New Windows Computer
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alec
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 4:06 am    Post subject: New Windows Computer Reply with quote

I'm looking to help a friend buy a new computer. Since she's not into Linux and won't be, and more or less just wants Windows to work, I was thinking about a Dell. Has anyone had any experience recently with buying a desktop? The main thing she's looking for is tech support, stability, and affordibility.
handsomepete
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first recommendation is always if you can, build it yourself. Not because it's cooler (from a geek perspective, I guess), but because you know the exact quality of everything that goes into it, and you know it's put together how it should be with the software correctly installed. IMHO it's worth the extra cost. If you want to pick a company, everyone's crazy about Dell. I would avoid HP and Compaq until they've completely sorted out what they're doing (unless they already have). I don't know if Micron still makes PCs, but those were always good.
craftyc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you lived in the UK I would recommend Mesh, but obviously you don't. :)

My uncle uses a Dell PC. He has had one hiccup with them but it was sorted out (the hard drive went within four months of purchase, or was it three...).

Hope this helps.
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dell has good support, but heck I don't want to buy one (support cost a lot o money, can build a better system from scratch).

Dell and Compaq are the big names here.
alec
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I wish I could build one for her - I've always built mine and have never been dissatisfied. I had almost forgotten about Micron - I think I'm going to pursue them because I've been happy using their equipment at school.

Thanks guys.
wildcard
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

build--the last pc i purchased was a packard bell 33mhz 386.
gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Build it. Arrange her so she is around while you're building. Speek only in anacranims if she asks whats up.
Code:
I'm plugging the RAM, CPU, PSU, and NIC into the mobo
If she looks at you blankly, she's impressed.
Swishy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

having worked for an HP service centre ..I say build it..
Remember most oem parts come with a 2-3 year warrenty. whereas most prebuilt companies ie HP Compaq Dell etc have a one year manufacturers warrenty after that they DONT!! want to know you ..of course you can always get the extended warrenty through the external insurance company ...but that doesnt necessarily mean theyll cover it and if you read most clauses in the warrenty it states similar to "the repair centre doesnt have to install genuine "the company" parts" so basically the extended warrenty repair company most likely will be replacing the "high" quality manfacturers parts with whatever is the cheapest at the time........
...well I hope I havent offended anyone.....lol but worth thinking about.
jiminim
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swishy wrote:
having worked for an HP service centre ..I say build it..
Remember most oem parts come with a 2-3 year warrenty.

Exactly! My faithful Western Digital drive gave up the magic blue smoke last week, with only 2 months left in the warranty and I should be getting my new one any day now :)
Dolio
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 2:57 am    Post subject: Does anyone read the subject of replies? Reply with quote

I'd say build it as well. If they ever want to upgrade their system, it can be easier if you've build it yourself (depending on what exactly they want to upgrade). I installed an extra hard drive into a friend's Dell computer, and I had to put it up near the top (by the CD-ROM) with only one side screwed in (because I couldn't get at the other end, long story). It feels sturdy, but it's a little weird. Dells (from what I've seen) come with their one hard drive mounted vertically in a rack that only holds one (as opposed to every retail case I've ever seen which has a hard drive rack that holds like 2 - 4 mounted horizontally), so you basically have to install it in some weird place (either where I did or right below the floppy (which was too tight of a fit to work in my friend's computer)).

I also recall hearing that Dell at least used to sell video cards that only worked with Dell motherboards and perhaps vice versa, so when people wanted to upgrade one, their systems broke. I don't have any links or anything, and this was a few months ago that I heard this, so take it with a grain of salt, of course.

Dell does supposedly have great support, though.

(A little off topic, but a friend ordered a monitor from Dell (NEC MultiSync 95 or some such. Nice 19" monitor), and it "broke" within a year or so, so he called up Dell, and asked for a replacement. However, the tech support guy was sort of new, so at the end, he never said my friend had to send back the monitor. He even asked and the guy said, "Nope. No need." Meanwhile, the monitor "fixed" itself after a few days, so my friend now has 2 really nice working monitors for the price of 1. Heh.)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: