LCD turn into standby mode with nvidia driver
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A7XQ
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:01 am    Post subject: LCD turn into standby mode with nvidia driver Reply with quote

I have a strange issue using Nvidia drivers on my laptop. It was working well some time ago, but since a month or so, it's impossible to get a display.

The X seems to load but then, the LCD turn into "standby" mode (like it does when your console goes to sleep). The strange part is that it works if I use a "real" desktop screen instead of the laptop LCD (using the VGA output), so it is like the LCD is out of sync, if such a thing is possible. There is nothing very clear in log, but once the NVIDIA driver is loaded, my dmesg log goes like :
NVRM: loading NVIDIA Linux x86 NVIDIA Kernel Module 1.0-8178 Wed Dec 14 16:22:51 PST 2005
NVRM: PAT index 1 already configured for Write-Combining!
NVRM : Aborting, due to PAT already being configured

then it fill up endlessly with lines like :
NVRM: memory caching type 0x2 not supported for memory space 0!
NVRM: memory caching type 0x2 not supported for memory space 3!
NVRM: memory caching type 0x2 not supported for memory space 3!

Quite obscure to me. There is nothing relevant in my Xorg logfile, everything seems to be fine in there. Googling this didn't get me anything good.

Right now I'm running kernel "2.6.14-suspend-r7" (emerged with "emerge suspend2-sources") but the problem occurs with any kernel I tried (tried, so far, 2.6.12-gentoo-r10, 2.6.13-gentoo-r1). It was working fine with 2.6.12, so I doubt it has something to do with the kernel.

I tried the following :
- Other kernel version
- To reinstall nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx
- A fresh reinstall
- Beta nvidia drivers or older nvidia drivers (right now, I'm with 1.0-8178
Nothing seems to work.

As I said, everything is fine if I use a desktop screen instead of LCD. I suspect this to be caused by some broken libs somewhere but I have no clue what it could be. I am sometime using the "vesa" drivers (because nvidia drivers fail to suspend) and sadly I was using it when an update broke something so I can't say when the breakage occurs or what update made all this mess.

Here is a list of the hardware I am using
- Toshiba Tecra M3
- Pentium-M 1.73 Ghz
- NVIDIA 6200TE 64MB

Please note that I am using gcc-3.4.4 and my system is optimized using the (beta) march=pentium-m flag. I don't know if this have anything to do with the trouble, but I doubt so, since it was working well before.

I don't include any output of file, as I don't know what would be useful here. If you need something, just ask.
Thanks
badchien
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure you have the timing/refresh rates for your monitor specified correctly in your xorg.conf and that you are using a resolution that the monitor supports? If I specify a value outside of my lcd monitor's capability it behaves in the same way you have described. Since the CRT works fine, this could be it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: