Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Gentoo install troubles (cfdisk), please help!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skics
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 9:29 am    Post subject: Gentoo install troubles (cfdisk), please help! Reply with quote

Hi all,

Well I finally bit the bullet and backed up my entire system so I could install Gentoo. So the install is going fine until I try to partition the drive... I type cfdisk /dev/hda or cfdisk or fdisk /dev/hda and they all give a permission denied/fatal error/error message. Nothing archane it just won't let me. This drive has a copy of Windows XP on it right now, I really don't care if it gets erased. I also tried zeroing the drive as the install manual recommends but it returns a permission denied error as well 8O

This is an ide drive (the only drive, aside from my dvd-rom) on the system.

Any help would be muchly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Skics
drakonite
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are running as root user when running these commands correct?

My GPG/PGP Public key
Skics
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats correct sir. I can't find anything on google or on these forums regarding this specific problem. Any ideas?
drakonite
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.. This is an odd problem. I assume you are trying to partition from the livecd then?

If you have a cd from some other linux distro laying around perhaps try using it to get the partitions straight? Or maybe give tomsrtbt disk a try?

My GPG/PGP Public key
Regor
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This problem seems to be coming up pretty regularly for some people. I've seen it in IRC a few times the last few days.

If anybody comes up with a solution, be sure to post it here. I've not come across a fix yet :(
-JeaN-
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there some kind of raid in your machine ?
Also did you check the jumpers behind your disk ? Some disks have a "read only" jumpers ..
What kind of motherboard do you have ?
What is your IDE configuration ? ( which one is master, slave, in which ide slot )
Also to boot you use the CD or another linux distribution ? Cause there is some parameters on the kernel that could make it happen, but if you boot from cd it shouldn't be a problem..

Last edited by -JeaN- on Sun Feb 23, 2003 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
gilesjuk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Gentoo install troubles (cfdisk), please help! Reply with quote

Skics wrote:
Hi all,

Well I finally bit the bullet and backed up my entire system so I could install Gentoo. So the install is going fine until I try to partition the drive... I type cfdisk /dev/hda or cfdisk or fdisk /dev/hda and they all give a permission denied/fatal error/error message.

Skics

A longshot but does your BIOS have some kind of virus protection? if so turn it off.

what does "fdisk -l" show? (that's a lowercase L)

It should display a list of partitions for all drives, perhaps your hard disk isn't hda but hdb? that can be the case if your hard disk is slave not master.
Skics
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no RAID or SCSI devices. I have one 80Gb Seagate Baracuda IV on the first IDE channel as master, and a dvd/cd-rw combo drive as slave on that same channel. This drive is not new, it has partitions all over it. I have installed Red Hat and Debian on it before, as well as Win2k and WinXp.

I will check for that BIOS virus protection but I do indeed think that that is a long shot. I am booting off of the athlonxp cd and I am going to try and do a stage2 or stage3 install, depending on how much energy I have.

Thanks for the help so far.
Skics
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I will also try moving the drives to separate IDE channels. I will keep you guys posted.
Skics
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, I got it licked guys. I just recently changed my drives around inside my system (put both of them on one channel), so I accidentally put them on the secondary IDE channel. This is nodamngood.org so I switched it to primary started the gentoo install process and it works like a charm.

Thanks for the help.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: