1.4_rc3, x86 "one size fits all"?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarkJedi9
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 9:16 pm    Post subject: 1.4_rc3, x86 "one size fits all"? Reply with quote

I just read todays newsletter and it says that rc3 should be out in like three days, but there is a line saying, "The x86 port will be a limited release meaning a single "one size fits all" compiled set of stages and no GRP will be packaged." Does that mean there will be no stage3 tarball for an Athlon XP (or anything else besides a generic x86)? If so, would I be able to install using the generic, add my CFLAGS in /etc/make.conf, and then do emerge -e system --deep, emerge -e world --deep to get everything going for my processor?
iKiddo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.4_rc3, x86 "one size fits all"? Reply with quote

DarkJedi9 wrote:
If so, would I be able to install using the generic, add my CFLAGS in /etc/make.conf, and then do emerge -e system --deep, emerge -e world --deep to get everything going for my processor?

Sounds like you could just start from stage 1, if you're planning to rebuild everything anyway.
DarkJedi9
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.4_rc3, x86 "one size fits all"? Reply with quote

iKiddo wrote:
Sounds like you could just start from stage 1, if you're planning to rebuild everything anyway.

Yeah, I'm assuming that would work but I've only tried a stage 1 install once and it didn't go too well. I guess another related question would be: "What exactly is different in the various stage3 ebuilds?" I get the impression it's just that the stuff is precompiled with the optimizations for the proper processor, but I could most definitely be wrong.
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You inclination is correct. I also think that the reason for releasing 1.4_rc3 with just a vanilla x86 build is because they won't have time to build and test everything else.
DarkJedi9
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

masseya wrote:
You inclination is correct. I also think that the reason for releasing 1.4_rc3 with just a vanilla x86 build is because they won't have time to build and test everything else.

Cool. So then, in your opinion (or knowledge as the case may be) would completely recompiling the vanilla build roughly equate to a stage 3 install?
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roughly, yes. There's not really a whole lot of solid documentation on the exact performance benefits of starting from stage1 vs stage3. If you used a stage3 tarball this coming friday and then recompiled everything yourself, you'll basically have done everything with your settings except bootstrap the system. To answer the question, "What does that really get me?" is another matter. Most people report that a stage1 just 'feels snappier' than a stage3, but that's not really a scientific thing.
DarkJedi9
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, then. Thanks for the info. I think I will try a stage 1 install and if it isn't going well for some reason then I'll fall back (forward?) to the stage 3. As for now, all I can do is anxiously await this Friday. :D
TripKnot
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, the stage 1 and 2 parts take up an insignificant amount of time compared to the rest of the compilation of your desired apps. Not-starting from stage 1, with stage 2 or 3 and then recompiling your system to get the extra benefits you think your going to get is just a time killer. Just compile from stage1 to begin with and be done with it. I for one applaud the gentoo devs for scrapping the other builds, at least for now. It allows them to devote more time to the more important things needed done to get 1.4 out the door.
DarkJedi9
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TripKnot wrote:
To be honest, the stage 1 and 2 parts take up an insignificant amount of time compared to the rest of the compilation of your desired apps. ... I for one applaud the gentoo devs for scrapping the other builds, at least for now. It allows them to devote more time to the more important things needed done to get 1.4 out the door.

Both very valid points. Thanks for the input. :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: