2 problems after install
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pr0vidence
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 2:46 am    Post subject: 2 problems after install Reply with quote

I have installed Gentoo on a somewhat older machine. Here's an idea of the machine.

Tyan Tomcat Dual, Dual processor motherboard with twin P200MMX
96MB Ram
4.3GB hard drive.

Things mostly went well, except for 2 things.

1) it seems DMA access is not supported on that board. It is turned on by default. I noticed while installing that when I mounted the CD-ROM it gave me a few DMA "drive not ready for command" messages (but seemed to work fine) I remedied that with "hdparm -d0 /dev/hda" and "hdparm -d0 /dev/hdd" That fixes it, but only temporarily, after rebooting, DMA is turned back on, each time it boots, it pauses for a few seconds, I get the following messages.

hda: timeout waiting for DMA
ide_dmaproc: chipset supported ide_dma_timeout func only: 14
had: status error: status:0x58 {DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest}
hda: Drive not ready for command

then it pauses again, gives me the same messages again, repeates the process a third time, and then goes about it's business loading everything else as though nothing were wrong. The question all that is leading up to is: how do I turn off DMA permanantly? OR is there something I can do to make DMA start working on this machine?

Whew, the second problem shouldn't be so lengthy :D

2) I followed installation procedures to the letter for installing grub. but after the reboot, the PC tells me that there is no bootable (active partition) drive on the system. I have had working bootable linux installations on this machine before, using both lilo AND grub (using RedHat) so I don't think it's a compatibililty thing. for now I boot off the gentoo boot CD and do "linux root=/dev/hda3" which works, but I would rather boot off the hard drive, any ideas?

Thanks all, I appreciate any and all help.
tkdack
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: 2 problems after install Reply with quote

pr0vidence wrote:
I have installed Gentoo on a somewhat older machine. Here's an idea of the machine.

Tyan Tomcat Dual, Dual processor motherboard with twin P200MMX
96MB Ram
4.3GB hard drive.

Things mostly went well, except for 2 things.

1) it seems DMA access is not supported on that board. It is turned on by default. I noticed while installing that when I mounted the CD-ROM it gave me a few DMA "drive not ready for command" messages (but seemed to work fine) I remedied that with "hdparm -d0 /dev/hda" and "hdparm -d0 /dev/hdd" That fixes it, but only temporarily, after rebooting, DMA is turned back on, each time it boots, it pauses for a few seconds, I get the following messages.

hda: timeout waiting for DMA
ide_dmaproc: chipset supported ide_dma_timeout func only: 14
had: status error: status:0x58 {DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest}
hda: Drive not ready for command

then it pauses again, gives me the same messages again, repeates the process a third time, and then goes about it's business loading everything else as though nothing were wrong. The question all that is leading up to is: how do I turn off DMA permanantly? OR is there something I can do to make DMA start working on this machine?

There should be some options to set in the kernel config to "enable dma by default"

If they don't work you can add you hdparm lines to /etc/conf.d/local.start and they will be run after all other init scripts, this won't stop the pauses, but at leat it will turn dma on.

pr0vidence wrote:
Whew, the second problem shouldn't be so lengthy :D

2) I followed installation procedures to the letter for installing grub. but after the reboot, the PC tells me that there is no bootable (active partition) drive on the system. I have had working bootable linux installations on this machine before, using both lilo AND grub (using RedHat) so I don't think it's a compatibililty thing. for now I boot off the gentoo boot CD and do "linux root=/dev/hda3" which works, but I would rather boot off the hard drive, any ideas?

Thanks all, I appreciate any and all help.

Hmmm ... grub can be a bit tricky to diagnose with out seeing how your partitions are setup, bes bet is to jump on IRC and see if someone there can help.

Former Gentoo contributor TaD
pr0vidence
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for the help.

My partitions are set up the same way as they are in the Installation procedure on the Gentoo web site.

/dev/hda1 /boot
/dev/hda2 SWAP
/dev/hda3 /

in grub I did
grub> root (hd0,0)
grub> setup (hd0)
grub> exit

If that helps at all.

I created a grub boot floppy. If I boot off the floppy and do.

grub> root (hd0,0)
grub> kernel /bzImage root=/dev/hda3
grub> boot

the machine boots like it should, that's not so bad, at least I'm using the right kernel. I just don't understand why it's not booting off the hard drive.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: