View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:56 pm    Post subject: New Binary Install Method for Gentoo - Kororaa 2005 Beta2 Reply with quote

14th Nov 05
In case anyone's out there listening in OTW land, I have released Kororaa Beta2!
Beta2 comes in 4 flavours, x86 KDE, AMD64 KDE, x86 Gnome and AMD64 Gnome.
It is probably best to visit the website and check it out if you are interested.

Hi All,

I would like to announce the release of a new binary install method for Gentoo Linux, called Kororaa.
With the Kororaa install method you should have Gentoo and a whole suite of applications up and running in an hour (hardware depending).
It is available for download via bittorrent.
The md5sum file is here.

I have set up a website at http://www.kororaa.org housing all the information about it.
Please feel free to visit and take a look! There you'll find goodies like screenshots and package info, etc.

There is also a little Howto also in the OTW section of the forums, here.

In general the Kororaa method is a pre-packaged and pre-configured binary build of Gentoo, I guess similar to VLOS (Vidalinux OS) - although Kororaa is not designed to replace Gentoo but to get you Gentoo.
VLOS also uses the Redhat installer and is Gnome based, while we wrote our own bash installer and as you may have guessed Kororaa is KDE based (but the Gororaa version brings Gnome to Kororaa).

Kororaa is designed for those not ready to tackle the standard Gentoo install method (although you can use our stage3, portage and packages with the standard Gentoo install), or who want an easily distributable pre-configured Gentoo install, and is:
optimised for pentium3 (as most people should have an sse capable processor) and now AMD64;
comes with a dialog based installer;
based on KDE 3.4.3 (with pertty patches!);
2.6.13 kernel (ck and gentoo based, inc reiser4);
GCC 3.4.4;
built using Bob P's Stage1/3 install method;
has a complete suite of applications, and;
is a lot of fun! :)

It is still beta, and we'd be more than happy to hear any feedback you may have.

We hope you enjoy :)
Chris

Last edited by taskara on Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:28 pm; edited 51 times in total
wescott
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! I took a look at the screenshots. Can you post your install script...I'm interested in how it's set up.
Gentoo Forum Member #43303

Yoda of Borg are we: Futile is resistance. Assimilate you, we will.
M4Master
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:52 am    Post subject: Pretty Kew! Reply with quote

Nice work...
Installed it on my Alienware Area 51-m 7700 and it's goin strong.

Had some issues tryin to install it first up then i realised that my hard drive was dead...lol

Quick question though... why must you have bluetooth automatically in the stardard X config? It's really quite depressing seeing it sitting there even tough i can't use it. Why not just let people install it later? I'm going to cry :)

Nice work Taskara!
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very nice! I've installed Gentoo normally 15+ times (among many other distros), and Vida Linux 3 times- this looks better than Vida, which had some annoying quirks when I got into morphing it into pure Gentoo/kde with emerge sync. I thought Vida would be an easy way to get a basic Gentoo system installed, and go from there, but it got to be so much trouble (new kernels, bootsplash problems, etc.) that I wound up wiping it and doing normal Gentoo installs on some boxes.

Anyway, to get to my questions:
I assume if I wanted to install Kororaa on a hard drive with winXP on hda1, and another linux distro on the other partitions, that the Kororaa installer steps shown in screenshots 02,03, and 04 will allow me to create and format new /boot, swap, and / partitions (wiping the old linux distro), but allow me NOT to format my existing /home partition, keeping all it's data intact. Is this correct, and when I get into the install, all this will be self-explanatory, and obvious?

Is the Kororaa installer based on an existing installer, or your own creation?
[edit]: Sorry- I forgot you mentioned this- your own bash installer.

Can you select which packages to install during the installation procedure?

Kororaa looks just like what I was looking for when I played around with Vida Linux. Some more detailed screenshots of the install process (especially the extensions of the 02, 03, and 04 screenshot steps) would be nice.
Gentoo ~x86, ~amd64, glibc-2.19, gcc-4.9.0, kernel 3.15.5-gentoo (USE=experimental "native")
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi wescott, sure. There are two scripts:
the initial installer here and
the setup here.

Hi M4Master,
I'm glad it all worked for you! :)
Re bluetooth, thanks - I might look to changing it so that bluetooth is only started / installed if an adapter is found.
For now, you could remove it from the default runlevel:
Code:
rc-update del bluetooth default
or even uninstall it:
Code:
emerge -Cav bluez-utils kdebluetooth

Cheers

Hi wrc1944,
Vida has a nice installer, naturally, as they use Anaconda - whereas ours is just plain dialog ;)
wrc1944 wrote:
I assume if I wanted to install Kororaa on a hard drive with winXP on hda1, and another linux distro on the other partitions, that the Kororaa installer steps shown in screenshots 02,03, and 04 will allow me to create and format new /boot, swap, and / partitions (wiping the old linux distro), but allow me NOT to format my existing /home partition, keeping all it's data intact. Is this correct, and when I get into the install, all this will be self-explanatory, and obvious?

Correct. The grub installer code should automatically detect your windows partition and add it to your grub menu - it currently does NOT detect other Linux distributions so this would have to be entered manually (although this wouldn't be an issue for you)
You can certainly delete your old linux partitions, create new ones and install Gentoo via Koroaa there - and yes you can save your /home. To do this:
1) naturally do not delete the partition ;)
2) assign a mountpoint /home
3) choose "NO filesystem - do not format"

This will mount /home for you and add it to fstab and will not format it, hence keeping your data intact - still we do recommend people backup ;)
HOWEVER, when you create a new user, we automatically setup the default KDE environment - this will overwrite some of your settings if you create the same user as you have on your /home dir (or point their home dir to the same location).
To avoid this, backup your /home dir, make a new user, then copy it back across.
Let me know if that doesn't make sence!
Alternatively, you could leave the home partition completely out of the picture in the installer and manually add it to fstab yourself once you've successfully installed.

You should also be able to do an emerge --sync and you'll have a current portage snapshot and can use it like a normal Gentoo install (the one with the install is the Gentoo 2005.1 snapshot).
Keep in mind however, there are a number of custom packages under the portage overlay that might override something you wanna install from normal portage.
Use emerge -av and it will tell you :)

Currently you cannot select what packages you want, however this is something we are intending on doing for a final release.
But we have a very carefully selected range of packages so there are generally no options between packages (except firefox / konqueror, kmail / thunderbird).
The packge chooser though would allow people to not install any pariticular packages they don't want, like the gimp or what not.

We also have an install guide coming :) it's not not here yet!! but soooon ;)

I'll see if I can put up a detailed screenshot section for you. I'll just have to find the time ;)

-c
wescott
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

taskara wrote:
Hi wescott, sure. There are two scripts:
the initial installer here and
the setup here.

Thank you so much! I'm sure these will be just what I was looking for! If you need a web developer, let me know (you could send me a private message).
Gentoo Forum Member #43303

Yoda of Borg are we: Futile is resistance. Assimilate you, we will.
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

taskara,
Great job! I ran through the Kororaa install on a dual-boot winXP/Kanotix box with no issues, replacing all the Kanotix partitions with your installer. Took about an hour on and Abit KX7/athlon-xp 1700Mhz/512MB PC2700 ram system.

I must say your installer functioned perfectly on this box, configuring everything (including X, grub, and network). I opted for leaving out my /home partition on the install, and did the fstab edit afterwards. Anyway, I think your dialog installer is just as functional as Anaconda- in fact, I found I prefer it over Anaconda.

The only hiccup I had was at first when I was repartitioning with cfdisk, and got an error about "partition ending on final cylinder." I resolved this with fdisk- it had nothing to do with your installer- probably just my hard disk being set up weird. I had run into this before with this same disk, so it was no big deal.

I rebooted into a normal kde/X environment first try, configured kde to my liking, edited make.conf for athlon-xp and ~x86, tweaked locales.build and USE flags, and did an emerge sync. I'm now in the middle of emerge -uD system, looking good so far.

I'm confident Kororaa will be quite successful in introducing more linux users to Gentoo. It's hard to see how it could be much easier to get a functional Gentoo system up and running.

Thanks for the detailed post answering my questions.
Gentoo ~x86, ~amd64, glibc-2.19, gcc-4.9.0, kernel 3.15.5-gentoo (USE=experimental "native")
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick comment. In order to emerge kedit (it isn't in the default Kororaa install, and I use it a lot!), I had to drop your default LDFLAGS a tad, as shown here, to what I normally use on my ~x86 installs.

LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--enable-new-dtags -Wl,--sort-common -s"
TO:
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1"

AND,
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -fvisibility-inlines-hidden -Wl,-O1"
TO:
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -fvisibility-inlines-hidden"

From your gensetup script, I figured you used the kde split ebuilds to build with, so I tried:

emerge kedit

and after changing the flags, it worked fine, and appears in the K menu. I seem to recall reading on the forum that --enable-new-dtags -Wl,--sort-common -s were still problematic. In this case, that proved true. I'm thinking this might also be required on any re-merges or updates of any other kde packages. Is adding -Wl,-O1 to CXXFLAGS actually correct?

I did get through a complete ~x86 emerge -uD system with your default LDFLAGS OK- no problems.
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again wrc1944,

Thanks for the feedback. That's the first package "I've" had trouble with while using those CFLAGS.

I would like to know how the current CFLAGS etc go - it they are too unstable or what not I will turn them down fr the final release, however I found them very stable.

In the end I may end up being a good boy an building the entire CD with just -O2 ;)

RE kedit, what's wrong with kate! ;) I love kate, she's the most beautiful gui test editor in the world :roll:

and yep I used the split ebuild kde system

and wow you did a full ~x86 update! :) you might have to re-install Gentoo using the Kororaa cd again soon! hehe ;)

thanks again
timonator
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you might be interested in this for your installer with the emerge part:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=197646

its not 1000% functional, but should work.
add a nice progress bar or so and voila ;)
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi timonator,

Thanks for your idea. I will certainly look into this for our next release :)
I guess one thing is that our packages are binary and not manually compiled during the install. As such I'll have to check that it works across multiple emerges, not just individual source builds.

Thanks a lot!

-c
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

taskara,
I'm having problems emerging kde-base (kdelibs went OK after I removed some LDFLAGS).

Kept getting things like:
-avoid-version -L/usr/kde/3.5/lib -L/usr/qt/3/lib -L/usr/lib -no-undefined -Wl,--no-undefined -Wl,--allow-shlib-undefined kwin_rules_dialog_dummy.lo libkdeinit_kwin_rules_dialog.la
collect2: ld terminated with signal 11 [Segmentation fault]

so I figured "ld" was causing problems. I'm presently trying kde-base again, with ALL LDFLAGS removed. It's still going (1 hour)- this is the farthest I've gotten on kde-base so far, so maybe no LDFLAGS is the ticket- I'll let you know.

Keep in mind this is an ~x86 system, with these cflags:
CFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -pipe -O3 -fweb -frename-registers -fprefetch-loop-arrays -ffast-math -momit-leaf-frame-pointer -fomit-frame-pointer -ftracer -falign-functions=64"

------------------------------------------------------------------------
These are my usual set- I've used these ever since gcc-3.4, with virtually no problems.

kde-base 3.5_alpha1 still compiling- must be getting close-OK!- kde-base just compiled successfully. No LDFLAGS set did the trick. They are probably problematic with kde-3.4.2 also, but what's weird is I have LDFLAGS on my other boxes, and everything compiled OK with the monolithic 3.4.2 ebuilds. Maybe it's just with the split ebuilds?

I am emerging kde-3.5_alpha as monolithic right now. WOW! One thing I just noticed! kdeadmin-3.5_alpha1 only took 10 minutes to compile, and kde-base about 65 minutes. That's about half the time the 3.4.2 packages always take on this box, with the same gcc-3.4.4 compiler.

Forgot to mention- I got through my ~x86 emerge -uD world earlier today. Went OK- only had problems on 6 of 158 packages when I did revdep-rebuild. Still sorting that out, but my new Kororaa system is working perfectly so far recompiled/updated to ~x86 with agressive flags, so I'm not complaining about a few revdep-rebuild inconsistences. :P
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrc1944 wrote:
taskara,
I'm having problems emerging kde-base (kdelibs went OK after I removed some LDFLAGS).

Kept getting things like:
-avoid-version -L/usr/kde/3.5/lib -L/usr/qt/3/lib -L/usr/lib -no-undefined -Wl,--no-undefined -Wl,--allow-shlib-undefined kwin_rules_dialog_dummy.lo libkdeinit_kwin_rules_dialog.la
collect2: ld terminated with signal 11 [Segmentation fault]

so I figured "ld" was causing problems. I'm presently trying kde-base again, with ALL LDFLAGS removed. It's still going (1 hour)- this is the farthest I've gotten on kde-base so far, so maybe no LDFLAGS is the ticket- I'll let you know.

Keep in mind this is an ~x86 system, with these cflags:
CFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -pipe -O3 -fweb -frename-registers -fprefetch-loop-arrays -ffast-math -momit-leaf-frame-pointer -fomit-frame-pointer -ftracer -falign-functions=64"

------------------------------------------------------------------------
These are my usual set- I've used these ever since gcc-3.4, with virtually no problems.

kde-base 3.5_alpha1 still compiling- must be getting close-OK!- kde-base just compiled successfully. No LDFLAGS set did the trick. They are probably problematic with kde-3.4.2 also, but what's weird is I have LDFLAGS on my other boxes, and everything compiled OK with the monolithic 3.4.2 ebuilds. Maybe it's just with the split ebuilds?

I am emerging kde-3.5_alpha as monolithic right now. WOW! One thing I just noticed! kdeadmin-3.5_alpha1 only took 10 minutes to compile, and kde-base about 65 minutes. That's about half the time the 3.4.2 packages always take on this box, with the same gcc-3.4.4 compiler.

Forgot to mention- I got through my ~x86 emerge -uD world earlier today. Went OK- only had problems on 6 of 158 packages when I did revdep-rebuild. Still sorting that out, but my new Kororaa system is working perfectly so far recompiled/updated to ~x86 with agressive flags, so I'm not complaining about a few revdep-rebuild inconsistences. :P

After completely changing taskara's install, i don't see why you would post issues for him to work out for you. /etc/portage/package.unmsk and /etc/portage/package.keywords are great tools to help enhance stability when you want to have some unstable packages. Those ppl who use "~x86" should only be developers and those who like to break stuff constantly.
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was under the impression taskara wanted feedback on Kororaa installs, so since I was testing it on an athlon-xp box, I was offering some. Since Kororaa is "jackass" based, and that's cutting edge stuff, I figured ~x86 stuff would still be relevant, and welcomed. Just because it's got the installer doesn't necessarily mean it's just for noobs. Plus, if you're using a "jackass" type system, you probably either are, or might be going ~x86 at some point anyway.

I never expected taskara to "work things out" for me, and that's certainly not the reason I posted. I just really appreciated the Kororaa project. I've run lots of ~x86 systems since I started using Gentoo over 2 years ago- in fact ~x86 is all I've ever used, with very few minor problems, and no "breakage." If you make it known you're ~x86 in your post, people can respond, or not, as they wish. I'd still like to see an "~x86 only" forum, as was talked about a while back.

I guess taskara will tell me not to post anymore feedback as I'm ~x86 if he wishes, and of course I'll certainly respect that. However, AFAIK, this is still the case:

tascara wrote:
Quote:

Hi again wrc1944,
Thanks for the feedback. That's the first package "I've" had trouble with while using those CFLAGS.......

taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks wrc1944 for your feedback and testing - I do appreciate it.
However, vipernicus does have a point in that turning your system into entirely non-kororaa based packages, basically takes kororaa out of the picture. The only thing from Kororaa that would influence your system would be the make.conf - which you modified anyhow. So in effect, your kororaa install has become your own custom Gentoo install - this is exactly what Kororaa is about! however I can't really help you with issues like kde 3.5 alpha not building on your system ;)

So while I can use information such as "standard ebuilds don't compile with the default Kororaa useflags", the fact that an alpha application like KDE 3.5 is broken doesn't really help me. Does that make sense?

Also, Kororaa is not designed for ~x86, and neither is the Jackass! method. The Jackass! method is a way of re-compiling your base system a different way so the toolchain is built from your current GCC and etc. (although from time to time a particular package may be ~x86, as vipernicus mentions).

So thank you both for your responses.
In short, vipernicus is correct in that I can't do much with a Kororaa system that's been entirely changed to the non-default packages.
However I do appreciate your feedback, wrc1944, with packages that aren't compiling with the default Kororaa setup, etc.

Kororaa is a tool to help you get Gentoo installed - you are then free to take it from there and do whatever you want, but you're kinda on your own! (because you become like a standard Gentoo install) ;)
Hope this makes sense!

P.S - thanks also for the redep issues - I have chased them down to kdebluetooth package. This is great feedback as I can ensure I fix this in the next version. Cheers.

-c
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

taskara wrote

Quote:
So while I can use information such as "standard ebuilds don't compile with the default Kororaa useflags", the fact that an alpha application like KDE 3.5 is broken doesn't really help me. Does that make sense?

Absolutlely- makes perfect sense!

Sorry- I was trying to do two things at the same time (the kde-3.5 install thread,and kororaa). And yes, vipernicus's point is of course correct. Even at 60 years old, I still tend to get overly enthusiatic about new projects! I hope I haven't been too much of a distraction.

For what it's worth, I'm posting from the modified ~x86 Kororaa install, with the agressive cflags, booted to kde 3.5 for hours, and no issues yet.
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, wrc1944 :)

-c
Gripp
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome!
soon as my super slow DL finished :( i'll be given this one a spin :)

doesn't seem to be getting the attention it should though...
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gripp, thanks for your reply. Let us know what you think of it!

-c
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: Sept 18th 05 - OK, looks like I've found the source of the reiser4 bug - reiser4progs.

I have updated reiser4progs and libaal to versions 1.0.5 (released on the 12th Sept) on my default Kororaa install and the fsck.reiser4 corruption errors have dissapeared.

If you want to use reiser4, you should be able to safely now, but NOT in the installer - use it after the install and just update to the latest versions of the above.

I will include the fix in beta2. Thanks again.

Update: Sept 13th 05 - Looks like there is a bug in reiser4 support.
If you run fsck.reiser4 on any reiser4 partition (even one freshly formatted) it returns plugin errors.

I am not sure as to the extent of this error, as yet. Will it kill your data? Perhaps.

For now I suggest you use reiserfs as the filesystem for your main drives.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

If you already have reiser4 partitions, perhaps you can copy your data off, format reiserfs, copy your data back and edit your fstab to say "reiserfs" rather than "reiser4".

Thanks.
-c

Last edited by taskara on Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:40 am; edited 2 times in total
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we have reached 50 downloads of Kororaa Beta 1 ISO!

Hopefully soon we'll hear some more feedback ;)

-c
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, looks like I've found the source of the reiser4 bug - reiser4progs.

I have updated reiser4progs and libaal to versions 1.0.5 on my default Kororaa install and the fsck.reiser4 corruption errors have dissapeared.

If you want to use reiser4, you should be able to safely now, but NOT in the installer - use it after the install and just update to the latest versions of the above.

I will include the fix in beta2. Thanks again.
Gryphin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Install seems to go flawlessly but when it gets to where the bootloader should be I see nothing but a whole screen of 99999's.
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gryphin wrote:
The Install seems to go flawlessly but when it gets to where the bootloader should be I see nothing but a whole screen of 99999's.

Hi Gryphin, thanks for your feedback.

Is this when you are booting to the installed system, or during the installer?
Where did you say to install the bootloader? (unless you have another bootloader on your system you need to install it to the MBR, usually hd0).

-c
Gryphin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

During booting to the installed system, Though I'm not sure if grub was being installed on the MBR on hd0... If it wasn't then this could just be a hard drive issue. my old 15gig test hard drive has some odd issue of not having 1024 cylinders. Not sure how to fix that. But I am going to give it a shot on a differnt hard drive this time. Hopefully that migh resolve the issue.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: