. I'm sure that artists at Deviantart and such would have no problem letting us port cursors... I'm pretty sure that Xcursor supports animated cursors as well - can anyone verify this?

"If it wasn't for fog, the world would run at a really crappy framerate."

Jabber: tactless@amessage.info
akb
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, read about it. animated cursors are definitely possible.

@nvidia: yes, but i really would like to know if there really are feature differences. although i love to play hardware intensive games, i would prefer an other driver if its slower but had better features.

edit: here's a german article which lists most of the news about 4.3.0: http://www.pro-linux.de/news/2003/5271.html

edit2: from the xfree 4.3.0 release notes

Quote:

2.4. Client and Library Updates

* An Xcursor library providing support for alpha blended (ARGB) and animated cursors. Two Xcursor themes are provided (redglass and whiteglass), as well as the default "core" theme (the traditional cursors).
[/quote]

Last edited by akb on Mon Mar 03, 2003 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
tactless
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just noticed this: The "Working" icon (arrow with hourglass) in the Whiteglass theme is offset - the cursor is drawn too far to the left. How does the implementation for this work? Is a certain coordinate selected as the cursor's "point", as it is in Windows, or is the top left of the image considered to be the point? (In this case, you can't have left-handed or cross cursors)

"If it wasn't for fog, the world would run at a really crappy framerate."

Jabber: tactless@amessage.info
akb
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont know this... but i really would like to know how this is handled. seems that the cursors are really just converted png images, so how to define any spots there?

@your problem: i had this with my main pointer (arrow) yesterday too. couldnt hit the buttons in phoenix correctly. since it's okay today, i think there has to be re-initialized something to work properly after changing resolution (played with xrandr yesterday).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: