Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
What do you do when running 2.6 and portage says use 2.4?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ringo C
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:02 am    Post subject: What do you do when running 2.6 and portage says use 2.4? Reply with quote

I don't know whats going on but today I did a emerge -Dup world and portage started telling me to download gentoo-sources 2.4.xx ? I'm running 2.6 and have been for over 2 months. All of a sudden my system looks weird as well
like /etc/ whatever has files in them but ls says they are 0 bytes? things look bad .......

Last thing I did was emerge nvidia-settings, which I believe bumped me up to the latets nvidia kernel however when I tried to startx it failed saying there was a mismatch, someting like "API mismatch: nvidia kernel module is ver 1.0.6111, but this X module is version 1.0.6629" So of course I started looking around and found all sorts of weirdness.

So I tried doing a emerge -Dup world world again and got:
these two Items which don't match,
NS sys-kernel/gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.10-r6
NS sys-kernal/gentoo-sources-2.4.28-r7

WTH?!?!?! I don't run 2.4 anymore. My system is very confused and so am I. Does anyone have any suggestions?

** NOTE **
I just checked my portage logs and it seems to want to download both versions of nvidia-kernel ??????
The logs also say when I emerged the lastest version of portage: "QA Notice: ECLASS 'bultilib" inherited illegally in sys-apps/portage-2.0.51-r3"

need some help ...
uman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK first of all let's fix your filesystem. Boot into the gentoo livecd and use fsck. If you don't know how, it is very intuitive, just do fsck --help.
Ringo Chen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: fsck done Reply with quote

I checked the file system with fsck.reiserfs yada yada. All partitons came back without corruption.
It seems everything is fine in that respect. Why would portage start suggesting the use of gentoo-sources when I run 2.6?
I checked for 2.4 scr and libs on the system but I cleaned them after I was sure 2.6 was working correctly.
Would it possibly have anything to do with the fact that the orginal build was 2.4 and I upgraded to 2.6?

I ran a qpkg -d and it posted this:

app-text/docbook-sgml-dtd
app-text/docbook-xml-dtd
dev-lang/python
dev-libs/glib
dev-libs/libcroco
gnome-base/control-center
gnome-base/gconf
gnome-base/gnome-panel
gnome-base/gnome-vfs
gnome-base/libglade
gnome-extra/gal
gnome-extra/libgtkhtml
kde-base/arts
media-libs/freetype
media-libs/gst-plugins
media-libs/gstreamer
media-libs/t1lib
net-analyzer/arping
net-libs/libnet
net-libs/libsoup
sys-devel/autoconf
sys-devel/automake
sys-kernel/gentoo-dev-sources
sys-kernel/gentoo-sources
sys-libs/db
x11-libs/gtk+
x11-libs/gtkglarea
x11-libs/qt

I no longer have gentoo-sources on the system or do I
Thanks
wazow
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a related problem on my machine. I've been running gentoo-dev-sources for some time, but still keep gentoo-sources installed as a fallback (do not really now why). gentoo-sources are not in the world file, but they are still in the system class, and I do not know how to remove them. So portage regularly proposes installing new versions, which I do not want.

I realize that I can mask the new versions out, but this is just an ugly work around. I would like to tell portage that gentoo-sources are no longer in my system class. How do I go about it?
Ringo Chen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: I found one solution Reply with quote

I found a solution, not very elegant however being the gentoo noob that I am ...
I emerge -P gentoo-sources but found I still had the problem, this confused the noob in me, so I emerged portagemaster which showed I still had gentoo-sources 2.4.28-r7 which again suprised the noob in me because I thought that purging gentoo-sources would get 'all' gentoo-sources, then I remembered something about it "purging" everything except the "most current" or meaning the one in use. So with portagemaster I was able to find gentoo-sources easily and unmerge (which I could have done by CL) it. I no longer have that 2.4 problem. Somewhere durring this whole process to go strictly 2.6 I decided to use NPTL knowing that this does not work with 2.4 and hoping that this would solve my problem. It didn't however I am finding out that if you use nptl you end up doing a lot of recompiling (not that I mind). I did find a speed increase in starting and stopping applications using nptl and I like the changes it's made. Just an after thought.
Get portagemaster, run it and under "local" go to sys/kernel and you'll find all the kernels you have on your system. Right click on gentoo-sources and select "unmerge". Vola .... it's gone. Portagemaster has also helped me emerge a few items I was having problems installing. I'm also thinking I should clean deps so there are no old deps for 2.4 still hanging around.

As a side note, I'd like to mention that what started this confusion was me emerging the latest version of nvidia-settings after changing to nptl. It was recomended that I re-merge glibc so that I did. After that all hell broke lose. interestingly enough every time I tried to emerge nvidia-kernel using -Dup it told me to emerge the latest version of xorg (which Im not fond of) but none the less I did so and that corrected all of the problems related to my nvidia issues.

Hope this helps
spectatorion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: /etc/make.profile symlink Reply with quote

The /usr/make.profile symlink defines the profile to which portage should comply. Among other things, it dictates the target kernel that your system has. So I wonder, where does your /usr/make.profile symlink point? for me, it's:
Code:
# ls -l /etc/make.profile
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 46 Aug 23 23:47 /etc/make.profile -> /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/x86/2005.1
but there is a kernel-2.4 version of this profile, in which case, you might be pointing to
Code:
/usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/x86/2005.1/2.4
(or something similar--the /2.4 at the end is what's important and what should not be there if you are trying to work with a 2.6 kernel). It could be that you are using the wrong portage profile and upgraded your kernel without updating the profile. It's just a thought.

Also, what kind of video card do you have? I have a nVidia Riva TNT2 M64 (from August 2000), and I have basically given up on using the nvidia-kernel drivers, since the newer ones don't offer support for my pre-GeForce dinosaur. I just use the default nv driver, which is a shame, because I have been noticing that X is much slower lately, although upgrading to a 2.6 kernel (which I only did in the last month or so, mostly due to laziness) helped a bit. As far as I can tell, GeForce cards are fairly well supported, so if you have one of those, then you might have to look into your problems a little more deeply.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: