Official Gentoo Themes Request
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
snakattak3
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 9:42 pm    Post subject: Official Gentoo Themes Request Reply with quote

Ok, here it is. This is what all you gentoo users have been waiting for, the official gentoo theme. Ok, its not official, and you might not like it. But I did this to try and start some sort of organized Thread/discussion where people can post thier gentoo-related themes, and hopefully get merged into portage oneday. BTW - The icon set on these forums is a great start, and the people who make them do a great job. But this is for just more than and including icons. This is not strictly to KDE either, as the stuff i have provided deals with KDE. I/we would like to see themes for everythign in linux, including gnome, fluxbox, blackbox, whatever you use. Also, xmms, gkrellm, etc... Anything thats skinnable should be considered.

EDIT

For xmms skin www.snakshak.net/gentoo/snapshot3xmms.png
go here - www.snakshak.net/gentoo/gentoo_curve.tar.gz

For these color schemes -
www.snakshak.net/gentoo/purple.png
www.snakshak.net/gentoo/gentooblue.png
go here - www.snakshak.net/gentoo/kde_colors.tar.gz
There is a script that will install all the color schemes that i have made
inside the tarball.

For acqua-emerge background by Raoul_Duke
to make you desktop a gentoo one, go here - www.snakshak.net/gentoo/acqua-emerge.png.

And for the official gentoo icon set that i've been resizing for kde
www.snakshak.net/gentoo/gentooicons.png
go here - www.snakshak.net/gentoo/gentoo_icons.tar.gz
To install them, mv the tarball into the icon set you are using, and
tar -xzvf gentooicons.tar.gz there, and it will override the old icons with the new ones i've added for kde. Ie- if your icons are called Aqua or something, mv it to ~/.kde/share/icons/Aqua, and tar -xzvf from there.
I hope that helps. There are only about 20 icons so far, check it out though.

Also, don't forget to check out jingram's post below for you *box users.

/Edit

I hope that this will start some sort of gentoo theme craze, or something like it, where people will start developing/designing areas in linux to look more gentoo like. They don't have to be purple and green, or something with a gentoo logo slapped on it, i guess just anything that can give gentoo its own distinct look, like how all the other main distros have. Ok, i guess thats all for now. Please enjoy my theme and good luck if you decide to create something.

Last edited by snakattak3 on Thu Feb 27, 2003 1:00 am; edited 2 times in total
vrih
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont take this the wrong way but i'ld have to murder that colour scheme within seconds of downloading it. it hurts my eyes
snakattak3
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 10:20 pm    Post subject: Good Point Reply with quote

Good point. I guess i didn't stress how unartistic i am. The point of this thread was to get people to make thier own that are better than mine. I just thought somethign simple like this could get the ball rolling.
modal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea, snakattak3. I like your theme, and your reason for doing it.
A lot of gentoo is about choices (choices in packages, optimizations, USE, etc)..so why not have a bunch of Gentoofied themes for everything? All available in portage!
I think it would be a great thing for the gentoo community. I wish I were artistic enough to make a theme, but I just like plain black and dreary.
I would really like to see some more gentoo themes, everyone.
jingram
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now, I'm pretty fond of the Bluebox style for Black/Flux/Open-Box, with the gentoo wallpaper in /usr/share/commonbox/backgrounds. I copied the style file, changed the background command and called it BlueGentoo (with proper credit to the original author).

If any one is intersted, the file is available at http://jingram.sixbit.org/BlueGentoo. Just put it in /usr/share/commonbox/styles/. A screen shot is here.

As for a completely original theme, I'm not all that artistic when it comes to graphic design. :? I'll probably get bored sooner or later and try coming up with something though.
noff
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

modal wrote:
Good idea, snakattak3. I like your theme, and your reason for doing it.
A lot of gentoo is about choices (choices in packages, optimizations, USE, etc)..so why not have a bunch of Gentoofied themes for everything? All available in portage!
I think it would be a great thing for the gentoo community. I wish I were artistic enough to make a theme, but I just like plain black and dreary.
I would really like to see some more gentoo themes, everyone.

A lot of people have proposed similiar ideas for use with the GEA (tlts). I liked your theme although it was a bit harsh color wise. I was hoping though to have a complete theme, ie use theme installer. I think you should follow the GEA thread and contribute. They need active people.

I would absolutely love for someone to put together a COMPLETE KDE theme. Splash screen, kdm, icons, everything else. That would be awesome. I wait for the day I do an emerge gentoo-artwork and it gives me a full icon set and several backgrounds.
What Larry was saying is that if you make it too easy for programmers, then poor programmers will be able to do things best left to good programmers, and will inevitably do them poorly. Everyone will suffer in the long term as a result." - Tom Chance
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh I like I like.. except the highly contrasted green text highlight... if it only weren't quite so bright :)

nice work tho! 8)
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how can we get / install your icon set ?
snakattak3
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

noff, I just left a post at the GEA thread, weird i never saw that in the forums, but i offered my services for what they may be. Thanks for pointing that out.

I'll try and get something to where you can use the theme installer too, but it will only work if you have that window decoration and
the .Net theme i'm using, so it won't ever be fullproof unless you install that window-dec and style first.
Sorry for the color scheme too to all people that have complaints. Maybe i'll try and make a NICER on the eyes one tomorrow, and i'll post that too. I just wanted to have a halfway descent full-theme that people could use, that way i just wasn't BEGGING and CRYING for people to start making gentoo themes, i just wanted to at least show an effort and contribute before i requested. Thanks to jingram too for posting a theme, maybe that'll make the *box people happy for a bit. Ok, i guess i'm back to the drawing board for a new color scheme. And as a request for the icon set i was using, go to
http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=5125
and theres instructions there. I'd put up that set that i have with the tarball, but its over 8mb, and i am hosting it on my own 266mhz laptop, so i can't give up too much bandiwidth can i?

Also right now, i'm working on making the official gentoo icon set kde usable, that is, converting the icons to all of kde's sizes. its gonna take a while, and so far i'm not liking how they scale down. Those icons are fantastic, but when you scale them down to 22x22 or a 16x16 for kde, you can't tell which is which. Maybe i'll figure something out. I'll read that thread too to see if anyones said anything about it. But those icons do really look great on my desktop, i suggest you all get them (since they are gentoo official : ) Heres what they look like now www.snakshak.net/gentoo/gentooicons.png

Ok, back to work i guess, and keep posting themes guys and gals, i wanna see what you can do.
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks.. I appreciate your efforts :D
snakattak3
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 12:40 am    Post subject: changed Reply with quote

ok, i did some changes to the way i'm displaying. Just look at the top of the thread for new stuff.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: