View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigBaaadBob
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: DVD "DriveReady SeekComplete Error" Reply with quote

Quite a number of us are having problems using the DVD drives on our laptops with Gentoo. In many cases, the drive works fine when running WinXP.

This particular thread is for folks are seeking a solution to this problem and who have both of the following symptoms:
    Encounter "DriveReady SeekComplete Error" in their log when using a DVD media player.
    Encounter very slow (i.e. 1.0X or slower) sound ripping from the drive.
Many people only notice the DVD reading problem when they see errormessages from the media player like this:
Code:
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_03_0.VOB at 0x0036e2ca
libdvdread: Error cracking CSS key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_03_0.VOB (0x0036e2ca)

If you see this, check your system log for messages like this:
Code:
Sep  4 14:01:33 wideload hdb: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Sep  4 14:01:33 wideload hdb: command error: error=0x50 { LastFailedSense=0x05 }
Sep  4 14:01:33 wideload ide: failed opcode was: unknown
Sep  4 14:01:33 wideload end_request: I/O error, dev hdb, sector 14388008

If you have this problem you will not be able to play the DVD with any Linux player. All of them will exhibit similar symptoms! If your problem goes away when you switch players you are looking at the wrong thread! ;-)

Then attempt to run a CD ripping program and see if you also get very slow ripping (like 1.0X).

This thread is only for folks who have both symptoms.

In my particular case I'm using gentoo-sources-2.6.12-r9 and have an ICH6 chipset and a MATSHITA UJ-840D drive connected as /dev/hdb. I have DMA enabled and CONFIG_IDE_TASK_IOCTL=y.

There are a number of threads where this problem shows up. Some of them are marked [SOLVED] with later posts stating that the solution didn't work for other folks. Obviously, none of the solutions have worked for me.

I filed a bug on this but the bug folks don't agree with me on that designation. Looks like we are on our own.

If you have this problem please post your kernel version, chipset, and drive type and anything else that might help, especially a solution. Also, it might help if you can point other threads back here (and maybe point to those other threads) so we can consolidate the information about this problem.
move
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both problems but it definitely depends on a poor quality/failing drive. If another os works fine, it may be due to bad dma settings.

It can also be a driver problem, in which case you should try a vanilla kernel and, if it works, this is a gentoo-specific problem, otherwise you'd better file the bug to kernel.org.

If it fails with windows too, definitely a drive/support problem.
pranyi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem with config-2.6.12-gentoo-r6

My drive is: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4163B

Host bridge: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon 9100 IGP Host Bridge (rev 02)
IDE interface: ATI Technologies Inc ATI Dual Channel Bus Master PCI IDE Controller

ide-disk version 1.18
ide-cdrom version 4.61
ShadowFlyP
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same problem...

Kernel : 2.6.12-gentoo-r6
Hardware: T43 laptop.
IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801FBM (ICH6M) SATA Controller
DVD drive is a Panasonic CD-RW/DVD+-RW of some sort.

I tried using region set and now I can watch previews only with mplayer only...
dan2003
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This cant be the same issue harassing me surely?

I have been able to watch dvd on my amd64 fine for months, all of a sudden it started exhibiting behavior where by playback would stop half through a film, sometimes it could be restarted and a bit more would play but then stop again, other time sit would persistently refuse to play past a given point. I then resort to watching the rest of the film on my laptop which is a 32bit XP2000, which would play the film fine.

I decided the drive had failed and couldn't read the second layer or something and purchased 2 x LG DVDRAM GSA-4163B. These are both exhibiting problems from brand new, but as i have since found loads of reports saying they fail after only light usage presume i have to crap drives.

I have plugged both into my laptop via usb-ide adapter and they exhibit the same behavior whereby they play for a while and then give a seek error at which point playback stops.

Yet the drive built in to my laptop can play the same disks fine.

I'm running

Kernel 2.6.12-morph6

lspci

[list=]scotland dan # lspci
0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: ATI Technologies Inc AGP Bridge [IGP 320M] (rev 13)
0000:00:01.0 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc PCI Bridge [IGP 320M] (rev 01)
0000:00:02.0 USB Controller: ALi Corporation USB 1.1 Controller (rev 03)
0000:00:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: ALi Corporation M5451 PCI AC-Link Controller Audio Device (rev 02)
0000:00:07.0 ISA bridge: ALi Corporation M1533 PCI to ISA Bridge [Aladdin IV]
0000:00:08.0 Modem: ALi Corporation M5457 AC'97 Modem Controller
0000:00:0a.0 CardBus bridge: O2 Micro, Inc. OZ6933 Cardbus Controller (rev 01)
0000:00:0a.1 CardBus bridge: O2 Micro, Inc. OZ6933 Cardbus Controller (rev 01)
0000:00:0c.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments TSB43AB21 IEEE-1394a-2000 Controller (PHY/Link)
0000:00:10.0 IDE interface: ALi Corporation M5229 IDE (rev c4)
0000:00:11.0 Bridge: ALi Corporation M7101 Power Management Controller [PMU]
0000:00:12.0 Ethernet controller: National Semiconductor Corporation DP83815 (MacPhyter) Ethernet Controller
0000:01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility U1
0000:02:00.0 Network controller: Texas Instruments ACX 111 54Mbps Wireless Interface
[/list]

dmesg entry when attached to usb
[list=]scsi7 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
usb-storage: device found at 20
usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
Vendor: HL-DT-ST Model: DVDRAM GSA-4163B Rev: A104
Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 00
sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 62x/62x writer dvd-ram cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi7, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
usb-storage: device scan complete
SCSI error : <7 0 0 0> return code = 0x8000002
sr0: Current: sense key=0x0
ASC=0x0 ASCQ=0x0
end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 10424648
printk: 416 messages suppressed.
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 2606162
[/list]

I'm inclined to think that this is just crap hardware causing headaches but if anybody else thinks otherwise and would like to know any more info plz ask.

I fogot to mention, some times the drives will refuse to play the disc at all, and some times when they do this produce the error regarding the css key.
behd
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

got the same problem as all of you... only solution that I found was to revert to the old method (NB. as in 2.4 kernel series):

use SCSI drivers (sr_mod) instead of ATAPI drivers (ide_cd).

What to do then:

- change your lilo.conf and add a line to your image section:
Code:
append = "hdc=ide-scsi"

- recompile your kernel with:
Device Drivers \ ATA/ATAPI/etc Support \
* SCSI emulation support
Device Drivers \ SCSI device support \
* SCSI device support
* SCSI CDROM support
* SCSI generic support

- change your /etc/modules.autoload/kernel-2.6
remove "ide_cd"
add "ide_scsi"

Hope this helps...
lotw
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For ripping concerns, it could be due to new copy protection on some DVDs. There is a newer set of CSS encyption that no Linux ripping software can do. The last version of the Windows DVDDecrypter added support for that new scheme before he stopped supporting that software.
dan2003
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my case the drives are appearing as a scsi device anyway, yet the problem is still apparent.. It seems i am suffering from faulty hardware whereas some of you maybe experiencing a software issue. I am still however unsure, and not ready to RMA the hardware quite yet. IT does seem to me that the hardware is the most probable cause of failure in my situation however.

If anybody can suggest any test to produce a firm conclusive result please feel free :).

I am contemplating removing the dvd drive from the laptop to confirm it does not suffer similar problems whilst connected via the usb interface.
BigBaaadBob
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dan2003 wrote:

If anybody can suggest any test to produce a firm conclusive result please feel free :).

It certainly isn't "conclusive" but in my case the hardware works fine when I run WinXP.
lotw
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigBaaadBob wrote:
dan2003 wrote:

It certainly isn't "conclusive" but in my case the hardware works fine when I run WinXP.

That could mean that you have a bad and/or incorrect driver on the Linux side.
dan2003
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

will dvd players in winxp be able to play dvds from a usb connected dvd drive? this would be the only test i can conduct in this regard as i have winxp on the laptop only. could then test it in both os on the exact same hardware configuration.
dan2003
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I let it play until it died in xine, then did it again just to be sure (wondering of the issue could be related to temperature at all).
I then tried in windvd4 but its very choppy from the start, (un-watchable, where as it plays fine (smoothly) until it dies in xine). Then after a while it gets even worse (about 1 frame per second). I Assume (i don't think there is anyway knowing for sure wots going on in windows is there??) its getting errors and retrying whereas libdvdread must just give up on the first error.

In anycase it would seem to be crap hardware as i suspected.

Edit : I couldnt carry out the test using the laptop dvd drive on my desktop machine as it has some weird conector rather than the standar 2.5" ide one.
dan2003
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now i've thrown a spanner in the works wmp plays a dvd, again its jumpy and sometimeslocks and freezes completly needing a power cycle to be able to do anything but this i assume is bad usage of the limited bandwidth of the usb connection.

Trying again in xine and its still dieing regularly. So i am again unsure whats happening.

I'm gonna try a new kernel and look for any updates to libdvdcss etc.
loony
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigBaaadBob wrote:

Robert,

have you tried this one?

loony
shredluc
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been researching this for over a year now, since i got my Matshita drive. I have never gotten it to play a dvd, and that is the only thing wrong with it. I can mount any dvd or cd, play cd's write cd's, write and read dvd's but the only thing failing is playing a dvd. In any version of windows, it always works. I have no answers, but it is good to hear others are having the same issue. Maybe SOMEBODY with enough ide driver experience will look into it someday, but till then we might have to live with broken software.
}else{
return 0;
}
Religion is a crutch, but that's okay... humanity is a cripple.
djhel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: A solution that worked for me Reply with quote

I had the same symptoms as mentioned here, and tried a number of great ideas suggested by people on this forum. Unfortunately none worked very well for me. I have recomplied libdvdread, libdvdcss, libdvdnav and xine-lib, removed the ~/.xine and ~/.dvdcss configuration directories and tried mplayer and XINE, but still no joy.

It was a strange problem since I have had DVD video playback working for some time, and then it didn't work all of a sudden (of course I only noticed months later after numerous kernel and libdvdcss/libdvdread... updates).

Eventually I found that I was able to get playback working again in XINE by doing a few things. Firstly I used regionset to check my drive was set to the correct region. This may or may not be necessary, so you could possibly get by without this step.

I then fired up XINE and went into the configuration pages. Set the GUI->Configuration Experience level higher (to Expert for example). Then head over to the media tab. Ensure all the basic settings seem right (i.e. the DVD device and region). Finally, set the CSS decryption method to be "title".

After these changes I finally got the (CSS encrypted) Matrix to start and play just fine. I hope this may help a few who are suffering similar problems.
PaulBredbury
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the kernel option: CONFIG_IDEDISK_MULTI_MODE
Quote:
If you get this error, try to say Y here:

hda: set_multmode: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hda: set_multmode: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }

If in doubt, say N.
R!tman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... same problem here. On T43p.

btw, I can play some but few (and only old) dvds.
xavior2180
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having a similar problem on a Toshiba Satellite M55-S329

I can play older dvds and read cdroms without any problems. Newer dvds cause the read errors mentioned above and makes ripping impossible. I can play those same dvds on my desktop computer without any problems. I'm very confident the problem is related to the drive in the laptop.
Silenzium
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar problem here:
Grip showed me a ripping-speed of 0,0x and some DVDs can't be played, but older ones work.

Some examples:
Playable DVDs: City of God
Nonplayable DVDs: Matrix Revolutions, Star Wars Episode III (Both copy protected)

Hardware: HP Compaq nx8220
DVD-Drive: Matshita UJ-822Da
IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) IDE Controller (rev 03)
R!tman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silenzium wrote:

Some examples:
Playable DVDs: City of God
Nonplayable DVDs: Matrix Revolutions, Star Wars Episode III (Both copy protected)

All Matrix and Star Wars (I haven't tried the first releases of ep 4-6 though, only the latest remastered) DVDs don't play on mine. So far, the only one I got working was House of the Flying Daggers.

I haven't tried myself yet, but maybe there is a solution here through a firmware upgrade.

EDIT: FYI, this is my drive:
Code:
$ dmesg | grep hdc
hdc: MATSHITADVD-RAM UJ-822S, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hdc: ATAPI 24X DVD-ROM DVD-R-RAM CD-R/RW drive, 2048kB Cache
Silenzium
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expanding the list, at least for my hardware:

CP = Copy protected

Some examples:
Playable DVDs: City of God (God's Town)
Nonplayable DVDs: Matrix Revolutions (CP), Star Wars Episode I, Star Wars Episode II, Star Wars Episode III (CP), The Rock SE (Shows something for a second in mplayer, then quits), Miss Congeniality, What Women Want

City of God ist the only working DVD...why??? I first thought this is a problem my single- and double-layer DVDs, but the first disc of that movie is type 9, the second one type 5 (says the box) and both are playable.
Addendum: Looks like the DVD doesn't use CSS. The media player says "libdvdread: Get key for ..." but it makes an empty dir with the name "DVDVOLUME-0000000000000000".

The mediaplayers (xine, (g)mplayer and vlc) give different errors with each DVD, but in most cases libdvdread cracks all keys correctly but ONE.

Another example: On the What Women Want-DVD I'm able to start VIDEO_TS.VOB "by hand", but with VTS_01_2.VOB for example, VLC spams me with "[00000275] access_file access error: read failed (Input-/Outputerror)".

This sucks, they are original DVDs... :x

R!tman wrote:
I haven't tried myself yet, but maybe there is a solution here through a firmware upgrade.

EDIT: FYI, this is my drive:
Code:
$ dmesg | grep hdc
hdc: MATSHITADVD-RAM UJ-822S, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hdc: ATAPI 24X DVD-ROM DVD-R-RAM CD-R/RW drive, 2048kB Cache

My UJ-822Da is not in the list. :(
R!tman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Silenzium: Try to set your region. Use 'regionset' from portage.

With that, you can most probably play dvds of the region you set. I am still looking for a "proper" :-) firmware upgrade, but this helps at least for the most dvds I watch.

BTW, my drive IS listed on the page I posted, but it is just listed, you cannot download anything for it... :-(
xavior2180
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whatever the problem is, it definitely seems related to the hardware, or at least how the dvd players are reading the hardware. I've figured out how to rip the dvds that won't work with another drive on another computer, then copy it to the laptop and be able to play it perfectly. i haven't tried burning it though, but obviously mplayer can play the files just fine so it seems to be a problem related to reading the disks.

Also, it might be worth noting that I'm ripping them with just mkisofs. It seems to work in a very specific manner though. On these DVDs, there's an audio_tx folder and a video_ts folder. I'll make the .iso with just the video_ts folder. Even then, I can't seem to be able to mount it like a loopback drive and play it, I have to copy all the contents from the .iso to the hard drive and play them that way. This issue was the same on both computers though, I'm not sure really what that's all about. This is probably common knowledge or something, but from the output that I'm seeing from mplayer, it seems like the .vob files are basicaly just mpeg formatted video files. This is probably totally unrelated, but at least there is a way to play those 'new and improved' encrypted dvds on my laptop. I haven't tried yet, but I'm hoping I can burn that .iso to a blank dvd and it will have the region codes stripped out. I guess we'll see. I can't seem to rip them any other way because of the encryption.
Silenzium
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R!tman wrote:
@ Silenzium: Try to set your region. Use 'regionset' from portage.

With that, you can most probably play dvds of the region you set. I am still looking for a "proper" :-) firmware upgrade, but this helps at least for the most dvds I watch.

I don't get, why the regionsetting could solve my problem. I don't have DVDs other than region 2. I never changed my region.

Code:
# regionset
regionset version 0.1 -- reads/sets region code on DVD drives
Current Region Code settings:
RPC Phase: II
type: NONE
vendor resets available: 4
user controlled changes resets available: 5
drive plays discs from region(s):, mask=0xFF
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2