View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Albino
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Getting Ati drivers to work in Modular X [Solved] Reply with quote

I migrated to modular xorg, following the guide in the desktop docs. Now when i try startx, I am told that it was unable to load modules kbd and mouse, and that it could not find drivers kbd or mouse.

I could ot find any corresponding drivers in /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers and there was no input folder either.

Could really do with some help.

Last edited by Albino on Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
chunderbunny
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you emerge "xf86-input-keyboard" and "xf86-input-mouse"?
Albino
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I just realised that during the emerge xorg-x11, it failed at the ati driver, so those 2 packages along with 20 others didn't get emerged. So I now need to fix it so that the ati driver doesn't fail. Whilst trying to emerge it I am told that DRM is disabled, should I enable this and if so how, I have loked through the kernel config and can't find any reference to DRM.
Albino
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok after reading in the AMD64 forum I found that the latest stable build of ati-drivers won't compile against the latest stable kernel, so I unmasked ati-drivers-8.22.5 and it went fine. Now I have also recompiled my kernel with the Ati Radeon cards set as modules. However when I run make && make modules_install I get this at the bottom.

Code:

WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.15-gentoo-r5/video/fglrx.ko needs unknown symbol agp_bind_memory
WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.15-gentoo-r5/video/fglrx.ko needs unknown symbol agp_enable
WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.15-gentoo-r5/video/fglrx.ko needs unknown symbol agp_backend_acquire
WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.15-gentoo-r5/video/fglrx.ko needs unknown symbol agp_free_memory
WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.15-gentoo-r5/video/fglrx.ko needs unknown symbol agp_allocate_memory
WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.15-gentoo-r5/video/fglrx.ko needs unknown symbol agp_unbind_memory
WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.15-gentoo-r5/video/fglrx.ko needs unknown symbol agp_copy_info
WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.15-gentoo-r5/video/fglrx.ko needs unknown symbol agp_backend_release

What now?

EDIT: Ran /opt/ati/bin/aticonfig --initial and inputted it into my xorg file, so now I'm using fglrx. No more nasty vesa, but I'm not getting very good FPS out of glxgears or from any of the opengl screensavers. So I'll take a look at the drm and dri settings I need. For now I'll mark this as solved.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: