Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Bios overide software can't boot from cdrom......workaround?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raoul_Duke
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 7:17 pm    Post subject: Bios overide software can't boot from cdrom......workaround? Reply with quote

I'm about to install Gentoo on a different machine, problem is..........i have special software installed to overide the bios because it can't detect harddrives over 30gb. (mine is 60gb)

This software allows booting from floppy or boot-loader........but not cdrom. Is there anything i can put on a floppy to just access the cdrom and start installation from the CD. My bios allows this but if i go direct from cd, it by-passes the bios software and gives bad reports for the drive size. This causes all sorts of problems for installing, making it impossible to do :(

Anyone got any ideas?
gilesjuk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Bios overide software can't boot from cdrom......workaro Reply with quote

Raoul_Duke wrote:
I'm about to install Gentoo on a different machine, problem is..........i have special software installed to overide the bios because it can't detect harddrives over 30gb. (mine is 60gb)

This software allows booting from floppy or boot-loader........but not cdrom. Is there anything i can put on a floppy to just access the cdrom and start installation from the CD. My bios allows this but if i go direct from cd, it by-passes the bios software and gives bad reports for the drive size. This causes all sorts of problems for installing, making it impossible to do :(

Anyone got any ideas?

What software is it? what motherboard, chipset etc..?

This mentions alternative install methods:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/altinstall.xml

This thread discusses the floppy bootdisk method (some other suggestions there, including using a redhat floppy)

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=27951

ps. If the special software is something like Maxblast then leave that in the MBR, install your LILO/GRUB loader in the boot partition.
Mimamau
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also if you want to install only linux on this system, i would try to boot linux from the cd with the bios routine. linux doesnt use the bios to access the drive so it should detect your 60gb drive without problems.
Raoul_Duke
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys......

The smartboot manager looks good, although does anyone know how to use it just on a floppy to just access the cdrom drive? The website is a bit confusing :oops:
Raoul_Duke
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mimamau wrote:
also if you want to install only linux on this system, i would try to boot linux from the cd with the bios routine. linux doesnt use the bios to access the drive so it should detect your 60gb drive without problems.

I have tried that way and it doesn't see the correct sizes so i get stuck with a 2gb max install :(

p.s. the software is 'direct drive overlay' from IBM.....it's very good because it plays happily with grub :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: